Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#111030 - 11/01/07 04:33 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: Shadow_oo00]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
cutting plywood with small slits in them
-Shadow_oo00

Is there a reason besides light that you're cutting slits in the plywood for?

#111034 - 11/01/07 04:50 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: hamilton]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Light would be one reason but the primary one I was thinking about is so that I can see whats coming at me, I only cut them in choice (tactical) locations, not all the windows. Hopefully the only thing they will be used for is light. But again I like to have all the bases covered.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/01/07 04:52 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#111039 - 11/01/07 05:37 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: DOGSOFWAR
I have various surprise defensive weapons no one would think a household would have.

This item immediately raised a red flag to me. If you mean you have the ability to access a medieval crossbow that drops from a hidden compartment in the ceiling when you tug the velvet rope in the corner (yeah, that would be a surprise!), that's one thing, but if you mean "booby traps," then you're setting yourself up for some serious liability. You could lose everything if some burglar is killed or seriously injured by a booby trap when you weren't home.

#111043 - 11/01/07 05:51 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down: Rangefinding [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire newguy.

My suggestion is you look out of each window in your house and see what you can see from them taking note of:
1. Possible cover (ditches, large trees, walls)
2. Possible concelement (shrubs, neighbor's windows, etc...)
3. Possible lines of attack (streets, alleys)

Then fire up Google Earth and use its measuring tool to measure the distance from each of your windows to the spots of interest you noted above. Print out several aerial photos of your house and draw lines between the windows and these spots of interest, and write the distance on the line. That way you know how to adjust your shooting to hit a particular spot. Mount these range maps near the windows and you are ready to go.

Side benefit: they make great conversation starters with your neighbors, babysitters, repairmen, social workers...

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111045 - 11/01/07 05:52 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
You could lose everything if some burglar is killed or seriously injured by a booby trap when you weren't home.

I wondered if anyone has patented an X10 Claymore mine yet !! laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/01/07 05:54 PM)

#111053 - 11/01/07 06:25 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: DOGSOFWAR]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DOGSOFWAR

PS; I really wish I didn't have to worry about this sort of stuff, but, it is clear, we are in for a huge problems one way or the other. Global warming, terrorists, 2012, war,atomic bombs,
earth pole shift and earths roll to a new axis, alien invasion,
the return of Jesus, whatever...

It is time to lock and load and hunker down for the big one!

Thats a lot to prepare for! My humble advice is to try and be a little more specific about what disruptions/events are more likely to happen. I know anything can happen but some events are much more likely than others. Otherwise, you might might run yourself ragged trying to prepare for everything and leave youself with a generalized perparation that doesn't adequately cover your most likely scenarios. Also, I'd say while staying in place and waiting it out is preferrable, there could be any number of situations that might require you to have to bug out (fire, chemical spill, contamination, etc, etc.) If you don't already have one, even a basic evacuation plan is a good way of covering your bases.

#111067 - 11/01/07 07:19 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: LED]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
PS; I really wish I didn't have to worry about this sort of stuff, but, it is clear, we are in for a huge problems one way or the other. Global warming, terrorists, 2012, war,atomic bombs,
earth pole shift and earths roll to a new axis, alien invasion,
the return of Jesus, whatever...

December 21st 2012 is just going to have to be one of those days to spend all day in bed under a nice warm duvet smile

#111074 - 11/01/07 07:39 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down in [Re: Arney]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Arneya
a medieval crossbow that drops from a hidden compartment in the ceiling when you tug the velvet rope in the corner

grin That's contingency 354, for when a solitary vampire has you cornered in the study.

Contingency 355, when it's two vampires, is the second velvet cord.

#111078 - 11/01/07 08:06 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down: Rangefinding [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Blast
Side benefit: they make great conversation starters with your neighbors, babysitters, repairmen, social workers...

Yup, I can picture it now...

Me:
[raking lawn, notices new neighbor Blast walking my way, pulling a super long tape measure]
Hi! Welcome to the neighborhood! Watchya doing there? Gonna put in some new sprinklers?

Blast:
Hi! People call me Blast. Y'know, like "Blast zone." Heh-heh.

Sprinklers? Naw. Just figuring out fields of fire. And I want to make sure all of my long guns are zeroed for the relevant distances from my front windows over there. The ones with the shooting slits, that is, not the ones I have completely sealed up with bricks.

[Then eyes narrow and a smile appears on his face] Say there...I like your rake...

#111082 - 11/01/07 08:53 PM Re: Prepping a house to hunker down: Rangefinding [Re: Arney]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
[Then eyes narrow and a smile appears on his face] Say there...I like your rake...

Suprisingly, my neighbors take some measure of comfort when they see me walking around the neighborhood.

It's when they CAN'T see me that they get nervous...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 505 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.