Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#113951 - 11/28/07 07:01 PM cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool
neuronboy2 Offline
Stranger

Hey all,
I haven't posted for about a year (my first year of grad school has kicked my butt) so I thought share how some of my PSK items have faired.
But First, why do cotton balls need to be soaked in vasoline? untreated cotton balls ignite just fine and for about 20sec. EtOH prep pads burn nicely too.

Arc-AAA flashlight:
This is hands-down the best flashlight I have owned. I have beaten the crap out of it and it's still ticking. It has been on my key chain for a year and I've lost count how many times I've dropped it on the pavement.

tip: if your Arc-AAA flashlight is difficult to twist and turn on, simply unscrew the head and screw back in again. I noticed after a trip to high altitude it was difficult to turn on, I unscrewed it and heard a pop sound. I must have opened it at the higher altitude and the pressure difference had an effect.

Gerber Legend: Battery acid, gasoline (which dissolved half the rubber inserts on the handle), some hardcore sawing and filing, and 3 years of carry, and 2 months of being lost in the backyard, have beaten my Gerber Legend up- but it's still kicking.

Problems: The fisker-like scissors finally gave out after 3 years of my children using them during church to cut scratch paper. After the scissors broke my wife offered to buy me a new tool. NOT LIKELY! It only took my 3 hours, but I replaced the broken scissor wire with a piece of a diaper safety pin (same thickness and curve).

The tip of the small flathead screwdriver broke, so I had to file it down to a new tip. [u][/u]

Okay, there it is. As other stuff I own get abused I will report on it. I have to say, I may just purchase a Leather Ti or something, just so I can beat the crap out of that for a few years to see how it holds up.

Dave

#113956 - 11/28/07 07:40 PM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: neuronboy2]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: neuronboy2

Gerber Legend: Battery acid, gasoline (which dissolved half the rubber inserts on the handle), some hardcore sawing and filing, and 3 years of carry, and 2 months of being lost in the backyard, have beaten my Gerber Legend up- but it's still kicking.

Problems: The fisker-like scissors finally gave out after 3 years of my children using them during church to cut scratch paper. After the scissors broke my wife offered to buy me a new tool. NOT LIKELY! It only took my 3 hours, but I replaced the broken scissor wire with a piece of a diaper safety pin (same thickness and curve).

The tip of the small flathead screwdriver broke, so I had to file it down to a new tip. [u][/u]
Dave

Gerber multitools have a lifetime warranty...no receipt required. Just phone their customer service number, send it away, and they'll fix it or send you a new one. I have had my Multiplier 600s replaced twice just because the wire cutter blades wore out.

#114034 - 11/29/07 05:43 AM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I think the word we want is "accelerant". smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114046 - 11/29/07 01:05 PM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: neuronboy2]
NAro Offline
Addict

I think the vasoline on the cotton does more than just extend burn time:
1) I've taken WET (not damp.. WET) vasoline-cotton balls, shaken them off, and they started with a spark. Sure... we're supposed to keep our emergency tinder waterproof. But I screwed up, stepped in a hole in a stream, and submerged myself and everything I had with me.
2) vasoline on the cotton ball provides you also with....(er..) Vasoline! Windburn, chapped lips, etc.

#114117 - 11/29/07 07:38 PM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: NAro]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Here here on the Arc AAA. Never had one fail me. Simple and durable is a great combination. There is a new version out that puts out twice the lumens with the same runtime.

#114445 - 12/01/07 09:22 PM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: NightHiker]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
RE the alcohol pads.....for those not familiar and who haven't had them do it to them....they do DRY UP. In the original packaging, still sealed, they will dry up. Do not know how long it takes (too many brands/sizes) but I found a few in an OLD kit that were drier that the Sahara in a drought! Remember to rotate stock....

#114458 - 12/01/07 11:00 PM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: CJK]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CJK
RE the alcohol pads.....for those not familiar and who haven't had them do it to them....they do DRY UP. In the original packaging, still sealed, they will dry up. Do not know how long it takes (too many brands/sizes) but I found a few in an OLD kit that were drier that the Sahara in a drought! Remember to rotate stock....

I just checked the supply of alcohol pads in the first aid kit. These pads are at least 6 years old and are still very moist. I lit one up with a lighter and it burned up the alcohol in no time flat.

Even though the pads are still good, perhaps it is time to rotate them out..

#114468 - 12/02/07 12:50 AM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A cotton ball without the Vaseline is kind of like a candle wick without the wax. Very different critters.

If you like the Arc AAA, have you seen the Fenix P1D CE (Cree Edition) LED flashlight? It puts out an amazing amount of light for such a tiny flashlight. My wife has one on her "barn keychain" which gets an unbeleivable amount of abuse, and it has taken it without any problem.

Its a little fatter than the Arc, but also shorter.

#114475 - 12/02/07 02:22 AM Re: cottonballs, prep pads, Arc-AAA, & GERBER tool [Re: KenK]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
+1 on the Fenix. The P2D can swap between the LxD series to allow you to use AA, 2xAA, or 1x123. Using the LxD head with a P2 body requires a P2 switch. I don't know if the same swap will work with the P1's.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.