Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115048 - 12/07/07 04:18 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Nomad]
jjmagnum Offline

"I can imagine no greater terror than being in one of those situations with no way to fight back. If I happened to be unarmed, and in the proper position, I like to think that I would charge the badguy while he was looking/shooting in the opposite direction, or even better, reloading. I may be old and worn out, but I can still inflict a world of hurt if necessary..."

OBG, I quite agree. Very well put.

#115049 - 12/07/07 04:27 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Nomad]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I am fortunate enough to live where licensed concealed carry is protected. About the only places I cannot carry are courthouses, airports, and churches, all of which I avoid like the plague.

This latest shooting does have me rethinking what I carry. I would sure hate to have been forced to trade shots with this loser armed with my Kel Tec 380. But that's what I find myself packing about 100% of the time now. Recent laziness has got me out of the habit of carrying something bulkier (read: more effective). No more. From now on, it will be the Kel Tec at work, and either the Sig or Colt at all other times.

#115055 - 12/07/07 06:09 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Blitz]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Blitz
"69-2441. (1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional, or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial school or private or public university, college, or community college; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law or rule or regulation."

Obviously this meant nothing to the gunman.

Of course not, nor was it designed to. No law is ever enacted with the intent of controlling criminals, they are enacted to control law abiding citizens. Criminals by definition disregard the law anyway.

The real idea behind Nebraska's sign law and similar laws in other states is two fold. First, it's a feel good measure for the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. (sort of like Disneyworld's "security bag check"). It's not there to make a real impact on criminals it's just a show to make the average drone feel better. Second, it provides the property owner with some (albeit limited) defense and statutory protection from victim lawsuits over crazed gunmen.

The property owner truly has very few viable options short of installing metal detectors at every door. Other options such as armed security guards and having no weapon policy each have significant legal drawbacks for the property owner. The property owners are in a no-win situation.

#115061 - 12/07/07 07:06 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: gatormba]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

In my state our CCW advocacy/lobbying group has done a lot of good work. One such victory is that we got the legislature to spell out very specifically what constitutes a valid "no CCW" sign. The sign's size, color, language, placement and symbology are all spelled out in great detail. For premises that have multiple entrances, every publicly accessible entrance must have such a sign. In "open air" venues the signs must be huge (3 feet by 4 feet, mounted at a certain height like 5 feet off the ground). Any business/entity that posts against CCW and does not make their signs like this has no legal standing for their anti-CCW action.

Do we go out of our way to notify businesses whose signs don't meet the code? No, we do not.

#115068 - 12/07/07 08:22 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
gatormba Offline

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
In my state our CCW advocacy/lobbying group has done a lot of good work. One such victory is that we got the legislature to spell out very specifically what constitutes a valid "no CCW" sign. The sign's size, color, language, placement and symbology are all spelled out in great detail. For premises that have multiple entrances, every publicly accessible entrance must have such a sign. In "open air" venues the signs must be huge (3 feet by 4 feet, mounted at a certain height like 5 feet off the ground). Any business/entity that posts against CCW and does not make their signs like this has no legal standing for their anti-CCW action.

Do we go out of our way to notify businesses whose signs don't meet the code? No, we do not.

And that's the way those type of laws should be written, very specific.

But don't get me wrong I am very much opposed to gun free zones (except court rooms, police stations, etc) and personally I avoid places that don't allow me to carry.

However on the other hand, I also believe very strongly in a property owner's rights to control and govern his/her property as they wish. I also realize that no matter what steps the property owner takes they are most likely going to be sued in a situation like Nebraska and win or lose it is going to cost them a small fortune in legal fees.

#115071 - 12/07/07 08:40 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: gatormba]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What about letting everyone carry exposed? It may act as a bit of a deterrent. When I was in Tucson people were allowed to carry exposed permit-free except in the normally off-limits places like cop shops, DMV, school... I kind of liked the idea.

#115072 - 12/07/07 08:45 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: MoBOB]
gatormba Offline

I would vote for a national open carry law. Although I'm afraid the chances of getting that passed by Congress and upheld by the Supreme Court would be extremely challenging.

#115090 - 12/08/07 12:34 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: gatormba]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I wonder what Von Maur did with their more than one million dollar anti-terrorism grant from Homeland Security?

#115116 - 12/08/07 04:35 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: jshannon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"I can imagine no greater terror than being in one of those situations with no way to fight back."

I can easily imagine something far worse. A crazed gunman shooting people and being shot at by a half-dozen mall ninjas who lack the self-control to know not to shoot and who can't understand that shooting at a target that moves and shoots back is a lot harder than their range practice.

I forget the actual statistic but some time ago the a statistic came out that police miss something like 25% of the time they shoot. Which has to be something of a slanted figure. Police have the need to withhold shooting until the situation favors the shot and will not endanger others.

The average mall ninja steeped in the need for Action, the mythology that says failing to act aggressively is unmanly, with self-control and consideration of consequences as entirely secondary, I would expect the number of wild shots, and collateral damage, to be much higher than what we see with the police.

And nothing makes a policeman happier than to show up in the middle of a shootout between a malevolent shooter and a pack of witless vigilante gunmen playing out their childhood hero fantasies.

If and when the original gunman comes under your sights in such a way that your absolutely sure he is not an off-duty cop, security guard or a guy just like you. If and when the shot is so much of a sure thing that you cannot miss and conceivably put someone else at risk. If and when both of these condition are conclusively, absolutely, metaphysically, fulfilled then and only then does it make sense to shoot.

Anything short of that and your best bet is to as quickly and quietly as possible to get you and yours out of area, away from danger and to a safe location.

Hint: Except for the rare shop in malls, usually tiny kiosk type stores, almost every store has a service entrance and/or fire escape in the back. This leads to a service hall or daylight. In the case of a gunman, fire, riot or zombie attack while your in a mall the fastest way out is to enter the nearest shop, walk to the rear and to go out the back door. The counter staff may object and usually going through the door sets off an alarm but push on through. Most people forget these exits exist.

If a crazed gunman gets between you and your way out and you are armed your certainly allowed to shoot him.

The chances of being in a mall during any such event is astronomically small. Nine dead, even in a nation of 350 million, is a tragic loss but many times as many people will die this year driving to and from malls. This shooting is tragic and justifiably a headline event. But it makes me wonder why the greater loss is so often and so easily accepted as just the way it is.

#115126 - 12/08/07 06:26 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Art_in_FL]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
A perfect post Art!

As to "why the greater loss is so often and so easily accepted as just the way it is." I think that is a combination of factors; I expect we all know someone who has been killed in a traffic 'accident' and, to a certain extent, traffic accidents are regarded as 'normal' due to the frequency of occurrence. The press sensationalise 'national events' that in reality only impact a very small number of people and generally ignore the ongoing carnage on our roads, through lifestyle choices, etc because people would get bored of hearing/seeing the same stories about heart attack, cancer, falls, suicide and vehicle collisions, and it does not sell advertising space/papers.

I believe the root cause of this 'head in the sand mentality' that pretty much everyone of us is guilty of when it comes to considering day to day risks is a combination of familiarity breeding contempt, e.g. I drive the same road everyday, it is familiar, therefore my brain decides it is a 'safe' environment and the fact the humans are particularly poor at taking a detached, probability based, view of risk in general.

As you say Art, the chance of being caught up in such an event is astronomically small. However the chances of winding up dead another, far more statistically likely, way may well not receive the appropriate level of our attention and therefore we do not take the appropriate preventative measures.

OIMO

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 455 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.