The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#107142 - 09/27/07 09:20 AM Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I just did a forum search on "GPS". No results???
I am going deer hunting soon and am looking to purchase a GPS. I also spent an hour yahooing for GPS information. Does anyone have any experience they could share on what direction I could take or lessons learned. Budget is $150. My only application (that I'm able to figure out) is hiking/hunting. From what I can tell, the Garmin Etrex seems to fit the bill. Thank you very much.

#107154 - 09/27/07 01:05 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: xavier01]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you click the right links at GPS City you'll get a list of handheld GPS, pages of handhelds. There are quite a few eTrex units listed, I like the Vista HCx, but on your budget, the Garmin eTrex Venture HC would work, I just don't like the bright color of the case. It would be hard to lose it though.

Take spare batteries and don't forget to take a map and compass too.

#107165 - 09/27/07 02:14 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: xavier01]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sidenote on the ETS search function: your search word needs to have at least four letters.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#107169 - 09/27/07 03:21 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Do a seach for "vista".

#107182 - 09/27/07 04:58 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I personally recommend Garmin GPS receivers (good hardware, software, and customer support) and specifically the receivers with the newer high sensitivity chipsets that provide MUCH better reception under heavy cloud cover, leaf canopies, and inside vehicles.

Whatever you get I'll highly recommend you buy a simple case and a PC-interface cable. Use the cable with EasyGPS - a free program that help you upload/download/manage your waypoints/routes/tracks - available at http://www.easygps.com. This allows the user to store unused waypoints/routes/tracks on the PC instead of taking up memory on the GPS receiver.

If you just need to capture and use waypoints, routes, and tracks, and don't need pre-loaded maps (or the currently available maps don't meet your needs) then I'd recommend the eTrex H ($95). You'll appreciate the High sensitivity chipset when under forest canopy.

If you want a GPS with on-board maps, then you'll pay a lot more for the GPS and the mapping software costs an extra amount. I'd recommend the eTrex Legend HCx ($215), GPSMAP 60Cx ($320), or the GPSMAP 76Cx ($320). These units have high sensitivity receivers and external memory cards.

If you also want electronic compass and barometer (not really needed by most users), then I'd recommend the eTrex Vista HCx ($250), GPSMAP 60CSx ($360), or the GPSMAP 76CSx ($360).

In general H=high sensitivity receiver, C=color display, S=sensors (electr. compass & barometer), and x=memory card, but the Vista doesn't list the "S" and the 60 & 76 series don't list the "H".

For US street maps add $120. For US 100K topos add$85. For regional 24K topo maps of the national parks add $90 (there is one for western US, one for central US, and one for eastern US).

If you're still learning about GPS technology and how to use them with a paper map, check out the free pdf brochures at http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/manual.html

#107192 - 09/27/07 06:25 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: KenK]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

+1 for the Garmin Vista series.

Here's the novel I just sent a friend who had questions about my experience with the Vista series. Unfortunately, I don't have any data points on the HCx, but I'm guessing I'll end up buying one pretty soon.

Quote:
I own the Garmin eTrex Vista and the Garmin eTrex Vista Cx, and I've been really happy with both. The entire eTrex series seems very robust. They're waterproof to 1 meter, so you don't need a separate watertight bag for them if you're outside. I really like the interface. Tech support is responsive and helpful. The battery life is good, and it takes 2 AAs so it's easy to get replacements while you're on the road. Using Li batteries makes it a lot lighter. Some of the handhelds have an issue with the rubber gasket separating after a couple of years, but Garmin has been good about replacing them at no cost with a week or so turnaround time, or sending you a self-repair kit.

I worry a bit about scratching the screen, so I keep mine in a neoprene case with a belt clip and a plastic window for the screen. Unfortunately, I find it hard to read the screen through the plastic, so I take it out of the case whenever I'm actually trying to navigate somewhere, but if I'm hiking it can stay in the case on my belt or pack and still get signal/keep a track of where I have been. Setting a waypoint at the trailhead or your car before you start hiking is always a good idea, but it also leaves a "snail trail" on the map to show where you've been, so you can retrace your steps if you have to.

It can up to a couple minutes to acquire satellites after you first turn the unit on, especially if you're in a car going 60 MPH. This is annoying, but once it gets an initial satellite lock it's almost never necessary to do it again until you power off the unit. If I'm moving in a heavily wooded area, a canyon, or an urban canyon, I sometimes have the satellite signal drop out. If I need to figure out where I am, usually just stopping for a minute is sufficient to get signal back. I'm guessing that this is a limitation of the antenna you can fit in a handheld unit. It doesn't have a connector for an external antenna, but I rarely find I need one.

I would recommend getting the Cx. The color makes the maps a lot more legible and information-dense, and it accepts microSD so you can expand the memory capability. I currently have a 2GB card in mine which fits all of the MapSource CityNavigator maps for the entire United States, plus some extra topo maps. On my Vista regular, I was constantly having to upload new mapsets when I traveled. It could handle the maps for driving from Boston to Portland, ME, or a state or so, but not much more than that. This may not matter to you if you're mostly going to be in the same area most of the time. My old Vista is a serial device, so I needed a serial->USB converter. My new Vista has a miniUSB connector, and comes with a USB-miniUSB cable for data transfer. Needless to say, the data transfer is also a lot faster.

