Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106206 - 09/19/07 02:25 AM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: GarlyDog]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Yeah, I saw that they had Riddex listed there at the end of paragraph regarding the products that were subject to the complaint and other things they made.

I appreciate you calling it to my attention. I guess I should have added: I definitely will be looking for another method to keep the rodents at bay. shocked

Thanks again!

#106258 - 09/19/07 12:37 PM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: Nicodemus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Metal and/or glass and/or crocery seem to be about the only sure solution to isolating foodstores from rodents. I have yet to find a plastic that they don't penetrate.

At the remote radio sites I used to frequent, we solved rodent problems in two ways. First, we sealed the building as best we could. We plugged every hole and penetration with steel wool and RTV caulk or duct seal. They can't chew through the steel wool without hurting themselves bad, and the caulk or duct seal held it in place so they couldn't just push/pull it out. We made sure the doors sealed tight enough that anything thicker than a sheet of paper wouldn't pass through. We put double layers of HD metal screen over every vent. Second, we also put down sticky boards with a Frito in the center. Wouldn't you know, despite all those precautions, we would still find dead mice and bugs on the sticky boards later on. Either they snuck in through the open door while we were there or they found another way in somehow.

#106358 - 09/20/07 12:16 AM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: Nicodemus]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Get an outside cat. We never had a problem with rodents smaller than the cat (1 big rat) in the years we had one.

#106523 - 09/21/07 07:29 AM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: UTAlumnus]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Thanks for all of the help and great information everyone, it's very much appreciated!

#188943 - 11/23/09 03:55 AM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: GarlyDog]
nigelricky Offline
Stranger

Hi there guys, I realize this topic is a little bold, but I was hoping you guys could help me out with understanding if this is a quality product or not.

Half of the people think riddex is either a scam, or just a bad product, but the other half seem to think it works pretty well. Have they come out with any more recent versions lately? Are they more effective now?

Please let me know your opinion in a reply. Thank you!

#189009 - 11/23/09 07:48 PM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: Nicodemus]
camerono Offline

I smell a rat. The post is one day old and has over 58,000 views??????

Cameron

#189010 - 11/23/09 08:03 PM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: camerono]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Actually the original post is over two years old. I know, I posted it after a minor incursion of rodents upon my food storage. lol

Did the 58,951 views occur over that period of time or did they all appear in a day?

Regarding the Riddex Plus, I never did try it after warning from the forum members about it being a scam. I still see the commercials from time to time.

#189012 - 11/23/09 08:59 PM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Mike, for the inventive twist on the "pail mouse trap."

I don't know how I missed this. It's perfect for little-used storage buildings.

Now I need to figure out how to cat-and-dog-proof one of these (because of the sweet but poisonous glycol). Maybe put the wire and can 1/3 way down the pail, and leave the lid on with a hole for rodent access.

#189029 - 11/23/09 11:29 PM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Doug,

We had a bad year for mice at our camp and we had to do a major shop-vac clean-up before we could even move in for the deer hunt 2 weeks ago.

We had to stop using poison bait because the mice were dying in hidden places and the smell was terrible. They have infested our propane range/oven so bad that we may have to throw it in the dump.

One new solution is to either totally seal a compartment (like the cupboard where we keep the dishes or food), or leave the area wide-open so the mice feel exposed and do not build their nests there. We now leave the BBQ, oven, and metal reflective sheets behind the woodstove open and it seems to deter the mice from nesting there. It only took us 13 years to figure this out.

It is also inportant to plug any holes to the outside, spray foam and steel wool do a good job in our old camp.

I forgot about this post, the battle continues!

Your changes to the pail-trap should keep the dog/cats out, but let the mice in. The overwinter dead mice, even in a pail of windshield washer fluid, are not a pretty sight.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (11/23/09 11:33 PM)

#189034 - 11/24/09 12:39 AM Re: Riddex Plus [Re: SwampDonkey]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I need to plug my basement 100% and set some traps we've heard a few guys in the walls frown

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.