Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114297 - 11/30/07 07:38 PM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: LED]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Aren't those Texas feral hogs large and aggressive?

Yes. My biggest scare in the woods so far was when I encountered a group of nine pigs. We were able to scare them away by waving our walking sticks and feeling at the tops of our lungs. They didn't run off, they just slowly melted back into the woods and for the rest of the hike we'd catch glimpses of them pacing us off about 30 yards off the trail. eek The largest one seemed as big as our couch!

The Woodlands (a high dollar, master-planned community) has hired a full-time trapper to try and keep things under control. He lures them into hog traps using a mix of diesel fuel and corn as the bait. I forgot how many he said he catches each week. Small ones get sold to farmers, big one go straight to the meat processing plant.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114303 - 11/30/07 09:06 PM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Interesting. Apparently the feral hog meat is also prized by high-end restaurants willing to pay top dollar for it. I never imagined there were so many of them, over 1.5 million in Texas alone! From the Texas parks and wildlife website:

Quote:

Feral hogs may appear basically the same as domestic hogs and will vary in color and coat pattern. A mature feral hog may reach a shoulder height of 36 inches and weigh from 100 to over 400 pounds.

Hogs have four continuously growing tusks (two on top, two on bottom) and their contact causes a continuous sharpening of the lower tusks. They have relatively poor eyesight but have keen senses of hearing and smell.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/#harm

Edited by LED (11/30/07 09:07 PM)

#114311 - 11/30/07 10:05 PM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: LED]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Wow, I didn't know there were any bears in TX. Now, as far as one in The Woodlands area, I'd have to see the results of a drug test before I'd believe that.

The feral hogs do get big around here. An aunt and uncle of mine have a fairly large ranch and they are everywhere out there. One day he's out riding checking a field for dove hunting and surprised a couple of dozen feral hogs. He always had an SKS with him and as he grabbed it they took off running. He lined up on the one in front, and also the largest and shot him. Then he lined up on the second largest and shot it. On the third pull of the trigger the SKS was jammed.

The first, largest hog got up and ran into the brush. Virgil tried to unjam the SKS, but it was a bad jam. So he went back to the house, got another rifle, a Ruger revolver in .44mag, and my aunt, and went back. The second hog was down dead, so he found the blood trail for the first one. The trail disappeared into a hole (tunnel) in some very thick brush. After looking around a bit, he convinced my aunt (I kid you not!) to take the handgun and CRAWL INTO THE HOLE IN THE BRUSH TO FIND THE HOG!

She did find the hog, 18 feet in and dead. Anyway, AFTER dressing the hog out it still weighed better than 300 pounds. My freezer was full of sausage that year.

Another animal I didn't think was in Texas (except far east TX) is Beaver. A couple of weeks ago I saw 2 dead beaver on a county road just west of Belton. So to hear that bear are making it back is pretty cool.

#114320 - 11/30/07 11:15 PM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: lukus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Another animal I didn't think was in Texas (except far east TX) is Beaver.

I've had beaver swim along my canoe in the San Jacinto river, Spring Creek, and in Lake Charlotte. They are groovy dudes and in real life they can be somewhat intimidating.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#114332 - 12/01/07 12:39 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Didn't it say that they didn't know if he was mauled by the bear before or after his death? In other words, the bear may have not been the cause of death - heck he could have keeled over from a heart attack in the excitement of bagging his deer for all we know!

I've been in that area. My brother's friend had a trapping line at that locale and he casually pointed out some grizzly bear rubbings on a tree by the little cabin. Gord tried his hand at hunting deer once but an experience with a pack of wolves got him skittish while he was dragging the carcass back to his truck. He hasn't been back.

#114334 - 12/01/07 12:53 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: Roarmeister]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Didn't it say that they didn't know if he was mauled by the bear before or after his death? In other words, the bear may have not been the cause of death - heck he could have keeled over from a heart attack in the excitement of bagging his deer for all we know!

New info here suggests the hunter was killed by the bear.

#114348 - 12/01/07 01:58 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Bears don't attack corpses and they don't eat human.

#114351 - 12/01/07 02:35 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

??? There is nothing in the article l seen that suggests what you are saying...

#114352 - 12/01/07 02:40 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Bears don't attack corpses and they don't eat human.

Hmm, I don't know if you can say that categorically.

My understanding is that it's very, extremely rare for a blackie or a griz to attack a human with predatory (as opposed to defensive) intent. But it is not unknown. A young or desperate or starving bear may sieze any opportunity that presents itself. The fact that we humans have modified head-parts and a rather good opinion of ourselves doesn't diminish our caloric value.

As to corpses, animal or human-animal, I believe bears will indeed scavenge if need be. Again, it's nothing more than a free meal in a tough landscape.

#114355 - 12/01/07 03:08 AM Re: Missing Calgary hunter mauled by bear [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
As to corpses, animal or human-animal, I believe bears will indeed scavenge if need be. Again, it's nothing more than a free meal in a tough landscape.

There was the case of the woman who was treed by a 200 lb undernourished adolescent grizzly outside Canmore a few years ago. It is believed she climbed a tree to get away from it but small grizzlies can also climb. She either fell or was pulled out of the tree by the bear. The fall killed her, the bear did not. When found by authorities, the bear was chewing on her dead body - whether it was for feeding or biting her just out of curiosity isn't known.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 273 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.