Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#108357 - 10/11/07 03:13 PM Re: Water purification tabs as a disinfectant? [Re: asfried1]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I think we need to be careful about the terms we are using. “Disinfection” usually refers to the killing of microbes on or in an inanimate object. “Antiseptic” usually refers to the killing of microbes on skin (unless you specify something like “skin disinfectant”).

While “disinfectants” and “antiseptics” are the same chemical in many cases, “disinfectants” are a much stronger concentration since safety of living tissue is usually not a concern.

For cleaning an open wound, regular (safe, drinkable) water is recommended for pressure irrigation. It has been shown to do just as effective a job while not causing tissue damage, stunting healing, or promoting scar tissue. You can use water purification products to create or ensure safe irrigation water, but remember that your objective is to kill the germs in the water, not to kill the germs in the wound. Don’t go crazy with the chemicals. Irrigation with sufficient pressure is all you need to clean the wound.

#108358 - 10/11/07 03:17 PM Re: Water purification tabs as a disinfectant? [Re: asfried1]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've always gone with the belief that the best thing to clean out wounds to prevent or calm an infection is a salt water solution. I have an MSR MIOX Pen so I always have a supply of salt in addition to purification tablets.

#108408 - 10/11/07 09:59 PM Re: Water purification tabs as a disinfectant? [Re: ]
asfried1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I've always gone with the belief that the best thing to clean out wounds to prevent or calm an infection is a salt water solution. I have an MSR MIOX Pen so I always have a supply of salt in addition to purification tablets.

Again, the studies that have been done support the use of plain old drinkable water. There is no advantage to a salt solution - even a completely sterile normal saline irrigation solution. In fact, the evidence suggests that the use of tap water for wound irrigation may be associated with fewer infections than sterile saline.

#108427 - 10/12/07 02:51 AM Re: Water purification tabs as a disinfectant? [Re: asfried1]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

I am swapping out my benzalkonium chloride wipes in the first aid kit for chlorhexidine wipes. Chlorhexidine gives a more persistent disinfection (whoops - antisepsis) that would be beneficial in preventing infection. Asfried1 is right on how tap water is usually adequate for irrigation, but if my FAK had to be used in a non-urban, or a setting without the comforts of home (and hygiene), then persistent activity against microbials would be useful since you can't count on 1) a clean environment, 2) your barrier dressing holding up.
J Hosp Infect 1984 showed that chlorhexidine prevented non-infected wounds from becoming infected, better than saline - this is useful in non-urban settings.

Regarding the miox, also electrolysed oxidized water was shown to be markedly superior to water or saline in serious wounds such as burns. It was superior in preventing local and systemic infection. I have no idea how the miox unit would convert in terms of getting the right concentration, but I remember I investigated this a while back and the marketing rep had told me a solution of 2.5% was made (standardized to chlorine though, and it didn't take into account the other more potent oxidants that miox generates).

Eric

#108448 - 10/12/07 05:08 AM Re: Water purification tabs as a disinfectant? [Re: eric_2003]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I did some digging and found an amazing study.

The study compares just about every irrigation solution and techniques...even the pressure of the irrigation...the results surprised me.

The article ends with some great advice on what to use, when, and how.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.