The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109604 - 10/23/07 02:54 AM Survived a car crash
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Got rear ended while parked on a quiet residential street today. I pulled over and parked to make a phone call. The safe thing to do, right? Well who would have thunk it? While in mid-conversation, a guy in a truck who wasn't paying attention because he was looking for a particular street or some such, veered of the main part of the road and into my car at full speed.

What a surprise for both of us! His car went from whatever speed he was going to a dead stop and mine went from a dead stop with parking brakes engaged to whatever speed before it came to a stop about 10 feet from where I started. It hit hard enough to even take the hat off my head.

I must say though, that the Infiniti G35 coupe is built to protect the passengers. The bumper smashed and the truck hit hard enough to go into the frame. I can see the crumple lines going up to the door. That took up a lot of the force, I think. And I am really happy that there was nothing in front of me, because if there was, I probably would have been hurt. And I am especially thankful that neither of my kids were in the car. As it was, it was a stunner. Although now, as the adrenaline has worn off, I feel little aches. And hopefully no whip lash. I didn't hit my head except on the head rest, but I did have a momentary bout of nausea. So my wife insists on taking me to go get checked out tomorrow.

There are several things that I am bummed about...the loss of time and money. The guy didn't have insurance. And I am even sorry he had to go to jail. He seemed nice enough, but not only did was he driving without a license, but he had four (I think) warrants out for his arrest. After he hit me, I saw him try to back up and I think drive off. He thought there was no one in the car. But when I got out of the car, he stepped out to face the music. I give him credit for that, because he kept saying he was going to jail today. But I did not wish that on him.

But I am thankful that we both walked away from it.

Anyway, I guess this was kind of a survival story.

#109613 - 10/23/07 03:49 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'll thank God that you're safe and sound!!!

#109615 - 10/23/07 03:51 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

get checked out--whiplash is tricky stuff..
and another--"who would think" kind of story..which is why
we try try to stay prepared..

#109621 - 10/23/07 04:16 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks guys.

Although how do you prepare for something like that besides strengthening your neck and back and core? I am happy that I have been adding yoga and Tai Chi to my exercise routine.

Yeah, the first thing my wife said after she gave me a hug was she was taking me to go get checked out tomorrow. When I told her I would go, she said that she would drive me. I must have looked more shaken than I felt.

But not to worry... I am only shaken, not stirred.

#109623 - 10/23/07 04:41 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
One prepares for these kind of incidents, in part,by living honorably. What goes around, comes around--Karma. You must be living right,,,,or else you would have been IN the car!!!!

Good Luck on your Dr's visit!!!!

#109628 - 10/23/07 04:50 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm glad you're all right. And I do hope you're just shaken and not stirred. It wouldn't hurt to get checked out TONIGHT.

At least you weren't blenderized!

Sue

#109631 - 10/23/07 06:18 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Walk away = good. +1 on the Tai Chi. Great stuff. Glad you're okay.

#109632 - 10/23/07 06:18 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: wildman800]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

HEY!! I WAS in the car. I think if I wasn't in the car, I would be dead. The impact sent the car with parking brakes on, ten feet. Not in the car means I would have gone 50+ feet and be broken instead of the car being broken.

But I get your point though. Thanks for your comments. I AM thankful that we both walked away from it. And especially thankful I had no kids in the car and a pedestrian didn't get hit.

I was just remembering back a couple of days ago when an elderly lady standing next to me at a cross walk just passed out and fell into the street and into traffic. For a split second, I thought it was a staged thing, then I grabbed her and got her back on the sidewalk, got someone to call 911, and fortunately, a police car rolled around the corner. He was near and saw the whole thing and had already called for an ambulance. Poor lady fell right on her face and was bloodied up and spit out a bunch of teeth when she came to. And that was just from a fall from the standing position. It seems to me that when people get hit by cars traveling at speed, they seem to die most of the time. So for what it is worth, I am happy I was inside the car when it happened!

And thanks to you too, Susan. I just spent an hour with my kids getting them ready for bed and other than a few little aches, I feel ok. I think I will keep until the morning. I am not ready to go yet and want to watch my kids grow up and see my grandkids, and travel with my wife as old farts before I will be ready to go. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

#109633 - 10/23/07 06:19 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks LED, I like your math!

#109646 - 10/23/07 09:40 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I think my meaning "not in the car" - folks meant like the time my car got totaled - it was out on the street - I was asleep in my bed in the house. The car was totaled - I didn't get hurt except for $$
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 643 Guests and 148 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.