Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113467 - 11/25/07 04:22 AM A friend of mine almost got kinapped
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

A friend of mine in US nearly got kidnapped by Mexican human traffickers. she used her military folder to fend off 2 attackers while she scream for help. A man came to her aid thus the thugs ran off. She had 4 attempts on her life.

It happened in city of Corondo. I don't know if it is near Mexico border.

how dangerous is it near the US-Mexico border anyway?

#113485 - 11/25/07 01:02 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I have some questions, Picard.

- Where is Corondo? I've never heard of it and I've lived and worked along this border most of my life.

- What was she doing down here?

- What was she doing at the time of the attack?

- How does she know they were "human traffickers"?

- Why did they want her?

Thanks

#113491 - 11/25/07 02:49 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If that's Coronado, CA, it's one of the safest little cities north of Tijuana I'm aware of -- please confirm. Very good police force and a heavy military/professional population. Screaming for help in Coronado will usually get you help.

That said, I have some of the same questions.

Originally Posted By: Stretch
. . .

- Why did they want her?

Thanks

#113493 - 11/25/07 03:06 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
According to Microsoft Streets & Trips, there are at least two Coronados in Mexico, neither of which are near the border...

#113518 - 11/25/07 06:34 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: OldBaldGuy]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yeah coronado is one of the safest places, it is although about 15-20 minutes from the san diego-mexican border. So yeah. It is really safe seeing how it has 2 ways in and 2 ways out. One is by a large brindge and the other across a narrow strip of land. Both could easily be shut down.

-jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#113520 - 11/25/07 06:45 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: picard120
A friend of mine in US nearly got kidnapped by Mexican human traffickers.

She had 4 attempts on her life.

It happened in city of Corondo. I don't know if it is near Mexico border.

how dangerous is it near the US-Mexico border anyway?

Mexican traffickers?
Picard; how would she know this? Were they wearing uniforms? Most Mexican traffickers are trafficking into the US not out.

4 attempts on here life?
Sounds like it is her that is bringing this on. I live in the #4 city for the highest murder rate and I have NEVER had an attempt on my life (I am 42). That includes living and working in the NYC metro area including Brooklyn and East New York. She must be doing something wrong.

Colorado is hundreds of miles from the border; try Google maps or something.

The US-Mexican border is very long; one cannot generalize for the whole length. But these days the border is probably more dangerous for Mexicans.

She was probably going to be raped or robbed instead of kidnapped. I have heard nothing about "Mexican Human Traffikers" in the US being reported in any news outlet.

I think you are a little paranoid of the US or something based on some of your posts. Here is a recent one but there have been others.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=113115#Post113115

Bill

#113524 - 11/25/07 07:38 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: billym]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Everything else aside, why would you blame the girl, based on what he said there is no logic behind that reasoning. Everyone knows that even though a story starts out with the actual facts by the time it gets back around to the original source its usually blown out of proportion, sometimes no but more often yes. Maybe the person he heard it from got some facts wrong in his attempt to relay the story. Or maybe someone assumed when they shouldn't have. Either way the girl was attacked, unlike a lot of men I don't think women go around asking for it or looking for trouble. She could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. He also said he wasn't sure where Corondo was, everyone isn't into geography. And just because in your 42 years you have never had an attempt on your life doesn't mean that it's not a common occurrence, Statistics beg to differ. Myself I've never been in the wrong place at the wrong time but I know people that have been, through no fault of their own. Just my opinion and reply to your comment, not meant to offend you.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/25/07 07:40 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#113526 - 11/25/07 08:06 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Shadow_oo00]
billym Offline
Addict

Shadow,
The point that he stated that this was the 4th time indicates a pattern of wrong place wrong time on her part.
Maybe I forgot to say that I am glad she is OK and whatnot but my first impression is that if this is incident #4 then she must be doing something wrong.
I have driven a beer truck all over NYC, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and managed to avoid incidents.
I was a sales manager of a prepaid phone card company selling in East San Jose, Ca. I carried over $5k in phone cards everyday. I watched where I parked and who was around when I pulled out cards to avoid attention. I acknowledged with visual contact would be thieves. Never had an incident. I now live in Oakland, Ca now going on 5 years and still no incident (even with a shooting at my local liquor store). Once I almost got mugged I think; I was walking at night and passed a fellow who acted very odd. He was very interested in me. He turned around and started to follow but I made a few turns and lost him in a bushy area of a park; he was looking for me though.
Anyway I have lived in big cities most of my adult life and actively avoid trouble. I also realize I have been lucky but I think I have made my own luck when it comes to street safety.
Picard's friend should think about what contributed to the incident as well as #1,2 and 3.
Bill

#113532 - 11/25/07 08:50 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: billym]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Maybe Picard needs to clarify a few points.

