Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#107584 - 10/02/07 10:42 PM We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/10/02/sea.mystery/index.html

The crew of the 47-ft Joe Cool is missing. There are bullet casings and blood in the bridge. Two men were found in a life raft about 10 miles from the boat. They are being held without bond. Their alibis won't hold water. It isn't known how they got on board, but one good way might be via waving your shirt from a life raft, assuming they would take you on board.

So, how do you tell a couple of innocent people in a life raft from a pair of pirates?

And what do you do with them, whichever they turn out to be?

First, I'd search them. It isn't clear who the 9mm Glock belonged to, but it isn't the survival kit of choice I'd choose if I had to abandon ship. And if I were the crew, I wouldn't leave it lying around for strangers to appropriate.

Here are some choices:
1) Bring them aboard, search them, and tie them up.
2) Bring them aboard and then shoot them, throw them overboard.
3) Don't bring them aboard, leave them in the life raft, tie it to your stern rail and tow them to what currently passes for civilization.
4) Wave goodbye as you pass and yell that you hope they have a decent survival kit and lots of water.

Any other thoughts?

What to the boat people here say?

Sue

#107587 - 10/02/07 11:10 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: Susan]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Call the Coast Guard to assist while standing close by the raft if you have questions??

When I had a boat in South Florida, we usually had firearms on board.

I suspect the 2 in custody killed the crew and tried to hijack the boat.

#107595 - 10/03/07 12:37 AM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

If I had a fishing boat like that and regularly went way off shore, especially off the southern coast of florida, It'd probably be smart to at least have a small firearm on board. Having said that, if I happened to see a liferaft, and the weather was relatively calm, etc. I'd probably call the coast guard and keep them in close visual range until help arrived. Maybe make a close drive by and toss 'em a couple of bottles of water or something. This is one sad story though.

#107618 - 10/03/07 04:51 AM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I would figure the master of the vessel makes the rules.

Sue

#107622 - 10/03/07 06:57 AM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A couple of things first: as a Coastie Maritime Law Enforcement Boarding Officer (MLEBO), I have dealt with this problem a few times.

1) Know where you're sailing, has piracy been an historical problem? Bahamas, Carribean Sea, Western Pacific, African waters, etc.

2) Realize that most pirates today sign on as crew at a foreign port after a night of the Captain/crew having too many drinks @ a local pub and meeting an expatriated American looking to get home or a local who claims to have knowledge of the area being sailed to.

3) After sailing, the vessel is approached by another vessel (pirate) & the "new crewman" pulls a weapon and gets the drop on the rest of the crew. The "pirate" vessel & crew comes alongside and does what they wish to the crew and the vessel (usually to use it for drug running).

4) Or the pirate vessel approaches close and opens up with small arms fire, disabling the crew (& sometimes the vessel).

On picking up survivors:

1) It is best to mintain some distance.

2) Stay witin hailing distance, and call the nearest gov't maritime agency (USCG, Bahamian Defense Force, Jamaican Coast Guard, etc.)

3) Throw the "survivors" water if they ask, but maintain a safe distance AT ALL TIMES. Manuever your vessel to be able to make a fast getaway!

4) Never tie their raft or boat to your vessel (that's 1 thing that they want you to do).

5) Most pirates appear to be very nice people.

Miscellanous Facts:

1) It is legal to carry firearms onboard. Most vessels carry a pistol and a pump shotgun. Some prefer a semi-auto rifle, as well. That is expected by boarding officers.

2) When in ANY port, keep your business to yourself, don't answer questions, ask questons as an answer. Never admit to being an American, claim Canadian citizenship, they don't tick the people of the world off like we do.

3) Flying a "Jolly Roger" is considered to be a declaration of piracy by most countries and is punishable by death!!! Flying "Flags of rebellion" (ie: Confederate Battle Flag, etc.), can also get you arrested and is punishable by death! This category includes the various "Nazi" flags and modern derivatives.

#107642 - 10/03/07 02:30 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds like something from a Tom Clancey novel...

#107655 - 10/03/07 04:11 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Sounds like something from a Tom Clancey novel...

Actually, Peter Benchley did it first in his novel The Island .

#107660 - 10/03/07 05:02 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirates? [Re: Frank2135]
jjmagnum Offline

You might also wish to peruse the works of Ted Bell...

#107670 - 10/03/07 07:03 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirat [Re: jjmagnum]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

What's this I hear about a new zombie movie up in Alaska?!?!

Some small isolated town gets hit by a zombie infestation the first night of the longest winter night (30 hours of darkness) and the town is cut off from all outside communications.

Edited by OutdoorDad (10/03/07 07:04 PM)

#107672 - 10/03/07 07:31 PM Re: We've dealt with zombies, now what about pirat [Re: OutdoorDad]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I think it has to do with vampires, hence the importance of 30 “days” of darkness.

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.