Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#114057 - 11/29/07 01:45 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
You need A LOT of wood to keep a fire going for days.

That's kinda my point, if you have to cut it all you're going to be pretty bushed. But in Canada in winter perhaps that's your only choice.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"Construction," on the other hand, could require a more precise division of the wood.

What are you planning to build? I can't think of many things I'd want to build that require a precise length. Although my imagination doesn't go much beyond a brush shelter. I've built many of them and never needed a saw and probably seldom even broken anything to length.

I'm not trying to be combative here, just trying to figure out what I'm missing and if I DO need a saw I better start carrying one!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#114059 - 11/29/07 01:51 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have used just the saw in my Leatherman (a pretty damned good saw, even if a little short for some things) sooo many times, yet right now I can not come up with one good example. Maybe to make a bow/drill/board for trying to start a fire. Cutting a splint for a broken arm/leg/rifle stock. Making a crutch to help someone with a bumb leg. Too early for my higher brain functions (if there are any) to kick in...

#114066 - 11/29/07 02:43 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

Like I had mentioned before, I have a really good saw in my Gerber exchange a blade that has served me well in any endeavour, so far at least. I use it primarily in field dressing game and cutting wood for a fire. I know I can rely on it to make any kind of shelter in an emergency, and replacement blades are cheap. I had wanted to find a decent wire saw to include in my PSK for those times when I cannot carry my folding saw. After some fine comments from the crew here I see that a good wire saw probably doesn't exist. I have come to be able to do almost anything with my knife and a good wood club in terms of cutting wood so I guess the wire saw is no longer an issue.

Just out of curiosity, some of you have said that a Wyoming saw is better and safer than a Gerber exchange-a-blade. I am not going to argue with anyone, as I am sure you have your reasons for saying this, but I would like to know why.

#114068 - 11/29/07 02:50 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Canadian_Soldier,

I have never tried a Gerber Exchange-a-Blade saw can you give me the specs, like/dislikes on it, maybe I need to try one?

Thanks

Mike

#114071 - 11/29/07 02:56 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: SwampDonkey]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i have used wire saws, but stop using them. Now instead i have a manual chainsaw in mine PSK tin. The chainsaw works much beter, but for normal tasks, i prefer mine folding saw.

#114076 - 11/29/07 03:39 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Taurus]
tacticalight Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Canadian_Soldier

Just out of curiosity, some of you have said that a Wyoming saw is better and safer than a Gerber exchange-a-blade. I am not going to argue with anyone, as I am sure you have your reasons for saying this, but I would like to know why.

Firstly, its too flexible. If you are cutting something that is really tough, cold, sticky, etc and the blade is binding now and again, the saw is going to bend as you attempt to cut (increases risk of breakage and risk of slipping of your hand off the handle and into the blade). Also, the physics of the handle being along the same axis as the blade on folding saws means that you need a deathgrip on the thing to avoid slipping your hand forward onto the blade (if the blade is covered in any sort of fluid like sweat, blood from killed game, etc, and it binds on something while you are vigorously cutting, you could slip forward).

The wyoming saw, on the other hand, offers you much better push/pull leverage (with the handle almost perpendicular to the blade), Less chance of blade movement/flex (blade attached to frame which pulls the saw blade forward and back while the gerber saw only pulls the blade back and relies on the stiffness in the blade to push forward without bending off course), and your hand position within the saw assures you cant run your hand into the blade. Lastly, I like that you have the option to buy a hacksaw blade for the wyoming, and that the blades are less expensive.

#114080 - 11/29/07 03:48 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada

I have never had any complaints with the exception that the fine bone cutting blade can become clogged and needs frequent tapping or wiping to clean the teeth when using it to cut heavy bone. It cuts plastic and light sheet metal in a fairly adequate manner as well. The course blade cuts wood very well, but is a little flimsy and needs to be really held strait in the cut to prevent pinching. Overall, it is about 15 inches give or take when opened. The cloth case has a slot to carry a second blade, which cost about 5 bucks to replace. The saw itself has rubber panels on the handle made from the same material as used on the handle of the Gerber Gator knives(very tacky, especially when wet) This saw has yet to disappoint me in any way, although it depends on what you need a saw for while in the woods in the first place. If I am not playing "silly bugger" in the field with the Army then I am in the field trying to stock my freezer with fresh meat. Nothing rips through the pelvic bone of a Moose faster than a good saw. This saw is also designed for one hand use which for me is a must, as I can hold innards out of the way with one hand while I cut. I use it a lot to trim overhead branches for placing tree stands as well, and being able to hold a heavy branch with one hand as you cut lessens your chances of dropping it on yourself. For a hunter I love this saw. If you are just a hiker you may have no use for it at all. Lastly, it cost me about 20 bucks as opposed to 60 bucks for some models which look almost identical. I actually got 3 of these for the same price as the more expensive Browning folding saw. Now I have one in my BOB, one in My hunting bag, and one in my truck at all times.

Edited by Canadian_Soldier (11/29/07 05:57 PM)

#114083 - 11/29/07 04:04 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I use the Gerber Gator EAB folding saw and find it to be excellent for sawing small trees, driftwood, etc. A bow saw is more efficient but the EAB doesn't need to be assembled to use.

I've been tempted to carry a bow saw blade wrapped in cardboard for emergency use. Some wire and a springy sapling and you can make your own bow saw.

#114086 - 11/29/07 04:22 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i did not take the time to read all the feedback except the
the one from Chris which hit the nail on the head. it's
an example of military spin-offs that are useless outside
the narrow "first" use. somebody,somewhere found or had see
this British escape saw and made a cheap version to sell to
survivalists.now these things pop up in every kit and are
what you might call a "negative" survival item..you think
you have something that will help and it only hinders.
i had one of these saws back in the early 60's whne i was
in the scouts..i used it once to try and cut a small branch
to cook a hot dog..halfway thru a finger size stick i
could see it was useless and got a real saw.

#114092 - 11/29/07 05:15 PM Re: Survival saw nightmare [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Has anyone had a chance to use the larger version of the Gerber collapsible bow saw? I haven't had a chance to try the saw but one of the blades is similar in appearance to one that one.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.