Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#108800 - 10/16/07 02:35 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX

Edited by Blast (10/16/07 02:36 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed link
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#108868 - 10/17/07 12:02 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the link, the article has got me intrigued about a certain local historical conundrum.

From Wikipedia

Quote:
In 1835 James Bowman Lindsay demonstrated a constant electric light at a public meeting in Dundee, Scotland. He stated that he could "read a book at a distance of one and a half feet". However, having perfected the device to his own satisfaction, he turned to the problem of wireless telegraphy and did not develop the electric light any further. His claims are not well documented.

Dundee was a major whaling centre during the 19th Century producing whaling ships for the industry. Famously these ships were used in the Antarctic expeditions of Shackleton and Scott such as RSS Discovery and Terra Nova.

I’m beginning to suspect Mr Linday may have had a visit from certain representatives of those in the Whale Oil industry to enquire about the silliness of this new form of electric light as there were plenty more whales in the ocean in 1835 still to pursue. Perhaps he was convinced to move on to more personal profitable inventions. smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_whaling

The discovery of petroluem oil production didn't stop whaling. It just became uneconomic to pursue whales in dead fisheries.

#109382 - 10/21/07 02:12 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
A related question is to try to put an upper bound on the technology the dinosaurs had. That was about 60 million years ago, which is long enough for most of the evidence to disappear.

(Incidentally, they went extinct without human help. Extinction events can be natural.)

#109456 - 10/22/07 10:47 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Brangdon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I dunno, maybe I ought to blame the zombie pirates for the declining whale population after the "no whale hunting" treaty was enacted. Aren't Norwegian pirates called Vikings, or was that Pittsburgh? I get confused on those team names sometimes.

As I ponder what the ecological burden might be should a preponderance of behemoths deplete the oceans' biological resources, I am wondering what is it exactly that the big behemoths contribute so urgently to our ecological structure that eliminating the bigger species should be of such grave concern. Then again, these are semi-sentient creatures, and who knows, maybe someday some big concrete cylinder will come hurling through space casting it's interrogative melody toward our globe, wreaking havoc with our weather system, and throwing us back to the stone age, all because there was no one here to answer it's mournful tune??? Naw, that could only happen in the movies...Dammit Jim, where's that pointy eared demon when you need him?

#109489 - 10/22/07 02:30 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Brangdon]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
A related question is to try to put an upper bound on the technology the dinosaurs had...

Like that TV show "Dinosaurs" from a while back?

#109494 - 10/22/07 02:54 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
And don't forget what Star Trek has taught us about Saurian culture, including the Brandy that they are sooooooo famous for!

#109758 - 10/24/07 12:39 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: wildman800]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics

Now Now, so much anthropocentric egotism.

"Save the Planet"? That simply means save humanity from its own folly, the planet will carry on

Apart from a few species dependant on humans - lapdogs or parasites (is there a difference?)- most creatures would be better off without us.

It is human conceit that we and our atifacts are worth preserving.

I am waiting for the leaning tower of Pisa to fall and for Venice to sink (it would make a great dive site)

#110056 - 10/25/07 09:42 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: BOD]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
BOD.... You sir, are a moron...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.