The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#115364 - 12/10/07 04:14 PM Re: Barter Items [Re: Stu]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I have to disagree with your list. Everything on it is something you might need and not be able to replace. Sure its makes sense that people would want those items, but wouldn't it be better to trade luxury items, or items that are cheap now, but hard to get in a disaster?

How about soap? Soap lasts forever and its relatively cheap. In a disaster hygiene is both a luxury and an absolute necessity to combat disease. While you can make soap pretty easiy from animal fat and wood ashes, how many people will actually be doing that (or have animal fat to spare)? Soap is potentially a very useful item for trade.

Salt is another item I'd consider, it has many, many uses. Its hard to obtain in most places of the world unless you live on the coast or near a large halite deposit. But again, during normal times its cheap and easy to store. I'd get coarse Kosher salt by the 3 lb box and put each box in a zip lock bag (only important if you live in a really humid climate). Already measured out for easy use and trade.

Finally, what about unroasted coffee beans? More expensive then the other two, but if you can trade a luxury item for a necessity isn't that better then trading necessity you might need later? For people who drink coffee changing your drinking habits a bit would make stock piling a supply to trade laughably simple. How many people do you know that are ready to kill for a cup of coffee after only a day with out caffeine?

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy. Besides firearms are expensive, I can't store nearly as many as I can other items, and they're only good for big purchases. However, I might give a firearm to someone who was my ally or to cement a treaty. Selling a firearm gives away a tactical advantage, while giving it to an ally creates a more solid tactical advantage.

#115371 - 12/10/07 05:37 PM Re: Barter Items [Re: AROTC]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: AROTC

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy.

I can't remember who, but this reminded me of someone who has a signature that says

"He's dead Jim. You get his wallet, I'll get his phaser. Then I'll have both wallets."

#115393 - 12/10/07 10:29 PM Re: Barter Items [Re: hamilton]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
That used to be my signature! It's right up there with the Al Capone quote "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun then you can with a kind word alone".

#115407 - 12/11/07 12:48 AM Re: Barter Items [Re: AROTC]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...

Finally, I would strongly oppose including firearms more then anything else on your list, simply because I dislike the possibility of arming a potential enemy. Besides firearms are expensive, I can't store nearly as many as I can other items, and they're only good for big purchases. However, I might give a firearm to someone who was my ally or to cement a treaty. Selling a firearm gives away a tactical advantage, while giving it to an ally creates a more solid tactical advantage.

I agree IMHO if things were to the point where I was bartering, I would never trade anything that could be used against me even to cement an alliance. I may trade knifes but would be careful as to who got them. I would never trade a fire arm or ammo to anyone but a proven friend or family member.

#115408 - 12/11/07 01:02 AM Re: Barter Items [Re: raydarkhorse]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I strongly agree with you, Ray!!!!!!!!

#115432 - 12/11/07 03:11 AM barter items [Re: Stu]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Big ones (actually, very little) that most people miss is the little metal bits we never think about- fish hooks, needles, pins, safety pins, etc. Especially good ones.

You'd be amazed how many of them you can pack into a five gallon can, and how heavy it will be. But if things tank so badly you are bartering long term, those will be things you can't make so easily and even then they won't be so good.

Oh, and try these old threads:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=68048
and
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=60273

Those are the ones that turned up in the search from "barter".

Edited by ironraven (12/11/07 03:23 AM)
Edit Reason: search remembers

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115516 - 12/11/07 09:57 PM Re: Barter Items [Re: AROTC]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I have to disagree with your list. Everything on it is something you might need and not be able to replace. Sure its makes sense that people would want those items, but wouldn't it be better to trade luxury items, or items that are cheap now, but hard to get in a disaster?

How about soap? Soap lasts forever and its relatively cheap. In a disaster hygiene is both a luxury and an absolute necessity to combat disease. While you can make soap pretty easiy from animal fat and wood ashes, how many people will actually be doing that (or have animal fat to spare)? Soap is potentially a very useful item for trade.

Salt is another item I'd consider, it has many, many uses. Its hard to obtain in most places of the world unless you live on the coast or near a large halite deposit. But again, during normal times its cheap and easy to store. I'd get coarse Kosher salt by the 3 lb box and put each box in a zip lock bag (only important if you live in a really humid climate). Already measured out for easy use and trade.

