Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111309 - 11/03/07 06:24 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: Russ]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
Point being, camouflage is trying to blend in with your environment so in a herd of fashionable wannabe athletes here in SoCal, a lumbar pack with nalgene blends in. As would a spongebob backpack in a primary school. smile

#111326 - 11/03/07 09:21 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: aardvark]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree -- the idea is to blend with whatever environment. My EDC backpack is a generic REI brand in forest green, no one looks at it twice. It carries daily use items, essentials and a lot of extra room for whatever else needs to be carried. A gray man dresses to be not noticed. That's a hard concept for some folks.

#111619 - 11/06/07 03:51 AM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: Russ]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri

In response to:

"So, have any of you absently put together a purchase and later realized later that your various items, when put together, could easily give standers-by the wrong idea?"

I am parked downtown in a highly visible busy area.I'm just chilling out listening to the radio. I had taken a long walk earlier in the morning. Backpack is in the back seat.

Part of my pack gear is a good pair of Nikon binoculars. Since I have a backpack in my car and binoculars laying in plain sight
on my dashboard, I must be casing the stores, so the police asked me after someone called them to report me. Asked, "What's in the bag ?"

"My cooking stuff". While his partner covered the other side of my car, I opened my bag. "It's Snow Peak titanium".

"Hey that's pretty cool"
The police did their job...took my ID....ran a check. I have zero record.

I have lived here since 1980 and now I don't want to park there with binoculars visible ever again. Keep the backpack in the trunk. I've been profiled.

#111621 - 11/06/07 04:08 AM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: frenchy]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: frenchy
Buying several boxes of condom... blush... before a photographic safari in Kenya.... laugh
Unlubricated, they were the best way to protect my different lenses from that african red dust, that goes inside every piece of gear, enters any case ...

Many many years ago, for my hospital job, I was sent to an adult store to buy twelve 6" vibrators.

They were used on the backs of premature infants to help stimulate their breathing and help wean them off respirators. (For some reason the stock kept dissapearing and I was sent back again ....and again... blush

Edited by hiker1 (11/06/07 04:50 AM)

#111699 - 11/06/07 06:30 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: Erik_B]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Erik_B

So, have any of you absently put together a purchase and later realized later that your various items, when put together, could easily give standers-by the wrong idea?

It's funny, but so true! I was at the hardware store when I realized that my list of seeming random items (rolls of duct tape, rope, crowbar, maglite, maglite upgrade kit, screwdriver set, etc.) must have looked like the "Deluxe Home Invasion Kit". My wife even freaked out when she saw the receipt. shocked

I spend a little more time preparing lists to make certain that combinations of goods don't appear to be "creepy".

#111714 - 11/06/07 07:33 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: BrianTexas]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

I was in charge of getting supplies for a church picnic and had planned on trying out my new deep frier with a couple nice turkeys we had thawed out. My wife stayed home making a dozen and a half fresh strawberry pies. So I went out to the store to get some peanut oil and a dozen cans of whipping cream. They were having a sale on tarps so I tossed a couple in the cart along with two huge jugs of peanut oil and whipping cream. On the way to the front I passed by the clearance table and picked up an outdoor twister game for the kids... The cashier nearly lost it when I mentioned it was for the church get together.

#112507 - 11/14/07 05:49 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: OutdoorDad]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I laughed out loud at this one. The two jugs of peanut oil and the twister game would be enough to set me giggling.

#112508 - 11/14/07 05:55 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: hiker1]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: hiker1
Many many years ago, for my hospital job, I was sent to an adult store to buy twelve 6" vibrators.

They were used on the backs of premature infants to help stimulate their breathing and help wean them off respirators. (For some reason the stock kept dissapearing and I was sent back again ....and again... blush

Wow, that is hilarious! I was a premature infant myself (born 3 months early at 1 pound, 6 oz.) but whether that type of back therapy was used on me, my folks have never mentioned it! grin

See, I learn something new every time I come here.

#112533 - 11/14/07 09:51 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My DD1 was also 3 months early, 1 lb 6 oz, and 12 inches long,,,I don't remember Steely Dan being around either!

#112625 - 11/15/07 06:06 PM Re: Giving the wrong impression. [Re: Erik_B]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Not the wrong idea...quite the right idea as a matter of fact...but I got a similar look to the one you were describing...

With girlfriend at my side, I was purchasing Cool Whip, rope and condoms.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.