The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108058 - 10/08/07 02:13 PM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: NightHiker]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
The shooter was 20 years old and was an LEO? some kind of deputy or auxiliary?

#108059 - 10/08/07 02:15 PM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: billym]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In many states one can become a LEO at 18...

#108077 - 10/08/07 04:58 PM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I was going to say that at least it isn't yet another cover or Britney losing her kids, but then again, maybe it would've been better it it had been. News like this we don't need, either.

Then again, most of what they call news isn't worth my interest. I would much rather hear reports that give me real need to know information that actually helps me in some way. How can knowing about what new stupid stunt Britney or MJ or Bush's daughters have done now possibly help me get through my day? How can hearing about this sort of tragedy in Wisconsin be of any use to me here in Florida? It is all sensationalism, labeled as News, provided more as entertainment and to capture ratings. Maybe there are some folks out there who have families in that town that ought to hear one way or the other who all was involved, but I am guessing they are going to hear the news of that firsthand and directly before they hear it broadcast on national news, or at least they should. In any event, the vast majority of us don't really need to hear about it.

Now if a tropical depression is bearing down on the carribean showing signs of tracking this way and growing, that would be something I would want to know about. If Congress is deliberating about whether a new bill will raise the cost of gas by a nickel next month if it passes might be nice to know about and keep track of so I know who to vote against next election. If some maniac is on a killing spree and was last seen heading towards the region where my girls are going to school, I reckon I would like to know that so I can tell them and they can arm themselves accordingly, that I think would be worth broadcasting to the general public.

Telling me Micks is going to get another couple years tacked onto his sentence now just doesn't do anything for me, sorry.

#108081 - 10/08/07 06:42 PM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I've got to admit that what passes for news these days is pretty pathetic. And what happens to those Hollywood junkie bimbos is just taking up valuable space that could be used for more important items, like Viagara ads and what GW is doing. (blech)

Sue

#108085 - 10/08/07 08:36 PM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I feel bad for his family (in addition to the families of the victims). They're going to carry this guilt for a lifetime.

I can't imagine what the LEO's are going through. To even have to contemplate having to fire on one of your own must be hell much less having to actually do it.

The last I read it was unclear whether he did himself in or if the sniper had to do it.

Unfortunate either way.

I consider this more news worthy compared to what body part Brit or Lindsey got pierced/tattoo'd/shaved, who flunked out of rehab, or any other of irrelevant "digested alpo" that eats up air time on the news lately.

Now all the "digested alpo" that is going to follow this (human interest interviews with the guy's second cousin once removed, etc) I don't consider relevant news by any stretch of the imagination.

#108094 - 10/09/07 12:04 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: samhain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

As sad and unfortunate as this sort of thing may be I have to agree with "samhain" and say I would rather hear about current events of some weight than the usual celebrity drivel. We are a nation with people dying in a war and spending our children's inheritance to do it. We are facing a series of potentially cataclysmic problems in the near future like transitioning away from cheap energy and facing the simple fact that the planet has hard and fast limits on our growth and lifestyle.

But the main issues in nearly every news outlet for a week was how a couple of vacuous overpaid bimbos were misbehaving. So one flashed her cooter and another did three days in adult day-care. Presumable she was kept diapered. This is par for the course, not news. I'm not saying it can't be reported but there are certainly enough celebrity rags and TV shows for anyone who feels they need to know such things. When I turn on the news I want news not gossip.

The shooting qualifies as news in my book. LEO shoots six in jealous rage qualifies. I wonder about the folks going into law enforcement. Seems to me other western nations screen their police better. Of the ones I have personal contact with many seem to be some combination of insecure punks, drunks, bullies, misogynists and/or borderline personalities. In far higher percentages than the normal populations. Many seem to be looking to compensate for their shortcomings by hiding behind a gun, a badge, a stick and an attitude. Maybe the other nations just cover up their failures better but I really think they are better at screening those they give authority to.

Of course some of the problem is that the US has a culture of quick fixes and easy answers. If you have a problem there is always an easy answer. Often a pill. If a pill won't get it too many turn to the other panacea of the American lifestyle, violence. Usually with a gun. A labor saving modern convenience I suppose.

I'm not pushing for gun control. Just some thought about the culture we have built. One which says if your upset or feeling bad you don't look at your own behavior or ask for help. You go out and hurt someone. Essentially you have a temper tantrum. Make noise and blindly hurt people until you get the love and treatment you you are sure you deserve. A gun is just a really efficient way of making noise and hurting people.

#108105 - 10/09/07 02:16 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Viagara ads..."

Now you're talking!!!

#108108 - 10/09/07 02:37 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: KevinB]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: KevinB
Originally Posted By: Stretch
You're probably right, but that doesn't mean it should necessarily be "national" news.

Someone gunning down 6 teenagers is going to be national news. Why would it not be? It's a major tragedy. The fact that the shooter was a policeman certainly adds impact to the story. Seeing a media conspiracy in the reporting of the story is a bit of a stretch.

Kevin B.

I didn;t see a media conspiracy in the reporting of this story.

#108112 - 10/09/07 03:32 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: Stretch]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

Is it just my perception or are more people choosing to kill innocent people whenever a girlfriend dumps them or they feel slighted or under-appreciated? There seems to be more reports of mass murder for trivial reasons. What is going on? So far nobody has implied that this guy was suffering from mental illness or anything except self centered diappointment.

#108113 - 10/09/07 04:32 AM Re: Mass shooting in Wisconsin [Re: TomP]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"Is it just my perception or are more people choosing to kill innocent people whenever a girlfriend dumps them or they feel slighted or under-appreciated?"

Across the board people are under increasing stress. The lack of an effective social safety net and ever increasing social and economic pressures are pushing people closer to the edge. People find it harder to step back and see things in perspective.

Not reacting to an insult is seen as fatal to the reputation. A girl drops them and it seems like the end of the world. There is no inner store of realistic and well found self-worth. For them it is all or nothing.

It takes a strong self-image and sense of self-worth to shrug off an insult and walk away. Inner weakness breeds aggression. This is true at the individual level and in terms of societal violence. From massacres in Vietnam to the mass murder at VPI the violence tends to be committed by people who are overstressed using aggression to cover their fear and lack of inner strength.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.