Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#110915 - 10/31/07 11:31 PM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
This kit would be extremely important if I sink my snowmobile through the ice and only make it to shore with the equipment on me, I have done that before and it was a very cold experience. Lucky both times I was working with a partner and we doubled out on his machine back to the truck.

Wow, I hope you pack a spare change of underwear in your survival kit, because that's the first thing I would need after punching my snowmobile through the ice.

#110917 - 10/31/07 11:42 PM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
The one thing I don't like about the MEC product is the kind of rounded bottom. Sigg makes stainless steel bottles with a bit more of a squared off bottom, Sigg Water Bottle. The one shown in this link is .6L but they make them in .75L and 1L sizes as well. I hadn't seen this one before, but Sigg also makes a stainless steel Canteen with cup. Might be nice to be able to boil a second round of water while you drink soup or hot chocolate from the cup.

Sigg explicitly warns against boiling water in their stainless water bottles, but I'm not sure if this is because the direct heat would damage the finish/graphics on the bottle, or if it would compromise the integrity of the bottle itself. It might be worth experimenting with/clarifying with Sigg before you get out into the woods.

#110918 - 11/01/07 12:09 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: Katie]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Katie,

Originally Posted By: Katie
Wow, I hope you pack a spare change of underwear in your survival kit, because that's the first thing I would need after punching my snowmobile through the ice.

It is very freaky when it happens but both times I got out of the water very quickly. My employer provides mandatory Ice Safety training/equipment; full floater suits and long ice picks really help in getting out of the water.

Another time the rear of the snowmobile and I went through a beaver pond but the front of the machine stayed up on the thin, mushy ice. Every time we tried to pull on the front of the machine our boots would break through so we cut conifer limbs and built a platform around the 1/2 submerged snowmoblie. It was a very light Ski-doo Elan model and my magnesium snowshoes were tied to the rear handgrip. By squatting down at the rear of the hole and sticking my arms into the water up to my shoulders I was able to get a hold of my snowshoes and lift the rear up to the point where my partner at the front and I could roll the snowmobile sideways to shore. We broke the windshield and cracked the cowling but the snowmobile still ran and I drove it out to the truck. I was almost completely wet and my partner was wet to the waist so we called it a day and headed to town.

This was long before the days of being prepared, I now keep a full change of clothes (including underwear) in the work truck or my personal outdoor vehicle. Usually they end up being used for an unplanned stay at a motel in another town, but I and others have used them after a soaking in the bush.

Later,

Mike

#110923 - 11/01/07 01:07 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
SwampDonkey, the more I hear of your hands-on exploits, the more I think you should be instructing US -- instead of us pretending to advise you. :-)

#110932 - 11/01/07 01:48 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the vote of confidence dougwalkabout.

The reality is that I am just a lucky klutz that has had the opportunity to work in the bush for 25 years without injuring myself to badly.

What I used to learn by trial and error (the slow, expensive way) I now often learn from ETS and the members on this forum. I am much more prepared and aware now than I was just 3 years ago before I had a home computer and access to this wealth of information/expertise. For example, just today I ordered a Leatherman TTI, Heetsheet Bivvy, and RescueMe window punch/seatbelt cutter all based on recent recommendations from ETS and members of this forum.

I have a lot of wilderness experiences but have had very little exposure to the kind of events that most members on this site prepare for like; hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornados and civil unrest. The worst I can see happening in my area would be a limited chemical spill on the highway/railway, a long term power outage or a big winter storm.

While I research and tinker refining my wilderness kits, my stay-home kit and BOB are very lacking and I need to spend time and resources improving them. I have had a difficult time convincing the rest of my family of 5 that emergency preparedness is important.

I really appreciate this forum and learn from you folks daily; because everyones perspective and scope of knowledge is different we all benefit from this information resource.

Nice talking with you,

Mike

#110964 - 11/01/07 03:10 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: SwampDonkey]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
During "Hell Week" a SEAL instructor stood on a berm and looked out toward the sea....What am I looking for? he asked the students. When no one answered he replied....I'm looking for a war.

It is what they train for.......while no one (including them) LIKES war....like them.....we all want to have ourselves put to the test and come out victorious. (And wiser).....Sounds as if you got both....nice work. Like the 'seasoned' instructors at BUDS...you too have carried on the tradition....now you have helped to teach others what you learned.....thank you.

#110967 - 11/01/07 04:35 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: CJK]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Good story, Mike!
I'm wondering what kind of GPS unit you're using? I had a lot of the "got off the trail" situations in my limited hiking experience, but even my simplistic yellow Garmin eTrex had the "track back" feature, which usually allows to resolve such a problem in no time (just half a dozen clicks of buttons). You're right, it doesn't matter how user-friendly (or fool proof) a modern mapping GPS features are, but the RTFM ("read that freaking manual" smile ) rule must be obeyed. Know your hardware!

#110971 - 11/01/07 05:25 AM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: Katie]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Katie
Sigg explicitly warns against boiling water in their stainless water bottles, but I'm not sure if this is because the direct heat would damage the finish/graphics on the bottle, or if it would compromise the integrity of the bottle itself. It might be worth experimenting with/clarifying with Sigg before you get out into the woods.

Hmm. It may have to do with the coating they put on the inside of the bottle to prevent leaching. OK, the regular Sigg bottle is out as something to heat in although the .6L flask with steel cup is still an option.

#111009 - 11/01/07 02:56 PM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: dougwalkabout]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
An oversize fanny pack is the way to go. I'm currently testing a big one from MEC (6 litres of storage with external water bottle carriers). ...

If money is not a too big problem, try a KIFARU Marauder (about 40 liters)with a detachable E&E pocket (about 16 liters):
Marauder pack
E&E back pouch

(usual disclaimer : I'm not affiliated with KIFARU and have no economical interest in that company. On the opposite : I'm starting to spend too much money on their products... help !!! grin)

#111051 - 11/01/07 06:11 PM Re: Small Personal Wilderness Survival Situation [Re: frenchy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Frenchy,

The E&E pack is about the size I am thinking of, but proabally a cheaper version than the top-of-the-line Kifaru one.

I saw one while surfing the net that had a single angled shoulder strap and roadhigh on the back (I think it was so it would not interfer the placement of a long-gun butt on the shoulder), unfortunately I did not bookmark the site and cannot find it again!

Thanks,

Mike

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.