Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115292 - 12/10/07 01:09 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, will try and get on if I am in decent enough shape. A full night on the heating pad at max might make a difference.

#115320 - 12/10/07 02:25 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A fifteen minute yoga routine every other evening. I went from waking up stiff and in pain every morning to feeling like I did in my late twenties/early thirties. grin

I can e-mail you a Quicktime movie of the routine (cute blond yoga teacher) if you want. You won't notice much change for the first few weeks but by 4-5 weeks you'll be amazed. The routine is designed for newbies.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115323 - 12/10/07 02:37 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: KG2V]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe

I not only have a script for Hydrocodone - I actually have pills, mostly because of my leg

I guess I worded my post badly. I meant I have a full prescription bottle of hydrocodone in my Personal Support Kit.

#115337 - 12/10/07 05:49 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: Stu]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I've lived with back pain since my accident on 8/8/93. I have spent many thousands of dollars on various treatments, including Chinese therapy. I am now to a point where I can manage it.

1. Start anti-inflammatory over-the-counter meds
2. Get in the bathtub and soak with near-hot water. Better, yet, go to the gym and alternate between jacuzzi and cold water several times
3. Start getting massage two or three times a week.
4. After the above have relaxed your back enough, you need to wind down the expense of massage and start stretching. The psoas (spelling?) muscle is one of your top goals. Get professional advice on stretches, but one that I like is I sit down on the carpet with both legs extended out. Then, I bend one foot back and set it next to my bottom. Then, lean back slowly. Hold for maybe 30 seconds. Switch sides. Start over. As time goes on, you'll be holding your stretches for up to a minute and eventually you'll be able to lie all the way down on your back with your foot curled under. This stretch alone, for me, has been a life saver.
5. Rolfing is great, but this therapy is expensive and painful.
6. Every once in a while, you'll lapse back. When that happens, start at step 1 again.

I'm convinced that stretching is one of the best things that you can do for yourself. Read up on it. There are a lot of positives.

#115338 - 12/10/07 05:55 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If it doesn't help, try a cane. Being a tripod (or quadruped!) is more stable, and changes the tension in your back and sides.

And being a cranky old man with a cane means you've got a friend in the airport.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115340 - 12/10/07 06:10 AM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
LED Offline
Veteran

As someone who suffered from knife-in-the-back, nausea inducing, immobilizing back pain for years, I feel your agony. Like Blast said, Yoga is gold for the back. They often have classes devoted specifically to lower back therapy. I'd also recommend a good Osteopath. If you haven't already, I highly recommend you pinpiont the source of the pain and what brings on the muscle spasms or inflamation (usually something related to unstretched piriformis/hamstrings and unconditioned abdominal muscles). After years of debilitating pain, X-rays, top orthopedic surgeons, costly physical therapy, I was finally shown simple stetches and exercises that has kept my back spasm-free (pain free) for 4 years now. Good luck.

#115356 - 12/10/07 02:12 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: LED]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
I got a Select Comfort mattress a few years ago. It helped enormously. I used to blink back the tears in my eyes when I tied my shoes in the morning. A couple of weeks to get the mattress dialed in and no tears since then. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I've heard the Tempur are also great.

#115359 - 12/10/07 02:49 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: lukus]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Yes, the tempur pedic mattresses are great!!!!

#115367 - 12/10/07 04:47 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: benjammin]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Hang in there, benjammin. I also pulled something Friday, so I feel your pain. I'm flying to Asia tomorrow so I'm a bit worried about hauling my luggage around, plus that 12-hour plane ride across the Pacific (coach class). I'm feeling pretty good today, so knock on wood.

Yeah, Tempurpedic mattresses are great! It's sort of deceptive. When you lie on it, it feels like a firm mattress overall, but you do sink in at the pressure points so the support is very even and comfortable.

#115370 - 12/10/07 05:33 PM Re: Oh the pain!!!! [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Originally Posted By: Blast
A fifteen minute yoga routine every other evening.

Good advice. I used to be good for one or two "immobilizing events" a year, until I started yoga. I do mine in the morning though, and the instructor is a guy, frown but it sure does work. Blast is also right that it will take a while for you to really notice the difference. This is more preventive maintenance than a cure for what currently ails you. Good luck on that airline seat.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.