Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110164 - 10/26/07 05:11 PM Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I have been doing some research into buying a new Leatherman multitool for work/play and need the forum members help in deciding on a model.

I have carried Leatherman tools daily for about 12 years and I really like them so I know it will be this brand, I have also settled on the full size (but not extra large) models due to size/weight considerations.

The models in the running are the Wave II, AL, ALX and TTI. They can be compared at http://www.leatherman.com/products/tool-comparison/default.asp or in Doug's review on the ETS mainpage.

The TTI is the one I would prefer but I do not know if I can justify the significant 30 to 50% increased cost ($135.00 + shipping/taxes Can) over the other models. The difference is the titanium handles, quality S30V blade steel, cutting hook and best combination of tools for my needs; is the TTI worth the extra cost?

Your input in this decision is appreciated.

Mike

#110167 - 10/26/07 06:22 PM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm a big fan of the second-generation Wave II series. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of these.

I have a couple of Wave IIs and also a Ti (the original titanium handle; same tool set as the new AL).

I find the titanium slabs give a superior grip, but they also make the tool thicker. Mostly I end up carrying a Wave II and using it hard, since I can afford to replace it.

But: I usually carry a high-quality folder as well, so I only use the Wave blades occasionally. If I was only carrying a Wave, I'd go for the better steel.

Personally, I don't like the pliers on the TTi. The crimper takes away too much gripping surface, if you ask me.

Note that with the AL version, you get the better blade, some extra bits, and the excellent pocket clip. So it's acually not a bad deal in comparison. I use the pocket clip a lot when I'm going to meetings etc. and don't want a sheath on my belt.

AFAIK, the best deal on these in Canada is from MEC. Their Wave II is $77 and includes a bonus Robertson (square drive) bit. If you spend $150 (not hard to do) shipping is free.

If you travel to the U.S., you can get the Wave II for $60 from Home Depot. (No Robertson bit, though.)

That's my two-cents worth. Have fun making your selection!

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/26/07 07:10 PM)

#110197 - 10/26/07 10:05 PM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: dougwalkabout]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup, New model Wave...

#110199 - 10/26/07 10:15 PM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Goodevening dougwalkabout,

Thanks for the input on my Leatherman tool selection.

I have an original Wave but it does not have the option of interchangeable bits therefore no Robertson screwdriver. Robertson screws are very popular in Canada (with good reason) and it would be terrific to have that driver on my EDC multitool. My straight edged Wave blade has always seemed a little loose/flexible to me but I think it was beefed-up in the Wave II.

All of the Leatherman tools I have now are basic stainless steel blades (420 I think), they are not the best to sharpen and dull quickly, so I tend to be a little rough on them. I also carry a folder or 2 for detailed cutting tasks on the job, but when not at work I often just carry an original Leatherman PST, it is light/handy but I miss the functions of a larger tool.

MEC is a good outdoor equipment supplier and I shop there often, but today I found the TTI online at Deakin Equipment for $129.00 plus you get a $15.00 rebate with your first online order.

I doubt I would use the pocket clip much as I always wear a belt and therefore will use the cordura pouch. Often when I clip a folder to my pants pocket I forget to remove it and it goes through the wash. One day I had forgot to remove my Kershaw Leek folder (with SpeedSafe opening), it opened in the dryer and poked holes through a load of clothes, DW was very not impressed!

I appreciate your help.

Mike

#110205 - 10/26/07 10:49 PM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: SwampDonkey]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I've carried both the New Wave and the new TTi Charge at least a year (each). The price is pretty much double for the titanium. I find the Charge to be just as heavy despite use of titanium in the handle. The cost buys you the hook, the better steel in the knife, and not a lot else, although the special tin I got it in had a clip, a lanyard eye (though a bit sharp for direct-tie - use a keychain) and one plastic magazine full of the most common driver bits.

So, if you don't plan on using the clip, that's really a wash for value. You can probably pick up the Wave for $65 if you look around and the TTi for double that. So you get half of the $15 set of bits included in that price.

I've EDC's both. I've switched to the TTI, but to be honest, it now seems like a bit of a waste. The knife on the New Wave is really quite nice considering. Unless you hunt or have some special need, the gut hook is maybe only useful for cordage now and then.

If you aren't a hard-core knife enthusiast/user, stick with the New Wave and get the set of bits if you need them. Spend the extra cash on Doug's Photon or save it toward one of his knives. smile But either way you go, both are rock solid performers. I'd take either one.

EDIT: Okay, the TTi hasn't been with me quite a year yet, but I've had it since the first came out.

Edited by massacre (10/26/07 10:50 PM)

#110206 - 10/26/07 10:59 PM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I had an original Wave as well. Good concept, but not robust enough for the real world. Gave it to a friend who's getting into this crazy/addictive/strangely sensible culture. No sense having it gather dust in a drawer; tools are meant to be used.

(Aside: one of the flat screwdrivers from the original Wave will fit a #2 Robertson perfectly, inserted crosswise. Go figure.)

The Wave II / ChargeXX is a huge improvement in design, effectiveness, and strength. It's twice the tool all around, with effective scissors to boot (first aid!). My only caveat is that I miss the long-nose Phillips screwdriver for electronics, which have deeply recessed screws.

You're right, the 420 stainless blades are adequate, but nothing special. If you can afford it, an upgrade is worthwhile.

None of my business, but FWIW, the retailer you name seems to be charging more than others. Then again, if you can catch a break on your favourite item, who cares?

Since you carry the titanium-handled items in a sheath, the size difference is irrelevant. It really does provide a positive grip in all conditions.

If you go for the TTI, be sure to post a review.

(I'm holding out for a Skeletool. Don't tell DW!)

#110213 - 10/27/07 12:00 AM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: dougwalkabout]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
SwampDonkey,

I know your looking at leathermans, but I was just recently in the market for a multi tool and was going to go the leatherman route. I decided to go for the swisstool spirit 's' (the one with the two blades). I love the thing!!!! I might go back to a leatherman in the future, but for now its the spirit.

Just wanted to put in my two cents...

Kris

#110214 - 10/27/07 12:01 AM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

OBG,dougwalkabout and massacre,

Thank you for the detailed replies concerning Leatherman tool selection.

I am leaning toward ordering the Charge TTI as I figure that since I often only carry this one tool on my days off, it would be nice to have the quality S30V knife blades instead of 420 steel.

I have to give credit to this forum for being an excellent place to get first-hand information from other outdoor enthusiasts prior to making a purchase; I appreciate it.

Mike

#110215 - 10/27/07 12:04 AM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: Kris]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Kris,

I have never handled a SwissTool so I cannot compare them to a Leatherman. If I can find one I will surely check them out (they do get great reviews on the SOSAK site).

Thanks,

Mike

#110216 - 10/27/07 12:30 AM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: SwampDonkey]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
The spirit 's' model just recently came out (the other spirit models didn't have the SAK knife blade just a combi-edge blade - but to get that blade, they took the sissors out).

I would recommend one, just which it was a bit lighter for pocket carry. That's my only complaint so far.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisstool&product=53809&http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=swisstool&product=53809&

#110240 - 10/27/07 07:06 AM Re: Advice on Leatherman Multitool Purchase [Re: SwampDonkey]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I have the leather man TTi tool. It has been very useful for me at work. I work in IT field which require me to use the screw driver heads in the tool. I used the leather man to unscrew laptops, PC etc..

The needle nose plyer is especially useful in bending delicate metal pieces. It is worth every penny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet), 290 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.