Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#114865 - 12/05/07 08:44 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm glad I bought a 'small' SUV. I can go almost that far on 50L out on the highway.

#114874 - 12/05/07 09:45 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I'm glad I have a diesel. 42 gallon tank (159 liters) and 22mpg highway. That means I can travel over 900 miles or 1400km to a tank. Plus I can use fuel oil (home heating oil or dyed diesel) in an emergency, which is easier and safer to store than gas.

Do they make the Mega Cab Dodge with the Cummins diesel? I know the old 5.9L cummins with the 3.42 rear would get about the same mileage as my truck and you could order that with a 52 gallon (197 Liter) tank [the regular tank plus an aux tank]. Tough to beat as far as overall range goes.

#114884 - 12/05/07 10:55 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
My wife owns the SUV and she won’t let me get my hands on it (LOL!!) If in a bad situation I would rather my truck over a SUV any day of the week though. The fuel economy of the truck is worst but it sure offers greater flexibility in more situations. For a bit more gas I get all the power of a HEMI, my quad cab has almost all the passenger room of the SUV and I have far more cargo space in the truck, plus the ability for better off road performance and to tow a very large camper or trailer. (I would need to have an entire gas station on hand for this though) I don’t really foresee having to leave in that great of a hurry where I live. Besides a chemical spill or a fire the greatest threat facing my area would be a tornado (very rare) or a massive power outage. Although leaving is always a possibility in the back of my mind, Most of my planning is geared toward Bugging IN.

#114889 - 12/05/07 11:50 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Taurus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Taurus
My wife owns the SUV and she won’t let me get my hands on it (LOL!!) If in a bad situation I would rather my truck over a SUV any day of the week though. The fuel economy of the truck is worst but it sure offers greater flexibility in more situations. For a bit more gas I get all the power of a HEMI, my quad cab has almost all the passenger room of the SUV and I have far more cargo space in the truck, plus the ability for better off road performance and to tow a very large camper or trailer. (I would need to have an entire gas station on hand for this though)

That depends on the SUV. I've got a diesel Suburban which is basically an SUV on a 2500 truck platform. For bugging out I prefer it over a pickup truck. Pretty much the same amount of storage space in the back (and I can always put more stuff up on the roof), plenty of passenger room (holds 8 passengers), plus you can jump over the seats to get to your stuff in the back (whereas, with a truck you have to get out). Also, the back is carpeted and climate controlled, so you an sleep back there in a pinch. Off-road it's the same as a similar truck and it tows 10,000lbs (which is the same as a Hemi equipped 2500 Quad cab) plus it gets a lot better mileage doing it thanks to the diesel.

Each has their positives and negatives. A small SUV is going to have some advantages to a large truck and vice-versa. That's why I have quite a few different vehicles. A diesel suburban, a gas V8 GMC Envoy, a lifted Chevy K5 Blazer, two 3500 dumptrucks, a diesel E350 van, ect. Each one works best in certain situations, if one vehicle was perfect for every situation....everyone would own one.

Luckily, my garage is packed with lots of fun toys to choose from. grin

#114941 - 12/06/07 01:57 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Small SUV's only get slightly better gas milage than bigger truck based ones and do so by compromising in other places. They may be unibody or front wheel drive or basically cars in some other way to get that better gas mileage.
I went with the full size truck because I can still get 20mpg which is the same as most mid to smal SUV's that are true SUV's but I have more rear storage.

#114943 - 12/06/07 02:05 PM Re: Gasoline storage info [Re: Taurus]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Even without going to bigger tires, if your going to but on bush gaurds and racks then a rear tire/gar can carrier rack might be beneficial. A quick google search brought up this http://www.coloradok5.com/projects/beasttirecarrier2.jpg
I put a tall cap on the back of my truck so I could have soe covered storage and plan to build a rack something like that to get the spare out from under the bed. Then I can put an additional gas tank under the bed where the spare was and maybe eve still have a gas can or two on the rear carrier. I'm just trying to decide if I want to make the rear carrier plug into the trailer hitch which prevents me from towing a trailer or mounting to the bed (with reinforcement inside) like on the suv's or making a mount under or through the bumper or making a whole new off road style bumper and just incorporating the mount for it in it. I've put that project on hold until after I decide if I'm going to buy/build a truck camper or buy/build a trailer. If I go the truck camper route then I'll have to make sure any rear rack has enough clearance for it as they tend to hang back furthur usually sitting on the tailgate.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.