Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109757 - 10/24/07 12:23 AM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
duckear Offline
Addict

I find some of the assumptions many have made after the original post rather naive.

#109781 - 10/24/07 03:14 AM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: desertsafetyguy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm going to echo the suggestion on talking to Doug and for your FAKs, the folks at AMK, but just to toss the ball around...

You have SAR assets available- Civilian? Military? Contract? Whos? How long will it take for them spool up? Are you over water, or over land only? How long is your typical flight, and are you ever out of communication with the airports?

I would think the first thing is the individual kit, on each person. The PSP or the SOL from AMK or one of the better small kits from BCB (but go through it with a fine tooth comb), a good pocket knife, and water.

For the aircraft, you're big thing will be signals. The sat phone/gps combo, and/or a PLB per aircraft, based on the checkered performance of ELTs that's we've seen recently. Mirrors, whistles, signal panels, strobes to show exactly where you are. Flares, smoke bombs, not so fond of.

Fire extinguisher.

Water. Obviously.

Shelter. I don't know that part of the world, so other than a sun shade, I'm not sure.

A good first aid kit.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109798 - 10/24/07 09:29 AM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
simplesimon Offline

Before any americans start accusing Am_Fear_Liath_Mor of being a gay pimp:

'Fag' is british slang for a cigarette.

#109842 - 10/24/07 04:24 PM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
Leigh,

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Sun compass: Magnetic compasses are unreliable in that area. The SAS etc use a device that allows you to determine direction from the sun. Do a Google search for it.

I was unaware of potential issues with magnetic compasses in the UAE. On two resent trips to Abu Dhabi, I used my compass to align several SatCom antennas and it seamed to perform fine if I was clear of aircraft or structures. What is the source of your information?

I've spent a lot of time exploring the Mojave Desert in my neck of the woods, here in the western US, and the desert in the UAE is barren by comparison.

Wild_Weasel

#109945 - 10/25/07 03:24 AM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would like a data source for the solar compass statement as well. Without support for your statement, I'm tempted to call it a bogus claim.

I know people who've been to most of the Arabian peninsula, including the UAE. They're the kind of people who'd mention things like magnetic oddness to me, they know I'm interested in stuff like that. And a fast google showed nothing relevant except for this thread.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109963 - 10/25/07 10:54 AM Re: Survival Kit Design for Flight Training in UAE [Re: ironraven]
desertsafetyguy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
First off, allow me to thank all of you for your responses. Already the responses have stimulated me to think carefully about this initiative and I vlaue greatly the comments, which I'll address:

Blast-suggest you look at this link for geography of UAE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_the_United_Arab_Emirates
As for the inhabitation, mostly very rural (sparse) villages/towns, with a few large cities (Dubai, Sharjah), many people living way out in the boonies that do farming/raise goats, sheep, etc., yes, very safe to approach the locals, they always seem to be interested in anything new (in spite of the language barrier), Arabian customs/law REQUIRE them to assist lost/stranded/distressed personnel

Ironman-As for the SAR assets, the government (both military and civilian) contracts out the SAR mission to an outfit called Falcon Aviation Services : http://www.falconaviation.ae/services.php?mid=35
They are using the B412 and Augusta AW139, equipped w/FLIR, Nightsun, etc. Each helicopter is crewed with at least one paramedic, so med treatment arrives when the helicopter arrives. I just had a chat with these guys today over at the arprt and will soon be delivering two briefings to them (our ops/fleet info and another brief on the Cirrus SR22 ballistic recovery system (BRS)). They are based at three separate locations in the UAE, so I'm figuring that they can get up + running w/:30 after receiving notification from the ATC boys that we've an overdue a/c. Flight ops will be both over land and water, with some of the overwater ops being beyond power-off glide distance for that altitude. JAA/JAR regs require PFDs for all onboard anyway (another on of me projects). Also, mandatory reporting requirements (CAR OPS-1) require that our guys report to ATC every :30.
I'm still staying with my focus on signaling (to include 406 Mhz PLB), shelter, med kit, and food/water. I'm NOT going to equip these guys for an extended desert party, I just don't feel they'll be out there that long.
Please keep the cards + letters coming, I really appreciate all of the input!!

Desertsafetyguy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.