#113541 - 11/25/07 10:03 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Maybe he could start by answering those few questions...(?)

#113547 - 11/25/07 11:00 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Stretch]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

shocked what ???

#113548 - 11/25/07 11:12 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

This is the beauty of internet forums....Scroll up to second posting. If he answered the few questions I posed at the beginning of this thread, you would get your wish: a few points might be clarified by Picard. This would most probably lead to more questions.

Edited by Stretch (11/25/07 11:13 PM)

#113550 - 11/25/07 11:16 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: climberslacker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Having a large Navy base, complete with SEALS, probably doesn't hurt either...

#113552 - 11/25/07 11:27 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Shadow_oo00]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

[censored] about it. she gave the cops full detailed description of attackers but they didn't pursue the case.

#113553 - 11/25/07 11:29 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Shadow_oo00]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I have to ask her for the correct spelling of the city. I will get back to you on it.

#113554 - 11/25/07 11:29 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Well, that's assuming that the girl was in Coronado, CA. Coronado's western beach (well, only beach) is called North Beach, a popular surfer hangout. I used to body surf there on my days off. The Naval Air Station is called North Island (I think), and SEALS do train there. The whole island is replete with million dollar homes (some not more than 2200 square feet) and its crime rate is low. It could've been anybody from surfers to kids to servicemen....to dreams even....assuming, again, that Picard is talking about Coronado.

DELETED 2 PARAGRAPHS

Edited by Stretch (11/25/07 11:35 PM)

#113560 - 11/25/07 11:44 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Stretch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Yup, North Island is the NAS that is a part of the Naval Base, but but they also park carriers and other ships there. The SEALS, when going thru training, are ALL OVER the island, they can pop up anywhere anytime. Even when really pooped out, I suspect that they could make life rough for a would-be kidnapper. I'll that the original poster was talking about one of the Coronados in Mexico, where anything can happen...

#113563 - 11/25/07 11:48 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Colorado? Now I am really confused. As for "coyotes," most of them will run at the drop of a hat. They are paid to deliver illegal alliens into the USA, and if they even suspect that the law is around, off they go, leaving their "cargo" to fend for themselves. Not that it couldn't happen, but I have never heard of them being involved in white slavery...

#113571 - 11/26/07 12:13 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: OldBaldGuy]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

ok. I received PM from the girl. This is her quote message:

"The name of it is Coronado. It was in a rich neighborhood where close to a military base. and yes close to a beach I think at least a half mile from it. The illegals were in a blue van with very dark windows in the back. They had walkie talkie's and were pointing at me while in the van. Then when they saw that no one was around they made their move and got out of the van to come to me. They were speaking only spanish. And I prayed for God to save me, and then out of nowhere this man(white) with is little dog showed up. I stayed with him. and I took out my cell phone to call the police. They saw the cell phone and took off. And then 5-10 minutes later they came back. But I was with the white guy still. Thanks to him He blew their cover. I was one lucky girl that day.

The last attacks were not in the same city. The other other one happened in Chula Vista. The hispanic was making passes at me and asked me if I wanted a ride. I told him no but he followed me into a parking lot. I ran into a post office and asked for the people to get security. They called up security. And he was gone.

And the one that happened in 2004 was my fault. I decided to walk all by myself 4am in the morning home from work. The car was full of hispanics but they were my age. So i went to a house that was not mine but I pretended it was mine and started to bang on the door telling my mom to open up I am being followed by hispanics. They took off soo fast and then as soo as they were gone I took off myself running all the way home.

So the current one in 2007 It happened in Lansing Michigan Logan Square. I was just buying lunch. And then this red truck with a black man pulls in the parking spot and looks at me like he was going to do something. I looked right at him to show that i was aware of his presence so he wouldn't be able to try anything. But after I was walking away I turned to look back at him and there he was driving close to me and so I took off running screaming like a lunatic and everyone in the parking lot were lookin at me like HUH? And then his cover was blown and so he took off.

And the next day I bought a knife"

#113580 - 11/26/07 12:40 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

What happened to fighting them off with a military folder (what IS that, anyway)?

