Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#113240 - 11/22/07 05:04 AM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Living an hour south of the border, my advice is simple:

Relax. If you act like a paranoid, stressed out twit, you'll be treated that way. People don't like being around that kind of person, and it insults your hosts.

You get into a babble about what you think is wrong with our country, and how it would all be better if were Canadian subjects, someone will stuff you in a large garbage can. Seriously.

Remember that the signs are measured in MILES per hour, not kilometers. I've passed people from Quebec doing 40mph (65kph) on the Interstate, they are a hazard.

Our thermometer will read funny to you- don't worry, they agree that fourty below is too cold to go outside.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113241 - 11/22/07 05:08 AM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Gah- ok, another piece of advice.

Don't compare DC to any place else. It is the strangest of the strange lands in this country, IMO.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113337 - 11/23/07 05:12 PM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: Roarmeister]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I'll have to ask my brother and his wife. They've been living there (south of '49) for almost 4 years. There are numerous subtleties (sp?) between the two. For my brother the change from Calgary to Colorado wasn't a big leap in one sense - geographically they still live in the shadows of the mountains.

The process of buying property is different; income tax and retirement savings use different vehicles. He has to use a tax accountant to do his taxes because he doesn't understand the nuances, etc. The sister-in-law can't work because she doesn't have a green card, heck she can't even do volunteer work because of the regulations...

Differences in food, restaurants, mannerisms, etc. No HP sauce! No Smarties! cry Moving money between countries can be a bit of a challenge. Little things, like the banks and post office personnel who know next to nothing about money orders and exchange rates. Speaking of - when they initially moved it was great for them as their US salary with the exchange rate gave them so much more up here but the shoe is on the other foot now.

One of the biggest things was the lack of general knowledge of the world outside the US by Americans was dramatic. They get Canadian sat TV, partly for the Canadian programming and sports and partly just to get news from more than one point of view for a change.

The city they live in is a military town and general attitudes are a bit more conservative but not overly so. I don't think the crime rates were much different. The Colorado city seemed like it had a steady growth rate whereas Calgary was boomtown central! Weather was obviously warmer - they had 92F in February! YMMV.

Flight connections to go back and forth isn't as great as they had hoped. Denver to Calgary isn't always straight forward. Sometimes having to port through Minneapolis to connect. Again YMMV depending on where you live. A Vancouver/Seattle or Hamilton/Buffalo crossover at the border is minor.

Yet for all the differences, they blended in and assimilated. There are a LOT more similarities than there are differences. Canada and the US are like "brothers" in a family instead of Canadians vs Australians who are "distant cousins" by comparison.

What is the US federal income tax rate? Can you ask your brother about it for me? please.

Does the US have saving plan like RRSP in Canada?

#113676 - 11/26/07 06:01 PM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: picard120]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
RRSP = IRA (Individual Retirement Account)

Also 401K is like a company pension in that you put your money in without paying taxes on it. Some companies have a match portion as well. You own it and can generally take it with you. Be careful about companies that want you to put all your 401K money into their stock (remember Enron/Worldcomm).

The IRS doesn't generally play well with the Canadian versions, but still want their taxes from them. It can be a challenge to mix various retirement vehicles between countries.

My main point is to do your research beforehand. Health care and taxes are generally the main issues.

As others have mentioned there are some great places/people in the US and like most other places there are some that are not. Trick is to find the good ones while avoiding the bad ones. There are lots of Canadians in the US. We usually get outed when we say OUT or ABOUT. I can't hear the difference though!

#113678 - 11/26/07 06:05 PM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You're also outed by ending every sentence w/AY.

Vive' l'Canadiens!!

#113679 - 11/26/07 06:07 PM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Tax rates are available at www.irs.gov

The marginal rates are similar, just you don't get into the highest bracket as fast as in Canada. Don't forget about State Income Tax as well.

www.paycheckcity.com has a calculator to see how much witholding for Federal, State an Local income taxes.

#113680 - 11/26/07 06:13 PM Re: how do Canucks cope working in the US? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

wildman,

That seems to be a regional thing in Canada. I have heard some use it after every sentence and like myself, very rarely use it. I think it works like more beer=more Eh!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.