Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111408 - 11/05/07 12:19 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: big_al]
sodak Offline
Addict

I am always amused when "old timers" on any forum consider a "newbie" a rookie or greenhorn. This is a general comment on all forums, although it applies to this forum as well.

That rookie you're talking to is only a rookie because he or she hasn't spent as much time at the keyboard as you. He or she could very well be someone with more experience then most of the rest of us put together, you just don't know.

#111416 - 11/05/07 12:53 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: Andy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: Andy
Those who think they'll make do by hunkering down and protecting their turf, in my opinion (and I respect that each person has a right to live in the manner they choose) is shortsighted and selfish. Pooling resources, skills, tools, supplies and extolling the values of community, rule of law and fairplay would provide the best chance for the us and the nation to renew and rebuild.

I suspect most who envision "hunkering down and protecting their turf" have exactly the pooling resources [with like-minded neighbors] plan you mention in mind. Give them credit for not being short-sighted or selfish. Even those that might think they can or would survive "all alone", would most likely end up doing just as you suggest as being the optimum plan for survival.

Edited by Stretch (11/05/07 12:54 AM)

#111419 - 11/05/07 01:14 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am no fan of bugging out. I have nothing whatsoever against Newguys (heck, I was one once). I was just a little confused by the prose of the post. Nothing against DOGSOFWAR personally...

#111420 - 11/05/07 01:21 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Susan,

Quote:
Excuse me? You didn't get his point? Why on earth NOT??? Was it because it didn't fit in with your little fantasies?

Why on earth NOT??

Well simply because DOGSOFWAR's initial post under Ramboism had quite a bit of clever reverse physcology straight off, from the begining, accusing others of being stuck in a Ramboism mentalility, while DOGSOFWAR himself was heavily hinting that he himself was no heroic figure, no John Rambo. But read between the lines and you could well be hearing the fictional disillusioned John Rambo in his retirement home with his feet up in front of the fire.

The post had some unusual remarks,

Quote:
My point here is;if you want to join the military and play soldier, then by all means do so in the branch of your choice.

Quote:
You will however, never be a Rambo or Cammando super stud.

Is that Cammando (wearing clothes but lacking underwear...) or Commando

Quote:
I played in the woods along a river
as a kid, making camps, hiking , hunting small game, fishing, canoeing, swiming, snorkeling, diving for small things of interest. That was play.

Quote:
I guess I'd rather be killed defending my home and property, rather than be taken out in a woods somewhere by a long distance snipers shot. I would rather die in my home, rather than be attacked by a grizzly bear while sleeping.

Sorry, but Snipers in the woods and grizzly bear attacks in the night aren't really at the top of the concerning issues about surviving in the wilderness.

I'm afraid I just don't really buy it.

Quote:
Whatever possessed God in heaven to make a man like Rambo?
Trautman: God didn't make Rambo, I made him!

laugh laugh Best bit of the movie.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/05/07 01:40 AM)

#111456 - 11/05/07 09:05 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: Susan]
simplesimon Offline

Re-reading this again I think we've all been on the wrong track. He never even mentions living off the land. He thinks opting to head out of town is macho ramboism and necessarily entails endless suffering.
Anyone who's ever camped knows this is not true. Chosing to stay on your rooftop in New Orleans, or Tabasco, or in the path of a California forest fire, won't mean you'll be comfortably sipping wine by your fire, And leaving, then camping out if you can't find accomodation, doesn't mean you'll be shot by a sniper (huh? why would a sniper be after you?) or lugging gallons of petrol for fires (he thinks there is no wood in the forests).
To accuse anyone who points out he's talking nonsense of introducing aggression, is to ignore the whole spirit of his mail, it's a bitter hate-filled diatribe against people who's views he's invented.
His whole mail makes no sense. What was all that about endless courses? or cleaning a rifle for no reason? What does that have to do with being ready to leave and not have to rely on the kindness of strangers.
As has been pointed out it's all projection of his own mind onto others. "I'm no rambo but call myself 'Dogs of Wars...'.
simon

#111462 - 11/05/07 12:29 PM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: simplesimon]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I don't think I said anything wrong, but if I did I'm sorry. Like a few of the posts already point out, the post he made had nothing to do with anything. If it did don't you think it would have went in the right direction instead of south? Just my take on it.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#111615 - 11/06/07 03:24 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: simplesimon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That was my reaction as well, and the reason why I asked him to try to clarify what he was trying to say. There was a signal in there, but it was getting lost in the noise.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111626 - 11/06/07 05:36 AM Re: I was kind of surprised.... [Re: simplesimon]
simplesimon Offline

Yeah he's trying to pin his grudge against the military on us.
simon

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.