At least we got some answers and so did you, Picard.

Picard, your friend (no offense to either of you intended) is a S*#t magnet. She sure finds herself alone alot. THese won;t be the last four events in her life.

Edited by Stretch (11/26/07 12:41 AM)

#113584 - 11/26/07 01:03 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay so it was Coronado, know it well. I agree with Stretch; your friend seems to be situationally aware only after she gets into a situation, one of these days the guy walking his dog won't be there. Sounds to me like a group looking for an easy target -- kidnap or rape. Or. . .your friend is seeing something innocent and imagining the supposed attempted assaults -- we'll never know. I'm surprised the Coronado police weren't all over it. BTW, how did she know they were illegals?

#113587 - 11/26/07 01:14 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Russ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I just got back from a week in Laredo, TX, right on the border across from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. I had no troubles at all. Granted I'm a big guy, so factor that into the equation if you feel it's necessary. However, nothing happened to any of the "frail" people around me either.

Regarding the latest PM, I don't know the girl, but for these things to keep happening in different places...

I hate to be so blunt about this, but I'm drawing a few conclusions based on an acquaintance of mine that kept winding up in situations that are similar, or rather reported being in similar situations. I eventually, after witnessing what would later become the latest drama, understood that my friend was an attention seeker and fairly clueless about what a dangerous situation was.

Then again, some people attract trouble like a magnet, so who knows.

[sarcasm]In the end it's a good thing no white folks ever give her any problems...[/sarcasm] whistle

#113598 - 11/26/07 02:09 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Nicodemus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
was an attention seeker and fairly clueless about what a dangerous situation was.

+1 one that.

Quote:
[sarcasm]In the end it's a good thing no white folks ever give her any problems...[/sarcasm]

I noticed that too. Interesting...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#113614 - 11/26/07 03:47 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A woman's opinion:

A) She dresses like an easy mark, or

B) She's a drama queen.

In no particular order.

If these stories are true, she's not very bright, and is repeatedly putting herself into poor situations. And she doesn't seem to be learning very fast, either.

I've traveled a LOT, in a lot of different parts of the country, with no trouble. Of course, I pay attention to what is going on around me, and if a situation seems like it even might develop, I'm out of there.

And I tend to travel with a good-sized dog...

Sue

#113632 - 11/26/07 10:57 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Susan]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Let's face it. The ladies get a lot more unwanted and undesirable attention than the men. Actually, these events sound quite plausible. If I ever have my own daughter, I will be a nervous wreck.

#113633 - 11/26/07 12:16 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: xavier01]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: xavier01
If I ever have my own daughter, I will be a nervous wreck.

Don't tell me that, My daughter is two months old now. I've already tried to think of ways to keep some sort of identification on both kids in case they get seperated from me and have started looking into theose cell phones which send the aGPS information back to a parental web site where you can track them.

#113652 - 11/26/07 03:28 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: xavier01]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Not if you raise them proper. My girls, inexperienced though they may be about the ways of the world, have been trained to be situationally aware, practice gun control by going to the range frequently, exercise regularly, and seldom go anywhere questionable by themselves. They still occasionally get a case of dumba$$, but they are not obliviously walking around waiting to become a victim, and once they realize the risk, will work to minimize it quickly.

If you don't allow your kids to be molly-coddled, if you put them in situations where they have to struggle a bit, you may find that the results are that your children will learn to take care of themselves, and while their eventual independence may result in you being a bit lonesome for their company later on in life, you will be rewarded with knowing that they have a better chance than most of not facing some otherwise avoidable tragedy.

Your worst nightmares will be in contemplating the possibile malevolence directed at your offspring, especially at a young age. I found it most motivating for me to be a become a bit tough on them when it would've been easier to let them develop naturally as seems to be the politically correct thing to do these days.

#113663 - 11/26/07 05:05 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Stretch]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Stretch
I have some questions, Picard.

- Where is Corondo? I've never heard of it and I've lived and worked along this border most of my life.

- What was she doing down here?

- Why did they want her?

Thanks

she could tell they were human traffikers since the truck was loaded with illegals. One of illegal poke came out of the blue van to check the situation.

They might have want her since she could identify their van license plate.
Second, I guess that these guys might want to kidnap a beautiful white girl for underground sex slave market in Mexico.

#113664 - 11/26/07 05:05 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I've already tried to think of ways to keep some sort of identification on both kids in case they get seperated from me..."