Finally, what about unroasted coffee beans? More expensive then the other two, but if you can trade a luxury item for a necessity isn't that better then trading necessity you might need later? For people who drink coffee changing your drinking habits a bit would make stock piling a supply to trade laughably simple. How many people do you know that are ready to kill for a cup of coffee after only a day with out caffeine?

It's a list of items I may or may not have available. I sincerely doubt I'd be bartering with anyone I didn't know WELL, unless I REALLY needed something. I would not want unknown others to see what I have, at any time. If a well known friend needed a firearm or ammo, I'd possibly barter with them on those items, or any other item on my list. Strangers would be a whole nother story. Sorry I confused you.

I'm not storing many "luxery items", but am storing as many of what I see as necesseties as I can afford to buy, and have room for. Example Soap, I've a few 16 bar packs in my home storage, but I also know how to make soap if needed.

#115522 - 12/11/07 10:49 PM Re: Barter Items [Re: AROTC]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC

Ideally, we can all think of multiple ways through nwhich to obtain the things we need. Those people who are not so fortunate as to be able to get those things will want them. I think necessities are ideal items to haev for trade, provided you have or can obtain more than you need.

I had a buddy in college who came from a wealthy family in Panama. According to what he told me, the origins of the families wealth began with supplying water. His Grandfather supplied clean water for drinking during the building of the Canal. At first, he carried it, then as he made and saved money, he bought means by which to transport more. He also must have had a lot of business sense, because the family worked mainly on managing their investments. Clean water made their wealth, in large part, so necessities are not a bad thing to have for trade.

As far as luxury items, many may have no value what so ever, if everything really falls apart. If the economy and markets have all failed, then somethings thought of as prestigious items may have no value. If there is no gas or similar fuels available, luxury cars will be pretty useless.

Still, somethings, such as gold and silver, seem to always have value, without meeting a need more than decoration. Where and how one is going to be able to trade and barter in it, when society is in shambles, might be a big issue. If a major protion of your current wealth is wrapped up in a few coins, what kind of security are you going to need to bring them out and trade in them? I really do not ever see this happening in my lifetime, however I do have some coins.

Things that will satisfy things that others consider needs or assist others in satisfying needs seems to be the things of real value in a survival situation. I'd hope that in the short term, when disaster strikes and people are in need for a matter of weeks, my community (wherever I am) and myself band together and assist each other with some needs and barter never enters the picture.

A few things I think worth keeping for barter:

1. analgesics, simple pain meds. If people need to move and evacuate, someone is going to become sore, blsitered, banged, etc. A tylenol may be a real value for their comfort;
2. chlorine powdered or granulated, wonderful simple disinfectant for cleaning and cleaning water. It can be that you trade a bottle of bleach made with it or a gallon of water treated with it. Either may be of real value, and carrying the powdered chemical will be easier;
3. needles and fishing hooks. Either can be very useful in survival situation, are easily carried and are not commonly found in many households;
4. Salt, as sated above;
5. Rope, twine, string, thread, etc.;
6. Flints or other firestarters;
7. Yeast, although you mgiht prefer to trade a sourdough starter and save your extra packets of yeast.

Word of caution about chlorine, handle the stuff with some care and do not let a large quanity get warm. The chemical, calcium hypochlorite (calhypo) decomposes the entire time it exists. When it decomposes, it give off heat, when it gets warm, it decomposes faster. If it gets hot enough, it can go into runaway decomposition. In amounts as high as 10 lbs., it should be fine at 120 degrees F or so. But, as the amounts get larger the critical temperature gets lower. So do not go and fill your garage with the stuff and let it get above 100 degrees F or about 40 Celsius. If it goes into runaway decomposition, you will not be able to put out the fire that follows the explosion. If you want to read more, see http://www.onlinedmc.co.uk/in_re_m_v_dg_harmony.htm

#115536 - 12/12/07 12:01 AM Re: Barter Items [Re: Stu]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
If a well known friend needed a firearm or ammo, I'd possibly barter with them

If they're well known to the point I'd trade them for a firearm, I'd ask them to join the group instead.

#115539 - 12/12/07 12:23 AM Re: Barter Items [Re: Dan_McI]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
For what its worth, I understand that in the former Soviet Union, after the fall and when the ruble was about worthless and getting less so, one of the most traded/barter items was plain old laundry detergent. Maybe think about the necessities and daily items. How valuable is that last roll of toilet paper?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 629 Guests and 159 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.