Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114955 - 12/06/07 05:37 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Shadow_oo00]
jjmagnum Offline

As a retired LEO (now doing something else) my reaction would depend upon whether my family was with me or not. If my family is with me I will get them out of harms way, no matter what. If I am alone however, my gut tells me I would probably look for cover and attempt to observe what is going on. If the situation turns into a stand off, and I have observed the suspect(s) the information may have benefit to the responding units. Doing this from cover however is the ONLY way to go.

#114959 - 12/06/07 06:47 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: DennisTheMenace]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Nebraska's concealed carry law was sort of a good news/bad news situation. Lot's of folks were happy another state had allowed concealed carry but Nebraska has a pretty extensive list of places that carrying is not allowed and even though the law just went into effect Jan 1, 2007 the Nebraska legislature has already passed a new law modifying it and adding to the list of restricted places. The newly modified statute is below.

69-2441. (1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional, or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial school or private or public university, college, or community college; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law or rule or regulation.

#114960 - 12/06/07 06:52 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: benjammin]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
I agree that it is a ridiculous policy for the business to choose but since it is authorized by a brand new Nebraska law and not just a rule of the private property owner there is actually very little chance of anyone recovering from the business owner just on the basis of having the policy in force. You would need to find something more substantial than the no gun policy of the business in order to recover for the victims.

#114974 - 12/06/07 09:02 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: gatormba]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor

At least they got a reasonable liquor clause. IIRC The TN clause just says liquor by the drink.

#114987 - 12/06/07 11:19 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: UTAlumnus]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

It would all depend on the situation for me, really. I'm mostly with everyone else here - if I'm with my family, I'd get them out first at all costs. If I'm by myself I'd have to say I'd run for it first, just out of plain self-preservation.

#114994 - 12/07/07 12:10 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
If I'm in the mall then the whole Hee-Haw gang is with me. (Lord knows I don't go there of my own volition. crazy) So removing them from the situation would be the first order of business. Escape if possible or find cover or concealment (in that order) if escape isn't possible. IMO rounding those in the immediate area up and moving into a store room, dock or any other space that offers a defensible position would be the most likely option.

Very sad situation. The families involved could surely use our prayers.

#115021 - 12/07/07 03:35 AM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: jjmagnum]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As another retired LEO, the only reason I still carry all of the time (with at least one full reload) is so that, should I be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and after getting my family under cover/gone, I can try to take the badguy out before he/she manages to kill/injure any more innocent people. I can imagine no greater terror than being in one of those situations with no way to fight back. If I happened to be unarmed, and in the proper position, I like to think that I would charge the badguy while he was looking/shooting in the opposite direction, or even better, reloading. I may be old and worn out, but I can still inflict a world of hurt if necessary...

#115033 - 12/07/07 12:48 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: gatormba]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
"69-2441. (1)(a) A permitholder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in Nebraska, except any: Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office; detention facility, prison, or jail; courtroom or building which contains a courtroom; polling place during a bona fide election; meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision; meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature; financial institution; professional, or semiprofessional athletic event; building, grounds, vehicle, or sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial school or private or public university, college, or community college; place of worship; hospital, emergency room, or trauma center; political rally or fundraiser; establishment having a license issued under the Nebraska Liquor Control Act that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of alcoholic liquor; place where the possession or carrying of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law; a place or premises where the person, persons, entity, or entities in control of the property or employer in control of the property has prohibited permitholders from carrying concealed handguns into or onto the place or premises; or into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law or rule or regulation."

Obviously this meant nothing to the gunman.

#115034 - 12/07/07 01:11 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: Blitz]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I suppose, then, Nebraskans are left with three choices:

1) Go to these public places unarmed and be a victim

2) Go to these public places armed and be a criminal

3) Don't go anywhere you can't legally carry a concealed weapon

Anyone with any sense is going to choose #3. As with the police station, do you suppose Mr. Insane Criminal is going to go somewhere he expects ordinary citizens to be armed? I would think if he had a choice, he'd frequent the easy marks instead.

#115045 - 12/07/07 03:33 PM Re: Nine killed in shooting at Omaha mall [Re: benjammin]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
[quote=benjammin]I suppose, then, Nebraskans are left with three choices:

1) Go to these public places unarmed and be a victim

2) Go to these public places armed and be a criminal

3) Don't go anywhere you can't legally carry a concealed weapon

These are the choice in most states where one can carry concealed. I try not to enter these "free fire" zones. Most of my friends will carry anyway, saying that all they can do to me if I am discovered is ask me to leave. I am not that sure. In some stated it is a felony trespass violation. I travel too much to keep track of all that so I respect the store managers request, but avoid the store if at all possible.

I agree with the poster that said the management should be made to assume the responsibility for my safety. The few times I have mentioned this to the manager they look at me like I am a nut-case. I think they actually believe that they are preventing weapons from entering their building.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.