Tattos are popular now...... grin

Sue

#113665 - 11/26/07 05:07 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Russ]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

She is fed up with the police. She said they are rich snobs whom don't want to get involve in dirty police search for criminals. They prefer to babysit rich white folks.

She carries a survival knife from this time on.
She came home from late night shift work in the morning.

#113695 - 11/26/07 08:51 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
billym Offline
Addict

Picard,
How on Earth could she tell they were illegally in the US?
Many Latinos/Mexicans (millions) are in the US legally and from my experience they look EXACTLY like their illegal counterparts. In some circles that would even be considered a racist assumption on her part.
No offense but from what you have told us she has some issues including not trusting the police.
Van loads of illegal immigrants are not driving around trying to pick up chicks; they come here for work. Sure there is a bad element in every group of society but to assume just because they are Latino they are illegal is a pretty bad assumption.
Your friend will continue to have this happen as she chooses to walk home alone at night. She should find a safer way to get to and from work or work an earlier shift.
Bill

Edited by billym (11/28/07 02:09 AM)

#113731 - 11/27/07 01:10 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...illegal poke..."

Poke???

#113800 - 11/27/07 02:33 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
She carries a survival knife from this time on.

She's gonna get that knife taken-away & used on her, if she doesn't know what she's doing.

#113851 - 11/27/07 11:25 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Themalemutekid]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

She doesn't know what she's doing or she does. Again, no offense to this girl, but I inferred earlier and others put it more bluntly, she's either deliberately putting herself in these positions or she has little to zero situational awareness.

I still want to know: What happened to the military folder? ...and, What is that? After all, she fended the "human trafficking kidnappers" off with it, didn;t she?

#113882 - 11/28/07 03:29 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Stretch]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

well, the other attempted kidnapping happened at noon on normal street in busy business district.

Well, her knife saved her life anyway. she want a real weapon other than a gun. Her boyfriend is away on military duty in Iraq thus he couldn't give her a ride to school.

If she were my young sister, I would never let her walk alone on any street. In addition, I would kill the bastards who lays a hand on her if I were there in person. It doesn't matter the race/color/creed of the attackers.

#113963 - 11/28/07 09:07 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: picard120]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Funny story: My father, who is a veteran of the Air Force, was once mistaken for an "illegal" just because he was out mowing the lawn while being Mexican.

After spending 20+ years in the service, my dad still retained many of the mannerisms of a military man: the high-and-tight haircut, the shined and polished shoes, the carefully starched and pressed work shirts, and his pride and joy: an immaculately groomed yard where the grass was cut in precise diagonal lines. I still remember when we lived at the Air Force Academy and we won the coveted "Yard of the Month" sign to display on our lawn.

One day after his retirement, my dad was working on our new "civilian" lawn when he caught the attention of some neighbor out for an afternoon stroll.

He came up to my dad and in all seriousness said, "Hey there! You're sure doing a fine job on this lawn! When you're done, how 'bout you come over to my house; I think I'll have you do some work on my yard next!"

My dad wasn't sure what to say exactly, so he replied, "Umm.... I live here. This is my house and my lawn."

The guy was so embarrassed, he turned really red, mumbled "Sorry" and walked off really fast. We never saw him again.

At the time, my family laughed so hard when he told us this story, because it is pretty hilarious. My dad signed himself up for school at the age of 6 without knowing any English, gained citizenship to join the military at 18, gave over 20 years of his life in service of this country... and stupid stuff like this still happens to him.

Originally Posted By: picard120
"open up I am being followed by hispanics."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that snippet.

Now, I've had the (mis)fortune of being rudely accosted by nearly every race, creed, religion, etc. on the planet. It comes with the territory of being a small, young-looking female. Tell your friend that a knife isn't going to help stem the tide of unwanted attention when she's still working a late shift, walking home alone late at night, and having zero situational awareness during the day.

#113968 - 11/28/07 09:53 PM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that snippet.

I vote cry, then get angry.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#113984 - 11/29/07 12:39 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Blast]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

I say don;t sweat it.

#114005 - 11/29/07 02:36 AM Re: A friend of mine almost got kinapped [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There was some old lady on Miami Ink that had her initials tatoed on her so her body could be identified in case she was killed in a hurricane.

I thought of printing and laminating a small ID card with their picture, name, address, our names and phone numbers, emergency contacts like their doctor and insurance policy numbers. Then make sure its always with them in some way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.