Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111327 - 11/03/07 09:32 PM knifetests
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I got this link from SYKW and here's a guy who destructive tests many type knives ONTARIO RTAK II,FALLKNIVEN A1 and many more including one of my favorites the Scrap Yard Scrapper 6. Anyhow, I know it's not what you would normally do with a knife but it does give you an idea of performance.

http://www.knifetests.com

#111336 - 11/04/07 01:10 AM Re: knifetests [Re: falcon5000]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only 'performance' here is the buffoonery of the testers.Anything can be stressed beyond tensile integrity by fools who don't even practise common safety, have been banned from both major websites devoted to cutlery and are rightly shunned by the manufacturers.

#111347 - 11/04/07 03:08 AM Re: knifetests [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have to admit that it was half interesting to see just what it would take to break my Gerber LMF II. If I ever need to drive it point first into a concrete block, I can now do so with confidence...I guess.

#111349 - 11/04/07 03:40 AM Re: knifetests [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
The only 'performance' here is the buffoonery of the testers.Anything can be stressed beyond tensile integrity by fools who don't even practise common safety, have been banned from both major websites devoted to cutlery and are rightly shunned by the manufacturers.

I was about to enter the website out of curiosity but you just said it all - so now I'm staying away from there. I always disliked the mall ninjas that would trash a knife on purpose and then say, "this knife is a piece of junk!" anyway.

#111375 - 11/04/07 05:25 PM Re: knifetests [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you wanna cut rock with steel, buy a chisel.

#111377 - 11/04/07 06:03 PM Re: knifetests [Re: benjammin]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
A good independent reviewer is Cliff Stamp: http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/reviews.html

He does often test knives to destruction but makes this clear when so (it may not be recommended practice, but it's nice to know that in an emergency a Spyderco Salt serrated folder using H-1 steel can cut up a steel-belted radial tire to use in a fire).

#111402 - 11/04/07 11:53 PM Re: knifetests [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

True, he has been banned from BF and other sites and the manufactures. If he wants to waste his money buying knives just to destroy them then more power to him. Especially if he is going to destroy a FBM which is a big chuck of change. Do I condole what he does, not really but failure analysis has been one of many parts of the job that I do and I always like to see what a product will perform under different scenarios. Is it performance testing, I would differ and say it is. He is testing edge retention, hardness, fatigue life, etc.. Is it a professional testing, not in the least. But if he's stupid enough to take it to the extremes then so be it. That's why we are in a free country.

To say we would never chisel or chop concrete is to say you will never be in California and get trapped under a fallen bridge of concrete or in Kansas when a tornado bury's you alive. If I'm in a aircraft or helicopter and it crashes, I'll be the first one to use my knife to cut through metal, concrete or what have you. Will it work, no one knows but I would like to have a all around tool to have that capability. All a knife is, is a tool and should be respected as such. I only carry knives that I would trust to perform it's job when needed and his video, though very crude, gives me an idea of the metrology and heat treatment of the various manufactures. Anyway this is my 2 cents and no disrespect meant. I see your point, but his videos are entertaining sometimes.

#111403 - 11/04/07 11:55 PM Re: knifetests [Re: benjammin]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

In a since the steel SYKW is from a concrete chisel blade. But I agree to use the right tool for the right job.

#111455 - 11/05/07 05:01 AM Re: knifetests [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They are like "jackass" with knives. Using them to gauge performance is akin to entering a car into a demolition derby to see how well it handles.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111464 - 11/05/07 12:40 PM Re: knifetests [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I agree.

There's a big difference between being destructive and being able to qualitatively test the performance characteristics of a mechanism. Cliff's tests are bona fide because he understands the material and can relate metallurgical and physical properties to performance expectations. The boneheads offer nothing but anecdotal evidence that anyone can break something if they try hard enough.

This is not to say I agree completely with all that Cliff expounds, as some of his conclusions are subjective even still. However, his tests allow others to evaluate performance criteria objectively and reach their own conclusions, which is quite lacking in the boneheads' methods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 526 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.