The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114283 - 11/30/07 05:50 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Check out http://www.knifezone.ca/ as a consideration for us Canadian folks. Prices are decent and they ship really fast. No customs taxes either.

#114292 - 11/30/07 06:55 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I have read most of the posts in this thread, and everyone has an opinion about the one they have and use regularly and for them that is the best/ultimate knife till a better one comes along. I write this not trying to insult any one about their personal choice, but I know for a fact there is an ultimate folding knife. It is the one that I can use without breaking it when I need it. If in an emergency it works and does what you need it to do, it is the ultimate knife. That being said I make sure that the knives I have and that will be in my hands are of good or better quality. If you stick with a quality knife that fits your hand and feels good, at least till you find the next one it is the ultimate knife (for you).

#114296 - 11/30/07 07:28 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Well spoken my friend.
I think I may have screwed up a little when I first posted this. I shouldn't have asked such a broad question. I simply wanted to know what else was out there that I may have overlooked and what people were saying about the knives they were using, good or bad. I find it hard to search most websites for honest info because as we all know, they will all assure you that their product is the best, even if it isn't. The info people have been giving me has been very useful so far.

#114301 - 11/30/07 08:35 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Harsey T2

#114302 - 11/30/07 09:03 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier
Well spoken my friend.
I think I may have screwed up a little when I first posted this. I shouldn't have asked such a broad question. I simply wanted to know what else was out there that I may have overlooked and what people were saying about the knives they were using, good or bad. I find it hard to search most websites for honest info because as we all know, they will all assure you that their product is the best, even if it isn't. The info people have been giving me has been very useful so far.

Don't worry about it! We've all asked a question that elicted less pleasant responses from more experienced forum posters (mine was of the "Would an EMP blast cause LED lights to malfunction?" variety)

I found your question useful because I'm trying to create/stock kits within a very tight budget. Each purchase decision has to be a great one because I don't have a lot of money to waste. (Most of us on the sight are in the same boat). Because I don't have backups and redundancy built in, I look for the best gear at the best price because I only want to purchase 1 knife right now because I also have to purchase 1 flashlight/1 Ritter PSK/1 firestarting set, etc to cover as many situations as I can before getting the back-ups.

Sorry for the long reply. Thanks for the question and thanks for serving Canada in Afghanistan.

#114310 - 11/30/07 10:04 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: JohnnyUpton]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Nice pic, but why don't you give us a little more input than a name and a jpeg. Drive-by posters. . . wink

Edit: After looking at the Harsey T2 tactical, plain edge web page, the 3.9" S30V blade is nice. It has a locking-liner which may or may not be nice depending on how it works with gloves and when it's wet and slippery, but that's true with any knife. However, I prefer to not have my fingers in the blade arc when I close a knife -- personal preference and that's a requirement to close a locking-liner.

Edited by RAS (11/30/07 10:16 PM)

#114312 - 11/30/07 10:12 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
JohnnyUpton,

I have to say, I'm practically in love with Harsey. Is it the T1 or T2 that I like though, cuz I always forget? Their auto knives have the trigger under the scale, so that it's protected from the environments. Good steel, great handles, looks pretty tough. My problem is the price and finding a place that sells them, so I can handle them.

How has it treated you so far?

I usually EDC a Kershaw 1660G10 - it's the Leek model, assisted opening, S30V blade and G10 handles.
http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresults.php
It's probably not what you're looking for in a combat environment, but it's great around town. I usually have a SAK classic on my keychain for the other odds and ends I do.
Also have a Hinderer for when I finally for when I start my service time.

Edited by MDinana (11/30/07 10:15 PM)

#114317 - 11/30/07 10:52 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier
I am guilty of using my knife as a pry bar quite often(especially to open wooden ammo boxes)

While I sincerely appreciate the compliments and recommendation by everyone for the RSK Mk1, if you're looking for a folding pry bar, it's not for you. It is certainly robust enough for typical survival tasks, but it is designed to slice, not pry. NO folder is really a reliable pry bar, but if that's what you're looking for, then look at something like a Strider (a real one, not the Buck version). You compromise in other areas, but it will stand up better than most if you're going to abuse a folder like that.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#114326 - 11/30/07 11:53 PM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I don;t know about the ultimate folder, but here's the ULTIMATE solution: buy a folder (your choice) for cutting and a prybar for.....well, prying.

#114327 - 12/01/07 12:04 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Geez, next Doug will be telling us to not use the tip as a screwdriver smirk

Really, the Stanley 7.5" pry bar runs less than $10 at Home Depot.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.