Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111963 - 11/08/07 05:12 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: raydarkhorse]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Yep, I know it's a personal decision, but it sounds like you are fighting a losing battle if you can't even rally Police support.

Get out, take the loss, consider moving to another area entirely and getting a different job. You never know, the job might pay better, the costs of living be lower, and safety monumentally higher if you move.

Oh, and you could always band with neighbors and file a class action suit against city hall. It sounds like their decisions have not only put you in jeapardy, but have also lowered your home value. I'm not one for lawsuits, but if enough folks ban together and you get outlying neighborhoods who are next on the hitlist to join in and get local media coverage, things might change. If you remove the government assistance and welfare programs, it's amazing how quickly bad elements can dry up and move on to their next free meal ticket.

#111965 - 11/08/07 05:17 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
You're screwed. My advice is to start looking for work in a location you can tolerate immediately, no job is worth risking the safety of your family like that. I've had to pack up and start over before too. It sucks, but it is better than the alternative, which is to be standing over a gravesite one day.

Never count on equity in a home, unless you are in the real estate business.

You'd better hurry up and prioritize what is important to you and then take some action. If you can't sell the house, well, there are always alternatives I won't elaborate on here. The imporant thing is do whatever you gotta do to get your family in a safe environment and keep them there. It ain't easy, but what one man can do, another can do.

Your only other choice is to turn your wife and kid(s) into killers so they can defend themselves when you are away. At least that's what I did.

#111989 - 11/08/07 07:42 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: benjammin]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
You may not need a downpayment. If you're aggressive about looking, you may (and should) be able to find a property where the owner will finance.

You may also be able to find a property where the owner will allow you to rent until you've gathered a downpayment and can go to a lender for the balance.

I say this from experience - a longer drive to work is much easier when you know the homestead is safe and secure. Plus, there's no guarantee that you'll always have that job. I finally learned to put my family's welfare at the very top of the list - job convenience has dropped down almost to the bottom!

#111994 - 11/08/07 07:55 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Farmer]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Benjammin's right. The only direction your situation is going is to worse.

I don't know what you do, but can't you do it somewhere else? Jobs aren't secure these days. Someone at the top makes a bad decision, and you're gone. Then what? No job and a house you can't sell.

Find a hungry realtor, not one of the big fat chains that don't care if they sell your place or not.

But mostly, balance your family against your current position: Would you be willing to give your house up free and clear to bring your wife or child back to life?

I'm very low on the financial food chain, so I can understand your feelings. But stress kills. Heavy guilt does, too.

I hope you can figure a way out of your situation. It won't be any better in five years.

Sue

#112011 - 11/08/07 10:16 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Hey, Eugene… I’d like to reiterate something I posted in an earlier thread about bugging out.

There is a huge difference between bugging out and running away. Bugging out is a temporary, planned retreat from a bad situation. Running away is a knee-jerk reaction that has no planning or preparation behind it.

As long as you have a well-laid plan and the supplies to cover the logistics of a temporary bug-out situation, bugging out is fine. In fact, in a situation such as yours, it is probably even recommended. No one expects you to go running off to permanently “live off the land” because it is practically impossible to plan and prepare to do so.

#112013 - 11/08/07 10:27 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: CANOEDOGS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...in England,Churchill made plans to pervent mass exodus in
that country in case the Germans invaded..."

That would have been easy...burn the boats. Oh wait, there were not enough boats to handle a mass exodus from England...

Sounds like an interesting read anyway, I will look for it, thanks...

#112018 - 11/08/07 11:03 PM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: JCWohlschlag]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i sense your feeling of hopelessness. however, you do have many options to choose from.

i heard once that when one door closes - another opens. right now you get to choose what the next part of your life will be like. a great opportunity. for you and the family.

stay and fight? for what? the hood will get better? for whom? you describe it like it's circling the drain now. let it. move on.

housing options:

why do people swarm wal mart or costco? one reason - price. everything sells. at the right price.

ever seen a pink car on the road? somebody bought it, didn't they? i wouldn't. they did.

and sure, real estate prices are down in many areas. that's great! people forget that when they sell low - they'll be able to buy low! ask your real estate agent how much you need to lower the price to sell it tomorrow. if that's a figure you can live with - drop your price and sell it! move on. in two years you'll be patting yourself on the back telling yourself how smart you were to take the bull by the tail and face the situation. you'll be glad you did!

new housing: if you are a veteran there are gov't housing loans only for vets. here in ca we even have our own veteran's housing loans. maybe your state does too. low interest rates and low cost to get in. there are restrictions as to max loan amounts - but most areas, no problem.

the feds also offer FHA guaranteed loans. most realtors or money lenders can help you with that. low down payment. low interest rates. these were designed specifically for people to buy the american dream.

or as mentioned previously, maybe the seller of the home you buy would be willing "to carry the paper" - become the bank - for you. that's a win - win for both of you.

- you said you don't like the length of the drive to work. here in california it's not unusual for people to drive an hour to an hour and a half each way to work. that's the tradeoff - less expensive housing / better living environment vs. daily commute. i don't and wouldn't, but can / will you?

can you find work elsewhere - different part of the country - less expensive - than where you are? people have crossed continents and oceans to live in a better place. are you willing to do that? how bad is it for you?

i do feel for you. but i'd be looking for the next place to be.

i'm sure you've made many great decisions in your life. time is now to make another one and move on!

good luck and keep us posted.

bsmith

#112025 - 11/09/07 03:19 AM Re: BUGGING OUT??READ THIS FIRST-- [Re: Eugene]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
"If there is a doubt, there is no doubt." When the little voice says it is time to boogie, the only reason why it shouldn't be talking to itself is becuase it is in your head.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 476 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.