Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113953 - 11/28/07 07:18 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: AROTC]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
Here's a good discussion on an ideal survival weapon.

It's geared toward the more common event that a high powered weapon is required- zombie attacks. Very informative.
grin

J

#113972 - 11/28/07 10:16 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: AROTC]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
My BOB or other "survival kit" that I might has put together doesn't routinely contain a firearm ....well ...at least until I can figure out how to keep it locked up to prevent theft.
But given the option of evacuating from my home I will defintely carry a weapon...probably more than one.
I have not been molested in my camping or forays in the woods, but the adage about having a gun and not needing it rather than not having one and wanting one is very appropriate.
To me ..its about being prepared. Sure my kits all have knives ...and I could use them. But the potential to be vulnerable to idiots and criminal elements during a disaster scenario is more likely than not in my mind. Given that the police confiscated firearms after Katrina is clear evidence to me that having a gun is warranted in any disaster scenario.
Bare bones ...would be a .22 and a .45 ACP .... An AR-7 and or 10/22 are preferred candidates for the .22 as well as Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkI, II, or III. While the nod goes to any 1911 etc, type pistol. Kit size would help decide... and walking vs use of my truck (or other vehicle) would dictate volumes of ammo and weapon duplication. Preference would be at least 100 rds of 45 ACP ...failing that, the gun w/6 xtra loaded mags would be good start. Can't see getting out without at least a couple hundred 22's though ... space and weight being so much smaller.
Owning guns but not taking them seems idiotic to me. Though admittedly .. given my work an inability to carry in my vehicle on a daily basis I can see myself with out them if I can't get home first.
I seriously doubt that after a disaster things will be the same as they are now ...look at all the looting etc that happens just when there's an extended power outage ... rioting after the Rodney King trial in the 90's...imagine that on a larger scale.
Sure ...its OK to object to firearms on moral grounds ...I'm OK with personal choice... but my choice is to own guns ...and I'm bringing in mine with me if at all possible. And with any luck ...I'll never need one.

#114028 - 11/29/07 05:14 AM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: AROTC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*looks around for a pitchfork and torch bearing mob*

*whispers* Because you can.

That's the answer for 90% of what we put in our kits anyway. *laughs* And you are right, there is no "perfect survival gun"- all guns are "survival" guns from the right perspective. If I had to pick the closest to ideal, it would be either a .357 or .44 with a 6" barrel, a similiarly chambered carbine, or a combo gun in 12ga/.30-30 or .30-06 with some sub-caliber adapters for a small game round.

For me, the why has a lot to do with feral dogs- not dumped pets, but true ferals, second or third generation. They are wild animals, but they are close enough to domesticated ones that they don't fear humans. Attacks have been rare, but I'd rather not be on the wrong end of one- almost once was close enough. Rabies has also been an issue around here, and while a rabid feral isn't something I've heard of, there is just the factor of mercy. If I was some place with catamounts, boar or aggressive bear populations (or bigfeet) I would carry something on the large side. Down south, I might carry something loaded with snake shot, so that if I do get bit I can hand the doc the dead snake so he can give me the right stuff. (And so I can eat it later- I hold a grudge, and as Man-the-Toolmaker, I win.)

In a longer term situation, hunting can be a part of it.

For bugging out, the main reason I'm bringing my Garand with me is becuase it is a family heirloom. I'm not leaving it behind if I have to evac, just like some people can't leave behind wedding pictures.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114060 - 11/29/07 01:51 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: ironraven]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ironraven
If I had to pick the closest to ideal, it would be either a .357 or .44 with a 6" barrel, a similiarly chambered carbine, or a combo gun in 12ga/.30-30 or .30-06 with some sub-caliber adapters for a small game round.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between a Ruger GP100 (.357 mag, 6" barrel) or a Ruger Super Redhawk (.44 mag). I kept being drawn to the higher power Super Redhawk, but in the end I chose the more versatile GP100. Not only does it shoot .357 but it will also shoot cheaper .38 special.

When you factor in the price of ammo, target practice with my GP100 is dramatically cheaper than what I would be paying if I had the Super Redhawk.

#114104 - 11/29/07 06:23 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Why do I think a survival gun is good to have?

Because I firmly believe that the best thing for folks to get through a disaster/survival situation is for a group of commonly minded people to work together for the common good.

Unfortunately, there are a few "folks" that feel otherwise, and the chaos that can follow in the wake of emergency situations seems be the starter pistol that brings them slithering out of their holes.

#114108 - 11/29/07 06:40 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven
*looks around for a pitchfork and torch bearing mob*

*whispers* Because you can...

That's the answer for 90% of what we put in our kits anyway.

More true words have not been spoken. If I put everything into my pack that I'd like to (and I've tried to make this work many times), the pack weighs over 70 lbs with food and water.

My kitchen table hasn't been able to be used in 2 weeks because it's all spread out systematically so I can try to figure out just where everything needs to go and what I can do without.

With that in mind I couldn't imagine adding another 8 lbs for something I won't use.

#114112 - 11/29/07 07:03 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I have several firearms in my kit, both short and long, because they add a amount of mental comfort to me. I feel best to have and not want, than want and not have. Saying that, my BOB is a BOY (Bug Out GMC Yukon). Due to injuries, I CAN NOT effectively run, and therefore can't employ the "feet don't fail me now" approach. If all else fails and I am attacked by 4 or 2 legged creatures, I've little choice but to stand and fight.
My long gun is either a .22/20ga or a .22/.410 Savage 24 combo. Being on th e East Coast, either cartridge will work well for hunting, and not much will argue with a 20ga Slug.

#114116 - 11/29/07 07:33 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: AROTC]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Outside of concealed carry handguns, when do you carry a firearm as survival gear? Do you carry it, or is it a home in case of a wider scale disaster? If you are carrying a "survival gun", why? Dangerous animals? Hunting? If hunting, what kind of game do you expect to be hunting? And finally, where do you live, work or recreate that you carry your survival weapon?

I carry some type of gun wherever I legally can. In my state that is darn near everywhere. I carry one mainly for defense against human or (far less likely) animal attacks, primarily dogs, cougar, or bear. When I bowhunt (for deer) I carry a revolver, usually a .44 mag. On other hunts I may be carrying a rifle (elk), shotgun (grouse), or the aforementioned Savage 24 combo (rabbits.) In the city it's either a Keltec P3AT, a Sig Sauer 239, or a 1911 (rarely).

I have no quarrel with people who decide they don't need to carry a gun, as long as they don't thereupon decide that I don't need to carry one. After all, who am I to decide what's best for them? I am however firmly convinced that everyone should know how to use one. it is just one more survival skill to have. It may never be used, but then again....

#114145 - 11/29/07 09:57 PM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: AROTC]
Spiritwalker Offline

For the same reasons I have other emergency equipment. I pray I never "have to" depend on it but I believe it's foolish not to be prepared. I may be able to fend off a wild/feral animal attack (as unlikely as that may seem) with a spear or club but I'd feel a lot more confident with a firearm.

#114169 - 11/30/07 01:43 AM Re: Why do you need a survival gun? [Re: Spiritwalker]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Utility aside, there is something extremely satisfying about packing a trail gun in a quality piece of gunleather. Come to think about it there's something extremely satisfying about the phrase "trail gun" - at least in my mind.

That's reason enough for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 540 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.