Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112832 - 11/18/07 05:37 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One thing I noticed was that the tabs do seem to be smaller than the Esbit tabs...and definately smaller than the bars mentioned above. The instructions said they are reusable if you don't need a whole one but after a few minutes of burning, what isn't still solid or burned is in a pool of flaming liquid at the bottom...I didn't test what happens when you blow it out (liquidy mess? Stuck to the bottom like wax?). Based on my test I couldn't imagine using just one for anything.

Both of these stoves are extremely sensitive to wind. In the case of the RationZ stove it comes with it's own wind protection...more than the Vargo anyhow. I've been thinking about adding HD foil to my 'cooking kit' for just this purpose. The tent peg idea TheSock mentioned is brilliant as I carry about 8 in my bag to use with my Sil-Poncho.

Blast: I think it's very high quality however it doesn't feel like it. I'm always worried I'm going to break it because it's so damned light...but it's held up to everything I put it through just fine. If I have any complaint about the Vargo it's that it's very easy to spill the fuel when filling. The Trangia fuel bottle I have has a great spout on the end and even then I usually get some on me and/or the ground.

#112833 - 11/18/07 05:38 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Ah, on the Esbit website the 400mL of water was boiled with one 14g tablet, which was the size I thought Sock was talking about. Thank you for pointing out the difference. I didn't realize "tablet" equals "box".

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#112839 - 11/18/07 06:03 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that the tabs do seem to be smaller than the Esbit tabs...and definately smaller than the bars mentioned above. The instructions said they are reusable if you don't need a whole one but after a few minutes of burning, what isn't still solid or burned is in a pool of flaming liquid at the bottom...I didn't test what happens when you blow it out (liquidy mess? Stuck to the bottom like wax?). Based on my test I couldn't imagine using just one for anything.

Hmm, it sound like you have the being using poor quality hexamine tablets. The Esbits and even the cheaper ones from Hi-Gear (circular tabs) will not burn this way. It sounds as if a larger than normal quantity of the tablets binder is made from wax. The Esbit tablets have a more brittle crystaline texture and when they have completely burned there is very little residue. The residue, which is left is very small quantity of solid slightly sticky carbonised residue. There is no waxy or liquid residue left with good quality hexamine tablets.

#112843 - 11/18/07 06:16 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's good to know. I should try some Esbit fuel before I write it off completely. The soot on the bottom of the cup was a bummer and I know from reading that this is normal. It took quite a bit of scrubbing with a scouring pad to get it off.

I think it will end up going in the winter car kit I'm putting together either way.

#112863 - 11/18/07 11:36 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: raydarkhorse]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
Here is a cross to another thread about why carry matches.
Matches work great for these too.
Do you think so? I wouldn't expect them to light fuel tabs quicker than a Bic lighter. If you have to hold the lighter switch down so long you burn yourself, a match is liable to have gone out by then. If it's at all windy I'd allow several matches.

In practice, I find it best to use some tinder when lighting fuel tabs. I have some TinderCard which works. The alcohol stoves are much easier to light, but I dislike them because I'm worried I'll knock them over and spill burning meths over my tent and me.

I use the army stoves with the hex fuel Am_Fear_Liath_Mor describes. I cut the tablets in half because a half is often enough for me. (That's half a tablet, not half a packet.) I have no trouble blowing them out when done, and reusing the residue. As always, its best to have a lid for the pot.

#112867 - 11/18/07 11:47 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: Brangdon]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
It's one of the few thing I use matches for. I carry an Esbit stove in most of my kits. I use a varity of solid fuels and have never had a problem except the time I used a bic, it was not holding it so long but the angle I had to hold it at.

#112868 - 11/18/07 11:58 PM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: raydarkhorse]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
It's one of the few thing I use matches for. I carry an Esbit stove in most of my kits. I use a varity of solid fuels and have never had a problem except the time I used a bic, it was not holding it so long but the angle I had to hold it at.

That's hitting the nail on the head. I had to hold the stove up at an angle AND hold the lighter at an odd angle...this heated up the guard. I wouldn't have had a problem with my EDC lighter as it shoots a jet an inch long.

#112874 - 11/19/07 12:47 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have had no experience with Esbit/hexamine type stoves, other than I tried the Coghlan's Emergency Camp Stove copy with the small circular Coghlan Fuel tablets once last winter. I remember the stove was very effected by wind and that it took 2 or 3 tabs to boil about 300ml of water.

The fuel tabs were white in colour and granular, it kind of looked like compressed salt. Are these fuel tabs actually hexamine or trioxane (I have never seen either) just formed in a different shape?

My normal lightweight stove is a Snow Peak GigaPower stainless/auto, unless I am with a larger group then it is a large Coleman naptha or propane model.

Thanks,

Mike

#112875 - 11/19/07 12:57 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: SwampDonkey]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
the military triox tablets are purple

#112880 - 11/19/07 01:13 AM Re: Rationz Hexamine vs Vargo Titanium: mini review [Re: SwampDonkey]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Swampdonkey,

Yep, the hexamine stoves are affected by the wind and this will effect the efficiency of the stove quite badly. Getting the stove out of the wind is pretty important.

The British army stoves are normally issued with a Ration pack. The other metal piece is used to hold the military stainless steel cup above the stove.

and the cup fits around the 58 pattern water bottle.

The Ration Pack cardboard box also works quite well as a wind break if required. And when you've finished using it as a wind break you can then use it as a target card. smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 526 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.