Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#113831 - 11/27/07 08:02 PM A Tool That I Just Encountered
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
One of the Tankerman onboard this vessel, carries (and I am proud to see a sailor who actually carries a knife) a Stanley combination box cutter/knife.

The handle is large and has some weight to it. It fits my hand very well and has some rubber fitted along the handle to provide a good grip.

The spare box cutter blades are carried in the heavy duty nylon sheath, in a separate exterior pocket. Blades can easily be R/R.

The blade is approx 3" and is serrated half the length of the blade. It is a single hand opening and locks in the open position.

It looks like it would have some uses.

No, I am not affiliated w/Stanley in any way.

Has anybody else worked with this tool???

#113843 - 11/27/07 08:46 PM Re: A Tool That I Just Encountered [Re: wildman800]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If you mean this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00994843000P?vName=Tools&sbf=Brand&sbv=Stanley then yeah, I have one in my truck toolbox. Picked it up at WallyWorld for about $15 last year.

The "interlock" ensures only one blade can be open at a time. The utility blade has a button for quick changes.

It's got a heavy-spined 420C blade. The liner lock and handle seem quite stout, though I haven't done any heavy twisting.

One-handed opening is not easy, though possible. You have to push the thumb stud in, hard, to unlock the blade so it will open.

Despite the rubber insert, I find it slippery when wet. Solved that with some coarse emery cloth (and further solved it, by accident, when I had urethane glue on my hands).

It's a big sucker, too. Not unobtrusive on the belt. The handle is quite large and roundish, so it's not quite as handy as other utility knives.

As a worksite knife, where it may be abused, lost, or stolen, it's a decent choice. I doubt I would buy another one though.

#113845 - 11/27/07 09:07 PM Re: A Tool That I Just Encountered [Re: wildman800]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I had one when I was working as a foreman on a construction site a few years ago, and while I normally like and use Stanely tools this particular knife was an exception. I normally have no trouble getting and keep my knives very sharp, this one again was an exception, it came with a decent edge but I was unable to get it as sharp as I wanted it. Once I did get it as sharp as I wanted, it dulled very quickly. As far as the box cutter goes (the blade that was used most) within 2 months it was so loose it wouldn't hold the blades properly and they would sometimes pop out. Then almost to add insult to injury the sheath it came with fell apart. It's a good idea but unless Stanley has upgraded their materials and quality control I wouldn't spend my money on it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 230 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.