Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110892 - 10/31/07 08:30 PM Had a rude awakening this week:
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
http://live.psu.edu/pstory/26939

Yea, so the nuclear reactor on my campus is leaking. It's been fine for 50 years, yet the year I start coming here it leaks.....it's like danger follows me. And people wonder why I try to be prepared for the worst. crazy

#110898 - 10/31/07 09:26 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Paul810]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I feel your pain I was on Treasure Island in San Francisco for the 89 quake. In the Philippines when Mt Pinatubo blew it’s top. I was in Desert Storm and saw all the evacuees running from the oil well fires. I was in southern California the last time it was on fire also I was in New Orleans for Katrina and Rita. As long as this list is it is an incomplete list I have been in so many different natural and man-made events I quit keeping track. Now every one knows why I keep a well-stocked BOB and am obsessed with bugging out. Damn looking back now I'm really getting paranoid, do you think some ones trying to tell me somthing?

#110929 - 11/01/07 01:32 AM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: raydarkhorse]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Damn looking back now I'm really getting paranoid, do you think some ones trying to tell me somthing?

Um, maybe "Don't go to Houston!"?

Just kidding! grin grin grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#110953 - 11/01/07 02:37 AM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Paul810]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have the same problem with an additional slant,,,,,ANYTHING that is weird, strange, or unusual WILL happen on my watch. I am the focus of an investigation now for a hole being in a barge and neither the Capt or myself have a clue of the who, what, when, or where that this occurred.

I don't want to even get near the subject of seeing strange things in my days or nights.

#110981 - 11/01/07 10:49 AM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
comon now it dosen't happen every day but it does seem to kinda regular.

#111000 - 11/01/07 01:10 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Paul810]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Paul810

Yea, so the nuclear reactor on my campus is leaking. It's been fine for 50 years, yet the year I start coming here it leaks.....it's like danger follows me. And people wonder why I try to be prepared for the worst. crazy

This is nowhere near "the worst." Dangers of nuclear reactors are deliberately exaggerated by those with an agenda in order to ensure the public reacts in fright to the word "nuclear." Medical MRI machines were initially called Nuclear Magnetic Resonance scanners (NMR). They had to change the name to get people to accept them.

This reactor isn't much danger even if all the water leaks away. It's not a POWER reactor producting large quantities of fission products.

Unimogbert
(former Navy nuke operator)

#111040 - 11/01/07 05:39 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: unimogbert]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I agree with unimogbert. It's a nonhazard and you have nothing to worry about. I have toured PSUs reactor and it is a standard TRIGA research reactor, much like the one at Texas A&M and other universities. The water has such low levels of activation products that you could probably drink it without much of a dose consequence.

My advice is to use this as an excuse to drink more beer to flush your system of potential "contaminants". I recommend Otto's brewery as a good place to start.

Greg
(radiation physicist)

#111041 - 11/01/07 05:48 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Good advice Greg. I like your thinking.

#111063 - 11/01/07 07:08 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: raydarkhorse]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
Damn looking back now I'm really getting paranoid, do you think some ones trying to tell me somthing?

Perhaps there is a bright side. God believes that you can keep your head on your shoulders and your stuff together so that you can help others less fortunate. Small consolation when TSHTF, but it is a purpose for living.

Wishing you better luck in the future!

#111100 - 11/01/07 11:36 PM Re: Had a rude awakening this week: [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: Paul810

This is nowhere near "the worst." Dangers of nuclear reactors are deliberately exaggerated by those with an agenda in order to ensure the public reacts in fright to the word "nuclear." Medical MRI machines were initially called Nuclear Magnetic Resonance scanners (NMR). They had to change the name to get people to accept them.

This reactor isn't much danger even if all the water leaks away. It's not a POWER reactor producting large quantities of fission products.

Unimogbert
(former Navy nuke operator)

Originally Posted By: Greg_Sackett
I agree with unimogbert. It's a nonhazard and you have nothing to worry about. I have toured PSUs reactor and it is a standard TRIGA research reactor, much like the one at Texas A&M and other universities. The water has such low levels of activation products that you could probably drink it without much of a dose consequence.

My advice is to use this as an excuse to drink more beer to flush your system of potential "contaminants". I recommend Otto's brewery as a good place to start.

Greg
(radiation physicist)

That's what I figured, but it's just funny how the thing is fine for years until I get here. Never a dull moment in my life. tired

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Today at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.