The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114754 - 12/04/07 08:47 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: Art_in_FL]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Another cool use for a cheap tool. My son is now six years old. When he was five, I took a cheap tool and used my dremel to blunt all of the blades. Now, he has his own multi-tool "just like dad." All of the other tools are intact (including saw), but the knives won't even cut butter.

#114883 - 12/05/07 10:41 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: Scoutdoors]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've been trying out a very inexpensive (but not cheap!) folder for the last week. I've discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that I really like this pruning-blade, non-locking folder.

Here's the link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58313&cat=1,51222&ap=1

And here's my attempt at adding a photo (wish me luck):

Price: $6.50 !

Mini-Review:
- Blade 3" long, 7.5" overall
- stainless steel, chinese-made, Rc54-56, 1/8" thick at spine
- holds a surprisingly decent edge; better than 420, not quite as hard as 440
- very sturdy work knife
- because of the shape of the blade and the finger notch, I don't really miss having a lock; any way you use the blade or point, you put pressure in the right direction to keep the blade open
- I thinned out the cutting edge a little with a file; with the spine being so thick, I prefer to sharpen it at a pretty low angle

IMO, a useful, inexpensive blade as a spare in car kits, or as a gift for knife-borrowing friends.

#115062 - 12/07/07 07:10 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Since we are talking about inexpensive knives, I picked up one of the Swedish Military Moras from Sportsmans Guide. Heck, it was only $9, so I figured it was hard to go wrong.

Swedish Mil. Mora Knife

For the price, I have been extremely impressed with this knife. Typical carbon steel blade that's easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. It has a plastic/rubber grip that is easier to hold onto than the wooden versions. The sheath is plastic, and the little belt clip isn't the sturdiest looking thing in the world, but it retains the knife well and is quite functional.

For the record I am typically a knife snob, and own several knives that I spent > $200 on. If you are looking for an inexpensive knife to throw in a pack or give to your kids, this is a good choice.

Greg

#115070 - 12/07/07 08:34 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: Greg_Sackett]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Nice blade. The Moras are little workhorses, and they're light enough to throw in a bag or pack 'just for luck.' Like you, I prefer the plastic handles; not as pleasing to the eye, but I find them more practical and sturdy.

So it's carbon, not stainless?

#115075 - 12/07/07 09:04 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

This cold steel Kukri machete cost me about 30 dollars and is basically an inexpensive version of the more expensive kukri's they sell. You can dig, chop, smash, slice, cut and scrape with this knife under the most unfavorable conditions and it remains near impossible to break. It actually out performs my camp axe for a lot of field chores. If I do somehow break it I am only out 30 dollars as opposed to 300 for the expensive version.

#115078 - 12/07/07 09:40 PM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I always thought of Kukris as awkward until I bought a Fiskars Brush thinner machete. Now I see what people see in them. I still prefer the Fiskars to an actual Kukri simply because it's so light...I imagine that's what some people hate about it. It was about $30 too.

#115087 - 12/08/07 12:07 AM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I'd love to try both the CS kukri and the Fiskars hook. But I don't know an Alberta source for either. And if I have to import from the U.S., well, UPS turns a cheap item into an expensive one with their outrageous brokerage fees (shame!).

The broader question is: what qualifies as "inexpensive?" For me, that would be anything under $15. YMMV. Thoughts?

#115088 - 12/08/07 12:25 AM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The inexpensive line for me is a bit higher. Short of a Mora, I've yet to see something that I'd consider good quality for under $15. Totem outfitters on 99th Street in Edmonton (not sure where you're at in Alberta) carries both the carbon and stainless mora's the first for under $10 and the other for under $15.

I bought the machete at the Cabela's in Boise. I've seen them now and again around here but they're usually not as cheap as I found mine.

#115097 - 12/08/07 01:34 AM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Fair enough. I tend to think that inexpensive = functional yet disposable. My Spydercos, SOGs, etc. etc. are not 'inexpensive' by this definition, so I reserve them for major trips away. They don't see the rough work of an acreage yard, garden the size of two city lots, woodlot, old-house renovations, sausage making every fall, and my father's farm.

I guess I'm addicted to the 'find' -- the tool that costs next to nothing yet performs far above its price point -- the way some people love scrounging through yard sales even though they can afford to buy from the mall.

BTW: Visa and I are very familiar with all outdoor equipment retailers in Edmonton. *Sigh.*

#115100 - 12/08/07 02:04 AM Re: Cheap Knives [Re: dougwalkabout]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Check out this link, this is where I buy most of my knives. They are very fast to deliver, and if you check here and there they have a lot of clearance sales. Since it is Canadian you will not have to pay much for shipping. Hope this helps

http://www.knifezone.ca/

Edited by Taurus (12/08/07 02:05 AM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, chaosmagnet), 499 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.