The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113848 - 11/27/07 10:32 PM Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada

#113854 - 11/27/07 11:48 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Frankie]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Personally, that’s just a sad view of the parents, who obviously intentionally avoided teaching their kids how to tie their shoes by just buying their kids Velcro shoes. How pathetic is that?

As well as (finally) teaching the kids how to tie a shoelace knot, the teachers should also assign homework to all those parents… make ’em learn every darned way to tie (and lace) a shoelace there is: http://www.shoelaceknot.com/shoelace/index.htm.

#113856 - 11/27/07 11:54 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Frankie]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

LOL, some people would beg to differ with you!
"You Know What's BS? - Part 3"
(funny, but contains some foul language!)

#113873 - 11/28/07 02:07 AM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A couple of weeks ago we had our grandson with us for the first time in about six months. He is almost nine. Wears his shoes in the CA kid way, laces all undone, shuffling along so the shoes don't fall off. During the day we discovered that not only did he not know how to tie his laces, he had a major problem Untying a bow knot. Probably a combo of a lazy mom and the culture. Within probably 15 minutes we had him tying an acceptable bow knot. Sad. I can still remember making the paper (red and white) saddle oxfords, with red yarn at laces, and learning to tie them in KINDERGARDEN. Sad...

#113879 - 11/28/07 03:06 AM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yes, it is sad.

But look at it this way- if they lose their shoes, it means the lion is more likely to get them than you. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113924 - 11/28/07 03:16 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: JCWohlschlag]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Wow, I knew about ladder lacing, but I had no idea there were so many ways to lace and tie your shoes. Or that there were people so interested in the subject.

#113930 - 11/28/07 03:56 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: AROTC]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: AROTC
Wow, I knew about ladder lacing, but I had no idea there were so many ways to lace and tie your shoes. Or that there were people so interested in the subject.

laugh Yeah, I stumbled upon that site after finally getting tired of my shoelaces always coming untied even though I knew I was tying the bow as a reef (square) knot instead of a granny knot. Apparently I will research just about anything on the internet if I get annoyed enough. I actually use that “Ian’s Secure Knot” now and have for years… without a single self-untie incident.

#113938 - 11/28/07 05:20 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Frankie]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Frankie,

You can get normal shoes with velcro !!! The only pair of shoes I have with Velcro is on a pair of Sidi Genius road shoes.

The reasons it has velcro is to adjust the fit without having to stop and for safety. Laces if they come undone can cause a serious accident if they get caught up in the front chainwheel.

Velcro does have its place it certain applications. If children are not being taught to lace up shoes at grade 6, it really does make you wonder what other common sense things are not being taught by their parents. frown

How to tell the time on an analogue clock for example.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/28/07 05:23 PM)

#113960 - 11/28/07 08:31 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
My Kindergarten teacher taught me how to tie my shoes when I was 5. I still tie them the same way 40+yrs later!!

#113977 - 11/28/07 11:16 PM Re: Velcro generation needs schooling to lace up [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Velcro does have its place it certain applications.

Yes I acknowledge that but I would prefer that they use it only sparingly. I actually found out that Velcro (from velvet and crochets, two french words) dates back to 1945 when it was invented by a Swiss engeneer. He was inspired by nature, by the seeds of burdock:

I have Nite Ize headbands for my Mini-Mag flashlights. In this application it works well, but once it has been adjusted to my head, I leave it sticked permanently because I noticed that the hook size of the velcro started peeling the fibers of the nylon band.

On my TNF jacket, I thought Velcro for adjusting the sleeves at the wrists would be a good application but actually it would be easier with snaps when you have heavy mitts on. I have to use bare fingers to grab the small velcro backed plastic "tongue".

Frankie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.