Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#108335 - 10/11/07 11:54 AM Yet another (sigh) school shooting
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Just saw the news this morning. Frustrated "Mentally Troubled" boy with a history of fighting and mental health issues including suicide wounds 4 before taking his own life. Everything about the story sounds lame.

This situation compels me to consider the quote that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. How many times are we going to have to repeat this particular scenario before it sinks in that something must be fixed?

Hint: Gun Control Legislation isn't going to solve the problem.

#108337 - 10/11/07 12:20 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: benjammin]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: benjammin

Hint: Gun Control Legislation isn't going to solve the problem.

If people admit that they will have to admit that the system and we are failing our children. Most people would rather blame something or someone else rather that admit responsibility.

#108340 - 10/11/07 12:54 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: raydarkhorse]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
where was this? i haven't seen it on the news yet. link?

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#108356 - 10/11/07 03:11 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
MSNBC news report
SuccessTech Academy (Bill Gates' Foundation ???) in Cleveland, OH

#108413 - 10/11/07 10:49 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: benjammin]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm so burnt out, sick and tired of this foolishness I can't even think of an intelligent problem solving discussion.

Want to just go build a hut in the woods and be a hermit.

Mind you a hermit with a wife and child, cable tv, internet access, resturants and grocery stores conveniently nearby (but not to close as to drive down the property value of my hut)....

Oh the hell with it!! I'm just going to stay in the suburbs and turn off my tv/radio.

#108423 - 10/12/07 01:37 AM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: samhain]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Don't forget the one in Pennsylvania today that got thwarted:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/11/student.arsenal/index.html

#108428 - 10/12/07 02:56 AM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm going to join you in the refraining. Other than to point out that every time I hear the media call a youth/young adult a "child" I want to reach through my TV/radio and grannyslap the anchor.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108440 - 10/12/07 03:50 AM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: benjammin]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
These events have become all too frequent, and are a sad testimony to the society we live in. IIRC, this is the sixth incident this school year, either happened or thwarted by authorities. I long for the days when school violence consisted of a brief altercation on the playground with fists, NOT GUNS or KNIVES!! Everybody walked away from those, maybe a little scuffed up, but alive.
I have already heard the anti-gun folks talking more gun control. Guns aren't the problem. The people who use guns illegally are the problem. When I was in high school, 35-45% of the male population of the school (1500+ students) had firearms in their vehicles during hunting season and nary a soul was ever shot or even threatened to my knowledge. A much higher percentage carried a knife and yes, you guessed it, no one was ever cut or stabbed. Now we need armed LEO on campus all day, everyday. What the H*** happened? Have we allowed ourselves and our society to stray that far from civility? mad

#108472 - 10/12/07 04:23 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: MDinana]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
While I think its good that this person was stopped, does it seem like the prosecuter is trying to beat the drum a little loud on this case?

He's shown posing with the boy's "huge arsenal of weapons" when the fine print tells that only one of those was a real firearm, the rest were all BB guns that look like real weapons. The print also states that there was no ammunition for the single firearm in the house. And pardon me but since when is a 9mm rifle an assault rifle, isn't a rifle that fires a pistol cartridge typically refered to as a carbine? Finally, grenades are not weapons of mass destruction. Weapons of mass destruction only encompass biological, chemical and radiological weapons.

Again, I think the boy needed to be stopped. His parents were enabling him, not stepping up and acting like parents. He obviously needed some sort of counciling long before this situation reached the point where he was obtaining guns and building grenades. But it sounds an awful lot like a prosecuter setting up to run for office, or some other type of politiking.

#108480 - 10/12/07 05:13 PM Re: Yet another (sigh) school shooting [Re: Russ]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Success Tech Academy is a public school in the Cleveland City School District. It may be (not entirely sure) one of their alternative schools, which are attempts to educate kids who are clearly on the road to dropping out or being suspended. Some of these programs are incredibly successful, some less so.

Ironically, Success Tech had a metal detector screening program a couple of years ago, but it was removed and relocated during a round of budget cuts because of the low incidence of violence at Success Tech.

Incidents of violence and even of murder-suicide among teenagers is nothing new (go back and re-read Romeo and Juliet). What we may be seeing in the current media feeding-frenzy are attempts to make opportunistic use of these tragedies to fuel agendas such as gun control, school choice and the like.

Frank2135, who serves on a board of education, thankfully not in Cleveland

Edited by Frank2135 (10/12/07 05:14 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.