Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114037 - 11/29/07 05:57 AM say it ain't so
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Like a lot of us, I got Sesame Street as a kid. And the first episodes are out on DVD. With a warning!!!!!!

*bangs head on the table*

I think most my generation turned out pretty good, even if we are bit prone to slacking and whining. So how can the Sesame street that worked for us be harmful to kids now? What, we didn't have a properly medicated rolemodel? Or is the fact that Oscar was cranky and grumpy and still a good guy once you got to know him is to scary? Or is wrong to have two friends fresh out of college sharing an apartment? Or do they think that having a guy who is fat and overweight and admits to be out of shape, but lives on junk food, is a leap of logic to large for kids?

What the *4,720 characters deleted by censors* is wrong with these people? These are the same people who put warnings in the Muppet Show DVDs- little kids still don't get the full meaning of the two dirty old coots in the balcony. You get worse in Shrek for pity's sake.

*bangs head again*
*a few more times*

OK, I'm better. But someone is still messed up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114039 - 11/29/07 06:16 AM Re: say it ain't so [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Well, if that's the case.......

Barney isn't for little kids either. The image of a large dinosaur is too scary.

Neither is Thomas the Tank Engine, because it might make kids want to play around train tracks.

Blue's Clues isn't either, I fear children might try to pet random blue dogs.

Come on, you've got to be kidding me. I really fear for future generations. If they can't cope with a different character on Sesame Street, how are they going to cope with life? What a joke.

When I was a kid I used to watch the Three Stooges and Merrie Melodies with my dad. About as close to random senseless violence as you can get. Even with that, I think I turned out okay. whistle

#114051 - 11/29/07 01:26 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: Paul810]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I watched the Stooges too. I do get the desire to make whooping sounds and pop someone in the forehead with the heel of my hand from time to time, but I somehow manage to control myself. So far at least.

I think that someone is always trying to make some excuse for poor parenting...

#114052 - 11/29/07 01:27 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: ironraven]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

What kind of a warning?

#114093 - 11/29/07 05:16 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: norad45]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's a politically correct magic trick. Listen to them go on and on about Sesame Street's "bad points", and miss the fact that the PC drones haven't got a clue. About teaching, about kids, about anything.

I haven't had a TV for several years now, but what I hear about it from my coworkers is scary. But it's okay to let the kids watch that crap?

America is dipping deeply into the well of insanity.

Sue

#114098 - 11/29/07 05:31 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: ironraven]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Personally, I think it's a good thing. Those warnings are already so nearly ubiquitous that most of us have stopped paying attention to them.

Does anyone seriously think that parents are going to stop their kids watching Sesame Street because it comes with a "parental advisory"? If so, they're dreaming in technicolor.

The reason I think it's a good thing is because it may drive the final nail in the coffin of believing that paying attention to parental advisories is better than actually taking the time to find out what your kids are watching.

It's the old story - "If everything is top priority, then nothing is a priority." The people who did this are, essentially, oblivious to the obvious (to the rest of us) fact that by doing so, they have admitted that the whole "parental advisory" thing is a useless exercise that nobody pays attention to.

And nobody is going to be affected by this in any way, shape or form, as far as I can see.

#114119 - 11/29/07 07:47 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: aardwolfe]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Wow. If Sesame Street is bad for kids, Roadrunner and Wile Coyote must be child abuse.

#114138 - 11/29/07 09:28 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazi...a1aN8mIVipYm/yw

Wow its got a parental advisory !!
I vaguely remember Sesame Street as a child and found it rather dull watching. We had much more psychedelic and completely wacked out childrens TV shows in the UK during the seventies such as 'The Magic Roundabout', 'Chorton and the Wheelies', 'Rhubarb and Custard', 'Rainbow' and 'Captain Pugwash'

Here's an example from Rainbow.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqEPgRc6IE

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/29/07 09:28 PM)

#114141 - 11/29/07 09:40 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: ironraven]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Hey, as far as I’m concerned, all of those children’s shows should come with a parental warning. That parental warning should read, in huge bold letters:

“NOT TO BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR ACTUAL, REAL PARENTING!”

Maybe they should even combine that with audio narration… a shrill woman’s voice screaming, as if something is on fire, the words in sync with their display might attract the appropriate attention.

#114153 - 11/29/07 11:27 PM Re: say it ain't so [Re: Susan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: Susan
It's a politically correct magic trick. Listen to them go on and on about Sesame Street's "bad points", and miss the fact that the PC drones haven't got a clue. About teaching, about kids, about anything.

I haven't had a TV for several years now, but what I hear about it from my coworkers is scary. But it's okay to let the kids watch that crap?

America is dipping deeply into the well of insanity.

Sue

Amen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.