The units come loaded with a basemap of the US, which I found it to be usable but pretty limited. I think if you're going to spring for a GPS, you should also get the maps unless you are only going to use the most basic features of the unit. On my old Vista I used an old version of MapSource Metroguide, and when I bought my new Vista I also bought the MapSource CityNavigator maps. The maps are much better in the CityNavigator product. I don't know if it's a limitation of the maps or the unit, but road routing on the old Vista was pretty crappy. It worked well down to the resolution of a street the size of Storrow Drive, but couldn't get you the last mile to your destination. The routing on the Vista Cx + CityNavigator is great. In head-to-head
competitions with the built-in GPS in Jeremy's Prius, my GPS always wins with the more sensible routings/better time estimates.

I also own some of the Garmin topo maps, some European maps, and some Bluewater charts. All of those work great as well. I don't think you can purchase topo software for the entire US, but the national parks, White Mountains, etc. are covered. Don't take the trail locations in the topos as gospel -- I've been on a few trails where the GPS thought I was ~1/8 mi. off the trail and running parallel to it, and in some cases I found out later that the rangers had moved the trail to limit erosion, although in other cases I think the trail locations on the topos weren't entirely accurate. The city maps are much better in this regard. They are certainly accurate enough to keep you from getting lost, however, especially when combined with waypoints and snail trails. Depending on which country you are in, the maps may be
more or less detailed. Ireland was good; Turkey was poor. I also recommend buying the Garmin maps if you go with a Garmin GPS. Other companies like National Geographic also sell map software, but you can only mark waypoints on the map on your PC and then upload waypoints to the unit, not the map itself. By the way, I think that the Garmin software is only PC-compatible, not Mac or Linux, but that may have changed.

I haven't done much comparison shopping for GPS units. Back when I bought the original Vista, I bought it because of the map software support available from Garmin, and because Garmin has a good reputation. When I bought the Vista Cx, I did it because I had such a positive experience with my original Vista and wanted a better display. I see they also have a Vista HCx out now, but I haven't looked at it.

#107199 - 09/27/07 07:23 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: Katie]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Another option is to go for a Magellan Sportrak series.

I do admit that the Garmin offerings are better. However, given your budget, you might be able to snag a Magellan with mapping software for about that price.

Here are the relevant things to look for in a GPS (each one adds money -- you decide what is most important.):

1) Mapping. Unless you get a good package deal, maps (either road or topo) will add around $100 or so. Some cheaper units CANNOT use a map.

2) Storage for maps. Some older units have a limited amount of memory built-in. Newer ones use removable standard memory (SD or micro-SD). Removable memory is better, since you can add a 1Gb card (enough to hold the entire US) for $20.

3) High-sensitivity chipset. You can get by without it, but it sure helps when you are surrounded by trees or mountains.

4) Color screen. Makes looking at the maps a LOT nicer.

5) High-resolution screen. Less important than color, but still nice.

6) Turn-by-turn routing. Your GPS can tell you when to turn while driving (with the right street mapping sofware). Not really necessary for hunting/hiking, but it sure is nice to have when driving in a strange town.

7) Uses standard batteries (either AA or AAA). Using standard batteries, you can carry spares. With a built-in rechargable, carry a charger and a VERY long extention cord while hiking.

8) Waterproof/tough. If you drop it on a rock or in a river, will it live?

Figure out which ones are the most important, and we can help narrow things down.

#107201 - 09/27/07 07:36 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: xavier01]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
1) Make sure that whatever you buy can display position data in the same format that your map uses.
In the UK that would be BNG. (Ordinance Survey British National Grid)
In the USA it would probably be UTM. (Universal Transverse Mercantor)

2) Make sure that you know how to read the display properly.

3) Remember that they don't work under trees.

4) Remember that they use batteries and batteries FAIL.

5) Learning how to use it is a GOOD IDEA. Trying to learn how to use it when you need it is a VERY BAD IDEA.

6) Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). Always a good idea. The more complicated they are, the more difficult they are to operate. All you need is a position display. Anything else is a bonus. If your dropped into Darkness and Chaos and it's raining a storm....

7) Always check it against a known map datum. It might have gone kaput or the US Mil might be playing games with the data.

8) Take a waterproof notepad and a pencil. Write that POSITION and the TIME down. If it fails, thats your last known position.

9) Drop it at home and it will still work. Drop it in the field and it will BREAK.

#107205 - 09/27/07 08:38 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Remember that they don't work under trees.

Actually the newer receivers with the high sensitivity chip sets DO work under trees. They are amazing!

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
All you need is a position display. Anything else is a bonus.

For most people a GPS with on-board maps provides a knowledge of nearby points of interest and the distance to those points. For the James Kim family that kind of information would have been EXTREMELY valuable and potentially lifesaving.

For those who "just want to get back to where they were" or those with a paper map and the skills to transfer coordinates from GPS to map, and vice versa, a basic GPS is enough, but for all others I sincerely recommend having a mapping GPS with appropriate maps loaded.

Of course, the odds are that the paper maps James was carrying didn't have coordinates drawn on it.

Ken

#107211 - 09/27/07 11:14 PM Re: Do's and Don't for purchasing a GPS [Re: harrkev]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One more thing to consider: Do the buttons lock? My Magellan Meridian Color, which I love in every other respect, does not have locking buttons. So if I put it in my pocket, or a soft belt pouch, the buttons ALWAYS get pushed, causing it to do all kinds of wierdo things...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 532 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
Today at 02:23 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.