Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#107010 - 09/25/07 08:32 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: CJK]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: CJK
Also consider the following.....I use to live in NYC. Up there the studs were 2x4's. Down here in FL, they do a lot of building with steel studs. I know they have benefits but I still have great difficulty 'nailing' into them. It's a PITA to try to 'anchor' into them when going through the dryway...before you go opening up your drywall, make sure you have wood studs... I know I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with steel studs.

To fasten things to metal studs you need to use screws and you need an electric/battery powered screwgun/drill with a good screw bit in it . Any thing is doable if you have the right tools

#107092 - 09/26/07 07:39 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Well, I will have this conversation with the wife, but I have a feeling I know how it is going to go smile

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#108096 - 10/09/07 12:42 AM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Steel studs aren't a major obstacle. If you only modify one stud bat and stay a bay or two away from the ends of the wall I wouldn't worry much. Just screw in any shelves and rig a piece of plywood, skim coated with drywall mud and painted so it blends, to make a door.

If there is any structural issue or the wall feels shaky it is simple enough to either buy similar steel studs and to make a square section or insert wood ripped down to make a filler.

Lots of room in those empty stud bays. Even more if you fur them out to make a 6" bay. You can also make other improvements. Furred out a bit you can insert isocyanurate sheets as thermal insulation. cover the inside of the bay with ice shield sheeting and it can increase the acoustic insulation. No need to hear your mother in-law having a blow-out.

Other areas that can be converted to storage are soffets in the kitchens and bathrooms. Gasket any doors to keep moisture and fumes out. Doors are sold at many home centers. Perhaps add a little insulation. Use some discretion. Some soffets are sturdily built while others are capable of little more than carrying their own weight. There is also an issue of making sure there is a barrier between the soffet storage and the attic.

Another spot is hallways and closets. Both are typically the same height as the rooms. In many modern houses this is several feet taller than what is normally used.

A 10' hight living room leads to a 10' hallway. There is no reason the hall needs to be 10' high. Build a frame and drywall or plaster to match and you could have a storage area overhead the length of the hall.

Access can be by way of overhead hatches or by way of doors cut through the walls of adjoining rooms. This later method is usually best for using the unused space at the top of closets. Either way you need a step-stool to get to your stuff but there is a lot of room.

Another option along similar lines is to install cabinets along the junction of the wall to the ceiling. This space is usually unused. Well done it looks good. Lots of space for supplies or goods. Particularly the light and bulky stuff like sleeping bags, winter clothing, paper towels and, the one thing your going to need long-term, toilet paper.

#108121 - 10/09/07 09:28 AM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Art_in_FL]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Can't believe it!
I threw this out to the DW and she actually liked it!
As long as we're not storing the pork-n-beans in the bedroom, I think there will be "in the wall" storage in the future.
Thanks for the idea.

#108525 - 10/12/07 11:36 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Susan]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Sneaky! Sneaky! But I like it! You've got many Good Sound Points there!

(Also reminds me of my Kid Days watching Batman, -how when they turned a Bust or Statuary Head, -a Wall would turn around in the Wayne Mansion, -to enable their entry into the Batcave!).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.