Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113514 - 11/25/07 06:18 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Additional note #2:

I am pushed into a bank waiting to lock, from my perch, I see the following:

Legal to pick up:
1) Cut pieces of lumber from a collapsed barn (enough to build a very nice, roomy shelter)
2) Electrical wiring (to lash a shelter together)
3) An abandoned refrigerator (instant comfortable latrine)
4) An undetermined length of 3" line
5) Grove of young trees (good for making a puptent style, wickiup, or lean to shelters)
6) Plenty of ground insulating material

Illegal to take/use: nothing to list.

#113516 - 11/25/07 06:27 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: ironraven]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Cool thread. I like the idea of using your brain and whatever one may find laying around. There may come a time when you are separated from your usual gear. So this is a good exercise.

When ever I go fly fishing I find tons of line and flies in the trees from others casting errors. I usually find this while looking for my own errant fly stuck in a bush.

I always see cans, buckets, plastic bottles and glass bottles when in the woods. Sad but true and useful in a pinch.

On many occasion at a local climbing crag that is used at night by kids to party at I have found very serviceable lighters and matches.

Thats just a few examples but if you factor in what trash is lying around here in Oakland the possibilities are endless.
Bill

#113534 - 11/25/07 08:59 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: wildman800]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Besides the vast tracts of wilderness surrounding the small coastal city (most call it a town) I live in and all that entails, there is of course the everpresent assemblage of minions, street urchins, and other idjit's just waiting to have their fears placated by receiving orders from a task master such as myself, or by way of cooperative-minded conversation...Maybe what I'm trying to say is that all those neat objects you'd like to think of as available are not going to come easily considering everybody else has their eyes on them as well. And that's assuming that either laws dissappear altogether or nobody is intent on upholding them. Both unlikely, in fact highly improbable. But it is nice every now and then to fantasize about inheriting the kingdom of the disinherited.

#113536 - 11/25/07 09:33 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: TQS]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I didn't know we were talking about a wtshtf scenario,at least not according to the original post, correct me if I'm wrong. I think what he was talking about is things laying around on a day to day basis, things you can pick up and use. If their laying around and you see them then obviously no one has the same idea and your free to pick them up. Even if its a wtshtf scenario I really think the unprepared outnumber the prepared, so that might still leave a 2x4 , plastic bottle or maybe even a wally world bag for us to scrounge.

"receiving orders from a task master such as myself" LMAO why doesn't that surprise me.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/25/07 09:34 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#113538 - 11/25/07 09:38 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Congratulations Shadow, you've figured out where I am going.

I'm looking at items that could be useful in the event that I got lost in the woods, had a small boat capsize, or any other event that could temporarily strand me in the middle of nowhere.

No, I'm not thinking of a TEOTWAWKI event.

#113542 - 11/25/07 10:31 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: wildman800]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Exactly, some people here see things the way they want to see them, not how they really are. I would hate to see them in an actual disaster/ survival scenario. Running around talking about everything but what they need to concentrate on. I might have to edit this post, I don't think I went off subject or used clever sayings and nursery rhyme's......lol Has anyone seen my fiddle or my faddle or paddle???

Man I have to read up on William Shakespeare, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Bill Cosby, and of course Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/25/07 11:06 PM)

#113549 - 11/25/07 11:13 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
TQS Offline

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Exactly, some people here see things the way they want to see them, not how they really are. I would hate to see them in an actual disaster/ survival scenario. Running around talking about everything but what they need to concentrate on. I might have to edit this post, I don't think I went off subject or used clever sayings and nursery rhyme's......lol Has anyone seen my fiddle or my faddle or paddle???

I just have to laugh at you, ooOO, you are ever upset that someone is different than you. Frankly, what I "need to concentrate on" is unknown to you. Further, some people think of having to concentrate as being evidence of lack of experience in a time of stress. My level of expertise in survival is also unknown to you, and reading a survival forum is not in the least bit stressful for me. But that is beside the point.
I admit that I do have a tendency to come across as dry, but scoring 185 on an exponential scale does that to a guy.
And once again, I must admit, I am sooOO flattered at your ability to oh-so competently categorize my facetiousness at attempting to show disconcertion toward yet another one of your blatantly negative responses that I have no choice but to think of you as a sort of guy who is fairly immature for his age (I'm only assuming you are older than your anger, for lack of a better word "anger", presents you as being), someone who will look back on all the fairy tales he once had told to him, and perhaps even told to himself (hmmm?), and finally learn something about himself and finally ask himself how he will hope to get along in a world of "others" without learning compassion, acknowledgement of differences of opinion, and acceptance of those differences, and cooperation. Simply put, you might one day realize that your attempts at exclusionism are an embarassment to you, but then again, maybe not.
Hold as many grudges as you like, for as long as you like, but please understand for your own immaterial growth that I'll not be yoked to your emotional incontinence. Oh yes and...I do see things the way I want to see them, but that doesn't necesssarily mean that that is not how things really are. But then again, maybe you are right. Maybe I should try to be more like you, and not have so much fun with life, or in the very least keep you in mind if/when I post so as to try to stay as "on point" as I can in the hopes of not upsetting you again. NOT! I mean, lighten up ooOO. If you take a forum so seriously that you can't handle anybody else's way of doing things, how is it that you sleep at night? You and I have spent way too much time bickering, and I hope you are not repeatedly commenting about me negatively in some reverse-psychological attempt at one day meeting me, because, dude, ooOO or not, I'm straight!
I mean seriously, did I step on your eyeball in a past life or something?

Edited by TQS (11/25/07 11:16 PM)

#113561 - 11/25/07 11:44 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: TQS]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

If you would only put all that breath to good use you might actually be of some use. How can you be so, how do I put it politely " ignorant of the fact" and still ramble on and use such big words.

Seems to me Q your the one getting angry and taking things the wrong way. I'm not angry at anyone, especially at you, I feel sorry for you.

And you certainly are different I'll give you that.

You sure use some big fancy words, do you even know what they mean. Talking to hear yourself again are you.

Your to easy.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/25/07 11:52 PM)

#113564 - 11/25/07 11:50 PM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
TQS Offline

Of course you do, and that's very kind of you to openly say so like that.

Edited by TQS (11/25/07 11:50 PM)

#113601 - 11/26/07 02:36 AM Re: I Spy Resources From My Perch... [Re: TQS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Man, I love the "Ignore" button. It makes me a happy fellow.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 629 Guests and 159 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.