Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#112122 - 11/10/07 08:41 AM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: leemann]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: leemann

Note to self get bandages for fak's

YEARS ago, as a teen, I was first to arrive on a NASTY car accident (2 doors down from my house) - all I had was 4x4s, and trust me - NOT enough. That's the day I learned that when you need a big dressing, you NEED a big dressing.

My FAK have had one since. Heck, last week, the company MD stopped by my office after she cleared me to go back to work - I opened MY first aid drawer, and she started laughing - I had more dressings for major trauma than she does in the exam room!! (I have thoraxic trauma dressings in there) PLUS I have TWO company 1st aid kits on the wall in my office - the current (I'm one of the floor wardens) and the one therey replaced (pulled all the out of date stuff - but the bandages and dressings etc are still good - she also got a chuckle that I had like 3-4 EMT shears sitting there (what can I say - you can get a box of 50 for like $20-25)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#112128 - 11/10/07 01:09 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: KG2V]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
The bloodstopper looks like the Olaes without the pressure cup

#112129 - 11/10/07 01:20 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: NeighborBill]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
The bloodstopper looks like the Olaes without the pressure cup

Nope, a bloodstopper is just a quick-dressing. A Oales-bandage also has 4 yards of gauze and a occlusive layer build into it. It also has velcro on the bandage to make it extra secure.

I would go with the Oales-bandages.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=107838&an=

I'll post a couple of pics of them when I get to it.

EDIT: Pics added in the Olaes-bandage thread. (BTW: it's Oales-bandage, not Olaes-bandage. I misspelled eek)

Edited by JIM (11/10/07 02:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Pics added

#112139 - 11/10/07 03:44 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: JIM]
mho1970 Offline
Stranger

Loc: KY
Why you should never stand on anything small and unbalanced when trying to reach the top of the China Cabinet.....

Years ago a friend was standing on a kitchen stool trying to get something off teh top of the China Cab. She had had surgery about two weeks earlier, and still sore(back surgery I think). When she slipped and fell into the front glass of the cabinet cutting both wrists. Luckily her husband was there to rush her to the ER. After the bleeding was stopped and they bandaged her up the nuthouse DR. came by to "Talk". Staff thought she had cut her wrists on purpose.

She's fine now and didn't have to spend time in the white jacket with long sleeves.

#112141 - 11/10/07 04:46 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: NeighborBill]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A good replacement for medium battle dressings, IMHO, is an old fashioned OB (Kotex) pad.

Good Luck on the healing process!!!

#112159 - 11/10/07 08:47 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: raydarkhorse]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Not a problem. My last eight years in the Army was in medical logistics, and even though the dressings didn't have a shelf-life, we figured out pretty quick what the limit was.

#112160 - 11/10/07 08:48 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: Blast]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Hey, Blast, sympathy right back atcha...I've got four cats right now and the only way I'd wash 'em is with lead shot (say, OO Buck).

#112161 - 11/10/07 08:49 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: Stu]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Complete and total fluke of an accident. I've got a new, healthy respect for large panes of glass.

#112162 - 11/10/07 08:50 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: Art_in_FL]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Heh heh...I understand about getting blood on the carpet, was an issue with the last DW. The window was located in the Man Room, wood floors, and luckily carpet wasn't an issue. Now, I've got a really cool stain to point out to the poker buddies....

#112163 - 11/10/07 08:52 PM Re: Lost a fight with a window.... [Re: NightHiker]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Half a liter sounds about right...from blood pressure checks afterwards I figured I'd lost around two pints. Second (pressure) dressing didn't really get that soaked, but first one was dripping.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.