Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114997 - 12/07/07 12:21 AM what other medical disinfectant besides alcohol?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what other liquids can one use as medical disinfectant besides alcohol? Let's assume alcohol is in short supply.
Can one use white wine as disinfectant?

#115007 - 12/07/07 02:17 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: picard120]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
What are you trying to disinfect?

#115017 - 12/07/07 02:56 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: JCWohlschlag]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

clean water and soap--i have about 20 empty saline water
bottles that were used in a hospital ER to wash out wounds.
great bottles for keeping things like rice and flour dry on
canoe trips..light weight--won't break--safe plastic--
wine??think about how it's made--fermented grapes..i think
you can use just about any liquid thats not filthy to wash
out a wound--and thats the trick..if you wash out the gunk
that was on whatever made the wound the body can heal itself.

#115035 - 12/07/07 01:20 PM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: CANOEDOGS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
As a liquid medical disinfectant, Povidone iodine, merthiolate, camphor, tea tree oil, bleach, hot water, silver nitrate (aq), ferric chloride (aq), copper chloride (aq). There's a lot more, just those off the top of my head to begin with.

#115076 - 12/07/07 09:06 PM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Hydrogen Peroxide

#115091 - 12/08/07 12:37 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: Susan]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
I'm not real fond of hydrogen peroxide as an open-wound disinfectant. Tends to "burn" exposed tissue.

That being said, I knew a surgeon who would use a mix of povidone-iodine and hydrogen peroxide to disinfect abdominal cavities...called it "the foaming brown goo"

#115092 - 12/08/07 12:42 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcohol? [Re: picard120]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Any alcoholic beverage can be a successful disinfectant (say, for medical instruments) if the alcohol percentage is high enough (say, around 140 proof, or 70% alcohol) and the exposure time is long enough.

Just about any alcoholic "drinking" liquid can be used to irrigate a wound, if that's what you're after. At the worst, it will help clean the wound.

There have been a number of studies using a bleach mixture for irrigating battlefield wounds, check google.

#115093 - 12/08/07 01:09 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: picard120]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
No but you can use vinegar.

#115095 - 12/08/07 01:16 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: NeighborBill]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
For disinfecting flat surfaces: lemon juice, vinegar, baking soda
http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/housewaste/src/research.htm

regarding surgeons and their thoughts on antisepsis: an arkansas orthopedist recommended the application of a paste made3 up of plaster dust and bourbon to superficial skin infections-he said the bacteria would get drunk and stone each other to death.

#115099 - 12/08/07 01:58 AM Re: what other medical disinfectant besides alcoho [Re: nursemike]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hydrogen peroxide works, but seems to be on the outs with first aiders. Apparently it keeps killing tissue long after it's used, so it slows healing. My unscientific experiments tend to support this, though I wouldn't hesitate to use it if that were the only choice. I still use it on my hounds because they can lick it without harm.

I'm told that mild acids like vinegar won't work on 'gut' bacteria like e-coli which are toughened against acid environments. For surface disinfecting, I always have household bleach on hand. Mixed with water in a spray bottle, plus a few drops of dish soap, it's the all-purpose cleaner/disinfectant. Kills mould and mildew dead, and hantavirus too (lot of deer mice around this old farmstead).

Betadine scrub works, but it stinks, stains, and is generally darn messy. Possibly good to have around since it seems to keep.

The best stuff I've found for for wounds is "Hibitane soap" which comes in a concentrated form. Mix very sparingly with water. Doesn't sting. Seems to work well on bacteria and fungal infections. Goes a long, long way too. I get it from my hounds' veterinary clinic. Half an ounce of this stuff accompanies me on outdoors trips. (To the best of my knowledge, it's the same stuff used on people, but can't be labelled that way if sold by a vet. That said, use at your own risk.)

High-test booze, as suggested above, will do a lot. I'd suggest taking a long swig before pouring it on an open wound. The swig, plus the jumping around and cursing that will follow application, helps encourage vascular flow. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.