Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#107779 - 10/04/07 04:21 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: eric_2003]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Eric,

I apologize. Sometimes we get folks who enter the forum just to create controversy with seemingly divisive questions. I made an assumption, and it clearly made me an a**.

Welcome to the forum!

- Brian

Edited by BrianTexas (10/04/07 04:21 PM)
Edit Reason: still can't type worth a darn

#107780 - 10/04/07 04:46 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Frankie]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frankie
...Most of the items I listed I do carry everyday. The folding scissors and Sliver Grippers are on my keychain along with a Fox-40 whistle and Photon II. The p51 is in my wallet and the Spyderco Delica is on my waistband and doesn't show.

Where do you carry the quality fullsized pliers? Do they show?

Originally Posted By: Frankie
As for using the multitool saw in the woods, say in a winter setting the cold would catch you. Say you're wearing a parka, you have to remove your mitts, grab it from the sheath (unless you carry it on your neck) open the tiny saw in the bitter cold, be careful not to drop it in deep snow and so on, it's out of the question.

Say there's terrain in the world somewhat different than Canada in winter. I know, such an idea is ridiculous, but just sayin'...

#107783 - 10/04/07 05:23 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Say there's terrain in the world somewhat different than Canada in winter. I know, such an idea is ridiculous, but just sayin'...

LOL! grin

-Blast, watching the thermometer climb above 90F
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#107784 - 10/04/07 05:52 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

I've read Cody Lundin's book "The art of keeping your ass alive" and it seems he too finds a multitool rather silly. Cody is a survival instructor in the Arizona desert. He does carry one just for the wire cutter since Arizona is full of rusty barbed-wire fencing.

#107794 - 10/04/07 07:14 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: NightHiker]
Xterior Offline

I find myself grabbing my multitool at least once a day, probably more. And, yes I a carry a dedicated folder also, for the normal cutting jobs.

Seems enough reason for me to carry it.

#107797 - 10/04/07 07:41 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Brangdon]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
You need quite a big multitool to get decent pliers on it, though. I have a Swiss Tool which qualifies, but the Juice range doesn't in my view.

The P4 is also a bit weedy, but just about up to the job of cutting and shaping my jumbo paper-clips, which is my minimal criteria. The Juice S2 makes it easier, and adds a decent pair of scissors. For working near human flesh, eg for cutting someone's shoe off, I'm more comfortable using scissors than a knife.

I have:
A Swiss Tool. Rescue Version. Big, solid, beautiful construction.

A Leatherman Wave. 154cm steel blades. Takes and keeps a reasonable edge.

A Leatherman Juice XE6. Small, none locking blades. Think Swiss Champ with pliers attached.

They are have their good points and their weaknesses. I prefer to carry the Swiss Tool on my pack. The Leatherman on my belt and the Juice in any situation in which having a locking blade on me is a very, very bad idea. As in get you arrested.

Interestingly, Victorinox classify their locking blade knives like the Rucksack as tools rather than knives. The blades and saw's on them are excellent.
If I was back wooding in Canada a Granfors Bruks Laplander saw would be in my pocket. With a decent fixed blade knife suitable for very cold conditions. Suitable means Fallkniven F1, A1 etc or one of the Scandinavian Puukko's.
Plus a serious firelighting kit.

#107800 - 10/04/07 08:28 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: NightHiker]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I guess he carries one because he too was seduced by the false safety that a silly multitool provides. He gave it a try and found himself only using it about three times in nine years. He probably just forgot about it and never bothered upgrading it with a dedicated wire cutter. Note that he carries it on his fanny pack along with his extra flashlight so it's not permanently on his body as an essential piece of gear.

#107803 - 10/04/07 09:31 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As for small multi-tools not having decent pliers, check out the new Leatherman Squirt E4. One of the smallest in the Leatherman line and the pliers while small are of a design that works in a small size -- electrical pliers: wire strippers, cutters and a needlenose tip. That will work in a small format and the Squirt is small enough to go in my Mission Wallet.

#107804 - 10/04/07 10:07 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Lundin also calls a Mora S-1 a "full tang" knife, which it is not. What does that mean? He has his opinions, as we all do, but they are only opinions...

#107809 - 10/04/07 11:02 PM Re: Why a Multitool? [Re: Russ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
A multi-tool is just the next incarnation of the venerable Swiss army knife. It's not perfect, but it can be used to improvise in many situations when it's simply not possible to carry a tool box on your person (especially one that so easily slips in a pocket). Instead of having to carry a separate locking blade, screwdrivers, file, saw, can opener, bottle opener, wire cutters, pliers, ect; you have everything in one easy to carry package.

For me, I normally carry a Benchmade 707, but that often gets switched out with a Leatherman Charge when I feel like I'll need it. I also have a Leatherman in my truck and in my backpack. They've come in so handy over the years it's an indispensable part of my gear. Snowmobiling, camping, boating, hiking, working, school.....every environment I've been in it has proved useful at one point or another. Same with my little surefire flashlight. That's why I always keep both nearby. smile

Edited by Paul810 (10/04/07 11:03 PM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.