Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#106943 - 09/25/07 12:51 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: thseng

My first question is, how would you distinguish yourself from someone like Redflare and twenty others out there?

No secrets, it's service, selection and value. Been in customer service businesses for 35+ years so I hope I've made all the mistakes already!

Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
The medical stuff is where the money is. If you can get single use (scalpels, suture kits, etc.) and still offer some bulk items. That would be great.

Those items are available on the wholesale market, so hopefully yes.
Originally Posted By: simplesimon
You could include the stuff Doug recommends in his gear guide. A world of warning; starting a business with friends or relatives can be very dangerous if you don't treat them the same as any other employees.
Simon

Not sure I want to compete with Doug but I do think I could compliment his kits by allowing folks to add those items that he doesn't include or replacements for consummables.

After nearly 40 years of being with my DW I ain't going to risk screwing it up now. The answer to all questions is "yes, dear."

Originally Posted By: Mike_in_NKY
It is maddening to pay a $6.95 shipping charge when the actual postage is $0.75 and in a regular envelope (less than $0.10).
Good Luck!

As stated above my principles of doing business have always been to provide service and value. Shipping is a cost of doing business but I don't believe in making it its own profit center. I'll be very cognizant of everyone's sensitivty to that issue.

Thanks for everyone's input, what a great place this forum is!

#106947 - 09/25/07 01:19 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
simplesimon Offline

I don't think you would be competing with Doug. Hardly any hikers are going to buy his aviation double kit. It's for two people and too much to carry if you are backpacking.
This way he gets a cut of sales he wouldn't have made otherwise.
Nothing to lose by asking him.
simon

#106950 - 09/25/07 01:26 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Maybe put together package deals, combinations of items that add up to an amount worth shipping.

#106969 - 09/25/07 03:00 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: Andy]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
To be honest, I really do not see this as being very profitable. Selling a handful of items where you are making a few dollars at the most seems to be more of a hobby then a business. Without larger priced items to offset the cost of doing business and allow you to make a decent profit coupled with the relatively small market base does not seem (to me) to be profitable.

Redflare (and others) already offer individual first aid products (and other individual items), so I would think you would already be entering the market place with some pretty stiff competition.

I know a few years ago, there was a similar home-based business (his name escapes me right now) where forum members would purchase small quantities of items. I believe that due to family obligations, he was unable to continue the operation. I am not sure of the profitability of his operation, but would think that if it were decent, he would have continued/resumed.

I must also admit, I feel some obligation to Redflare, he has been very responsive to the needs of the forum and as a sponsor, I feel supporting his enterprise, in part supports the continuance of the forums.

Just my 2 cents-
Pete

#106974 - 09/25/07 03:38 PM Re: Would this be helpful? [Re: paramedicpete]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Pete,

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't completed the economic model as yet but I do understand, having worked in distribution, wholesale and retail markets, the need for rational thought and market research. That's why I genuinely appreciate the feedback from you and others.

Brand loyality is great but there's always room for competition and innovation. If this ever gets off the ground I hope you'll stop by for a look see.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.