Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#114151 - 11/29/07 11:21 PM Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife?
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I have different knives for different jobs just like all of you, however there is one knife that never leaves my side, my trusty folder. Be it making fuzz sticks,cutting heavy strapping and rope or simply peeling potatoes while camping this is my most used knife either at work or play. I currently carry a cold steel Recon 1 with a spear point blade. This knife has served me well in every aspect as well as being at my side on two overseas deployments. I hate to replace something I have become so attached to. Problem is, Just like a favorite pair of broken in boots, the old girl is starting to wear out. The screws are stripped from repeated tightening(one actually broke and is missing) and the locking mechanism is getting loose due to repeated use jammed full of sand(from abrasion) while overseas. I have decided not to buy another Recon 1 because of the modifications I had to undertake to get the performance I wanted. For my particular use, I need a knife which has:
a. A strong rounded point
b. A strong lock
c. One handed opening
d. A plain edge (I hate serrated blades!!!)
e. At least 3-4mm blade thickness, and no more than 4 inches in blade length.
f. A handle constructed of materials that will not dissolve when in contact with fuels etc
g. A large lanyard hole

I would also prefer a reduced glare blade, which is resistant to corrosion but not covered in stuff that scratches off with use.
I tend to put my knives through considerable abuse as you can tell.(see picture)
I have only been involved in these forums a short time, But there is vast pool of knowledge to draw from here. As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I would like to hear some suggestions on what you guys are using out there.

PS: I have been looking hard at the Cold steel Ultimate hunter and the Doug Ritter knives here on this site. Does any one have any knowledge on these??

[img][IMG]http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1679/dbd003tv4.th.jpg[/img][/img]

#114183 - 11/30/07 02:46 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*shudders*

"Ultimate", "best", "if you could have only one", it's all the same basic question. Asking that question about knives is like asking it about guns, or cars, or wives, or religions. Bad question that always leads to screaming, yelling, wally wagging, the breaking of perfectly good pool cues and so forth and so on.

You pick the one that is right for you. You show it off. But never asking someone why they picked theirs.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114187 - 11/30/07 03:28 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
tacticalight Offline
Stranger

Have you looked at www.knifeforums.com ? There is an overload of info on knives for all purposes there and quite a few people selling in the "knives for sale" section that haven't even really used em (i.e. occasional great discounts on basically new stuff). In between them, this forum and www.candlepowerforums.com its a miracle i get any work done at all...

In researching the ritter grip, one of the big points that kept coming up was the strength and popularity of the AXIS lock mechanism. It is supposedly quite well thought out. I was torn between the S30V ritter grip and the standard $65 154cm steel grip which is also supposed to be a fantastic overall knife. To be honest, I probably would have just purchased the standard, hollow ground 154cm grip if i hadn't just sold one of my spydercos ($40 extra bucks burning a hole in my pocket + rave reviews of the ritter = another order for aeromedix and an empty discretionary spending fund for alex blush)

good luck!

#114192 - 11/30/07 04:11 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: ironraven]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I am not interested in starting an argument with anyone. If people cannot carry on a civil conversation on why they choose one knife over the other without screaming, yelling, Wally wagging, or breaking pool cues then that says a little bit about their character.(or lack of it) I am a big boy, and at the end the day I will make up my own mind on what I will spend my money on, But It is nice to hear other peoples opinion on the subject, If I didn’t want to hear what people have to say then it wouldn’t be much point to join a forum now would it?
Plain and simple, if you don't like the questions that I ask, then don’t reply to them. I will extend you the same courtesy.

#114193 - 11/30/07 04:18 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

I don't think that IronRaven's post was meant to be interpreted in such a manner as you did. I read it a few times and in my view, he did not point his words at anyone in particular and you should not take it as such....

#114194 - 11/30/07 04:29 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Don't mind Raven...For every question he has 3 answers...and even when people don't ask he has 2. wink

I bought my first Kershaw knife earlier this year and so far I've been super impressed. The Cyclone is a Ken Onion design and while it's a bit heavy it's way way sturdier than what I'm used to with my previous Gerber folders. Lets see if I can run down your criteria with it:

a. The tip isn't beefy but it's respectable. The curve of the blade is fairly sweeping
b. Just a liner lock...but it's beefy too.
c. Assisted thumb or index finger opening. Don't know why I went so many years 'flicking' knives when stuff like this existed. With this knife you can turn it off if you don't like having a spring loaded blade in your pants.
d. plain edge made from Sandvik stainless.
e. 2mm thick. 4mm seems like a lot for a folding knife...at least by my standards.
f. Anodized Aluminum scales.
g. Big enough for #550...what more do you need? It also has a pocket clip which is reversible for lefties like me.

This is where Raven gets to smile from the shadows. This knife is perfect...for me...and for what I need a folding pocket knife to do. Do I carry other knives for other situations...damn right I do. Do I think they're perfect? Yes...for me...and what I need them to do.

My advice is get out there and handle as many as possible. There aren't a ton of good knife shops in the Edmonton area but if you make the rounds you'll be able to get your hands on quite a few. Even the knife kiosk at Kingsway Garden Mall has some good knives...even if their prices are horrible.

#114195 - 11/30/07 04:32 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
As far as the Ritter RSK Mk1 goes, it is definitely a worth-while knife to look at for your purposes. There may be a knife that you personally like better, but just make sure that your alternative is designed to be an every-day, all-purpose knife like the RSK Mk1 is. Versatility and dependability are the main attributes of any all-purpose knife.

#114200 - 11/30/07 04:50 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

It’s hard to tell what people really mean sometimes, especially on a post. If I misinterpreted what was said and offence was taken (by anyone) then I apologize. I am new to this forum, but I have already noticed the different personalities from the regulars. I will learn how to take each person in time. We all get a knot in our faces sometimes........

#114206 - 11/30/07 05:50 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: Taurus]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
How about Spydercos?

Endura, Native and Military (green foliage pictured) models might fit your bill.

#114212 - 11/30/07 10:23 AM Re: Is there an ULTIMATE folding knife? [Re: redflare]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I know the perfect knife for you.

Benchmade 520 Presidio

Built like a tank. smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 526 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.