The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#113895 - 11/28/07 04:57 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
SAR is not the same as EMS, the scorn that some EMS providers have towards those dubbed "Ricky Rescue" isn't typically found in SAR.

While I am not one of those who carries the world with me on my belt or in a fanny pack working EMS (I carry what I need and use), I can't look down on those who have the passion for their calling as long as they don't just focus on the equipment. Unfortunately, the history of Fire and EMS is littered with posers (for lack of a better word) that are all toys and no knowledge, experience or even training that have spawned the "Ricky Rescue" and similar titles... Though, you won't find many providers calling well equipped vets those names wink.

As for SAR, there are significantly different survival needs vs. EMS. Some (to many) SAR volunteers discount the considerable dangers in SAR operations and far too often many are less then adequately prepared (in my opinion). In my opinion, you can't have a better rep then being the guy who has the know how and tools to get the job done.

#113904 - 11/28/07 06:26 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Alan_Romania]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Extremely good point. Good gear is no substitute for adequate knowledge and skill.

I've been trying very hard lately not to buy any new gear unless it's absolutely needed. Forces me to get creative with what I have.

#114653 - 12/03/07 07:40 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
grizhicks Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Indiana
Hacksaw -- Check out Gear911 (www.gear911.com). They make stuff for wildland firefighters; I have the Helitack web gear & day pack (but seldom use the day pack). Rides better than any military web gear I ever wore. Not much space for MOLLE pouches, but worth looking at. -- Greg (I'm a SAR K9 handler)

#114655 - 12/03/07 08:11 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: grizhicks]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think the Gear911 stuff looks the best so far. I really like how low slung the web gear is...could wear a standard issue vest over top easily and wouldn't have to replace something.

Nice tip Greg, thanks!

#115736 - 12/13/07 02:38 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
Hi folks, this is my first post and since it deals with search and rescue, well it caught my attention. I'm a member of a wilderness search and rescue team based in Northern Virginia, see us at smrg.org for more info.

I've been using a vest along with a backpack (an Arc'Teryx Bora 35 and most recently a TAD Gear FAST Pack EDC) for several years and thought I'd share my experiences. I was originally using a surplus Aircrew Survival Armor Recovery Vest, Insert and Packets (SARVIP) Vest worn by U.S. military helicopter crews.

Even though this vest was not originally intended for civilian search and rescue use, I was able to adapt it to fit my needs until I could find something better. I needed a vest with numerous pockets of various sizes to carry such things as my handheld VHF radio w/spare battery, GPS, map(s), pad and pens, head lamp and flash light, compass, whistle, lighter and other fire starting implements, spare batteries, flagging tape, medical gear, snack foods, and other odds and ends.

I had been searching to replace my aging SARVIP survival/medical vest for many months. I purchased it used and it started to deteriorate due to the wear and tear from training events and SAR missions. I needed to find a replacement more closely suited for search and rescue purposes before the SARVIP vest fell apart.

I finally found the Medical Trauma Vest manufactured by AWS, Inc., in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

It's a great vest and has served me well on field training events and wilderness SAR missions and rescues for over a year now. I'm in the process of completing a detailed review of the vest from the wilderness SAR perspective. Once a few more details and images are added, it'll be done. I'll post a link to it when it's done.

Edited by MtnRescue (12/13/07 02:41 AM)

#115778 - 12/13/07 01:08 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: MtnRescue]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire MtnRescue! Thanks for the info on your vests, that was really good.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115800 - 12/13/07 03:41 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: MtnRescue]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Yes, Welcome!

How does that second vest work when wearing a medium to large pack over top?

#115813 - 12/13/07 05:52 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Alan_Romania]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
I haven't experienced any problems with either my Conterra Alpine Crag backpack (my winter pack) or hauling one of my team's Conterra ALS Extreme Packs.

Initially I was concerned that the upper pocket I use for my VHF handheld radio would interfere with the Conterra pack's shoulder strap. It hasn't been an issue. Also the waist belts on both packs rides just below the bottom of the vest. So there's no intereference there too. If I was to add a duty belt to the bottom of the vest, which it is set up for one, then the pack waist belt would ride on top of the duty belt.

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
Yes, Welcome!

How does that second vest work when wearing a medium to large pack over top?

Edited by MtnRescue (12/13/07 05:56 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Eugene), 164 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.