Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#107539 - 10/02/07 02:10 PM Re: “Man uses reality TV skills to survive.” [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I like his show, and find it entertaining. He does many things I'd wouldn't do but some of the masses watch, which is good.
I could care less he stayed in hotels and had help, after all, it's just a TV show. I guess you like the show, or you don't.

Below are 3 linked sites that mention Bear and British Special Forces. As to there validity, who knows.

*** snip ***
Military
Grylls passed UK Special Forces Selection, serving as a Sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives.

He served for 3 years,on a part-time basis, in 21 SAS, a reserve regiment of the Territorial Army referred to as the "SAS(R)" or "Artists' Rifles" (not to be confused with the regular, 22 SAS). 21 SAS specializes in Close Target Reconnaissance and attack(CTR). During his time with 21 SAS Grylls served actively in North Africa twice. His military career ended abruptly, however, in 1996, when a routine parachute exercise in southern Africa went wrong. His canopy ripped severely and caused him to spiral towards earth from 16,000ft at twice the normal speed, leaving him with three broken vertebrae and left him struggling to feel his legs.[1] Grylls spent the next 12 months in rehabilitation and, with his military career over, directed his efforts into trying to get well enough to fulfill his childhood dream of climbing Everest.

Grylls no longer serves in the British Special Forces but he was awarded the honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander in the UK's Royal Naval Reserve.[2]
*** snip***
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

*** snip ***
He served three years with the Special Air Service, a special forces unit of the British army. During his service, he broke his back in three places in a parachuting accident over Southern Africa.
*** snip ***
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/manvswild/bio/bio.html

*** snip ***
Prior to the Everest Expedition, Bear, also a Karate Black Belt, spent three years with the British Special Air Service (21 SAS).
*** snip ***
http://www.beargrylls.com/biography.html

#107548 - 10/02/07 03:45 PM Re: “Man uses reality TV skills to survive.” [Re: Stu]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I freely admit I watch Bear's show, mostly for the entertainment value, but also to see places I've not been. Sometimes I even get useable information from him.

However, IMHO following Bear's advice is a little like combing your hair with a garden rake. It may get the job done, but you'll probably bleed somewhere in the process. eek

Frank2135

#107601 - 10/03/07 01:34 AM Re: “Man uses reality TV skills to survive.” (Grylls) [Re: norad45]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut. If you're really lucky, it doesn't involve screaming.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107605 - 10/03/07 01:55 AM Re: “Man uses reality TV skills to survive.” [Re: Frank2135]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I too have watched Bear's show for its entertainment value.

Based on what you've all said here, though, it seems I should withdraw my comment about "embellishing the resume." It sounds like he has enough training and experience to be credible in the survival arena.

The risks he takes in front of the camera are, I think, ridiculous. But that's television. Entertainment comes first. What else should we expect?

I just hope people pick up on the good ideas, and ignore the questionable ones.

#107643 - 10/03/07 02:34 PM Re: “Man uses reality TV skills to survive.” [Re: ]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Why would a Combat Engineer even want to pretend he was a Green Beret? <evil grin>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.