"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#105581 - 09/13/07 08:14 PM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: thseng]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Philip said:

"but they don't pay attention to what's in the vest, and
it's another bag's worth of stuff that I don't want to
check."

Gee, that's comforting. Remind me not to get on a plane with a terrorist who has the same idea.

DFW

#105596 - 09/13/07 11:15 PM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: thseng]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: thseng

The more expensive one is much better built. It is built by SoTech and is built to withstand just about anything. A few members of our rescue squad own them and I can highly recomend it if you are going to be using it alot. It is a very heavy and hot vest, and I have recently switched to the AeroVest from TrueNorth to test for SAR use and am also looking into WolfGear's USAR Vest.

The lesser expenisve one I have no operational experience with, but it looks and feels well enough built for a vest that would see occasional use or reside in a trunk waiting for an emergency.

As for SpecialForces.com... they are good to go, they have great customer service and communication.

Edited by Alan_Romania (09/13/07 11:19 PM)

#105602 - 09/14/07 12:12 AM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: Alan_Romania]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I frequently use a vest. Very useful for "day hike" and other "on the go" type of operation. There have been many discussions on the forum of vests. I suggest you do a search.

#105621 - 09/14/07 04:02 AM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: DFW]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
:-> I'm talking about the gate agents. I've already had the vest and contents x-rayed and subjec to the scrutiny of the TSA experts.

#105625 - 09/14/07 05:45 AM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: CBTENGR]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I generally have concerns about looking too tactical, particularly in an emergency. Joe Average is too likely to mistake you for a cop; cops are more likely to think you are up to no good. And when the Guard comes in, yeah, that's a risk I'd like to minimize. Nothing against Gaurdsmen, but they aren't cops and a lot of them are pretty tightly wound, it makes the odds interesting.

That being said, if you don't go with camo or black, and you don't have a ton of little pouches, you will be in a better position. Unfortunately, they don't make a lot of MOLLE gear in crowd friendly colors, other than a few navy blue items over at Emdom and a few red/orange items of unknown quality that Major's Surplus or Sportmans Guide might have. So I'd recommend solid green or tan/coyote. Try to color match your pouches as well as you can.

My ditch kit, which is part of BOB, is here . I use a two-piece MAV, which is much more comfortable than the one-peice MAV that I started with. My way of testing how a load rides is to go to my folks or up to a friend's place, both of which are on relatively minor roads, put them on, and take a four mile walk. When I started, I had a bunch of smaller pockets on the MAV-1. There must have been something karmic, becuase I saw more cops on those roads when I was testing that configuration than I've ever seen. And most of the cops slowed down or stopped. Nothing major, they were curious and thought it was kinda cool when I showed them what I was testing. But take it off a back road with a lot of stressed out people, and it isn't as pleasant a situation.

As it is now, I've been passed by cops on the same roads, and they just ignore it; it's also been seen by various people on foot, and they ask were my fishing pole is. (I tell them it is a telescoping one in my pouch if they are my parent's more dingy neighbors, or most of the truth.) So, I would say solid neutral color and big pockets are good. I've used patches with velcro in the past, but I'm thinking I'll see if I can find a second hand fleece lined vest or something, and make fleece patches for it so it really looks like a fishing vest when the time comes.

Now, I guess my question is, how much gear is in your BOB? I like this guy, becuase if this is all I have or I'm using the small school pack I keep in my car, I can wear it like a lumbar pack. But it is only a chest rig- if I need more stuff, I need a real pack.

If you are thinking something bigger than this, and you don't mind the price, how about the Camelbak Delta-5 vest? That gives you a 100 ounce bladder right off the get go. And it has enough space for 2, possibly 3 with a belt, buttpacks like the CountyComm EOD bags I used or the Emdom Wideload/Fatty Wideload on the back, and one more low on the front on each side, with a smaller pouch (like the MOLLE canteen pouch or the SpecOps X-6) higher up. Downside is that you start getting into real money for your nylon and you haven't added anything useful yet. Just keep in mind that you are going to look like you've gained about two hundred pounds. smile

I have a friend who is doing something like this with a vest made on a modified LBV-88 pattern but set up for MOLLE, and he's able to get most of a packload into it except for a real tent or sleeping bag, but he has rolled up wool blanket and tarp attached to it.

Another option might be a hunter's vest. Think the photographer vest, but with bigger (but fewer) pockets. A lot of them are set up with shotshell loops, which you might not want, but Eagle Industries makes a very nice hunters vest that used to be available in orange and red years and years ago. I know they are popular with game wardens so I can't image they've gone out of production.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105640 - 09/14/07 02:04 PM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: Alan_Romania]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Thanks for the info Alan. I assumed they were both made by the same mfg. but I guess the cheaper one is a clone.

When I think back about how long it took me to get my gear the way I wanted it, I'm thinking that I might want to start with MOLLE so that I can change things around. Gear is a very individual thing and I'll bet any fixed vest is always going to have exactly the wrong size and number of pouches. I'll bet that the black pouch in the photo is your GPS smile

Just for kicks I went on an imaginary shopping spree at Cheaper Than Dirt:

Item # MOLLE-434 MOLLE Tactical Vest OD GREEN Mag Pockets, Mesh, Adjustable $19.97 $19.97
Item # MOLLE-450 MOLLE Ammo Pouch OD GREEN 7x6.5x3" Spill Proof Ammo Bag $11.97 $23.94
Item # MOLLE-453 MOLLE EMT Pouch OD GREEN 7x5x2.5" Zipper Closure $7.97 $15.94
Item # MOLLE-439 MOLLE Radio Pouch OD GREEN Hook & Loop Fasteners to Close, L or R Handed $9.97 $9.97
Item # MOLLE-302 MOLLE Deployment Bag OD Green 11.5x5.5x6" Compress Divided $12.97 $12.97
Item # MOLLE-341 MOLLE Gadget Bag OD Flap Closure, Zippered Pocket $9.97 $9.97
Item # MOLLE-452 MOLLE Buttpack 15x15x8 OD Green Three Pockets, Fully Lined $27.97 $27.97
Item # MOLLE-436 MOLLE Utility Pouch OD Green 8.5x4.5x3.5" Dual Zippers $11.97 $11.97
Item # MOLLE-456 MOLLE Hydration System OD GRN Carrier 14x6.5x3" Heavy Bladdr $19.97 $19.97

Product Cost $152.67

I doubt the quality would be anywhere near good enough, but it might be worth it to try it out, find the flaws, and then sell it all on ebay when I upgrade to something mission-ready.

Edited by thseng (09/14/07 02:04 PM)

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#105652 - 09/14/07 03:35 PM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: thseng]
marvin Offline
Stranger

Good places to find vests/pouches/etc:

www.skdtac.com
www.optactical.com

I've bought from both and was fully satisfied.

#105669 - 09/14/07 05:41 PM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: ironraven]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

For around 15 years I have worn while gun hunting a flouresent orange Hunters Vest with many pockets and built-in backpack that I bought at Cabelas for around $60.00.

It was a great piece of clothing as it carried all my hunting gear plus I could stored my extra insulating or waterproof clothing in the expandable backpack/game-pouch. It was also the colour required by law while gun hunting so it helped prevent me from being mistaken for a game and shot.

The problem with the vest was the combination of both the required colour and the large capacity; while in the field I could never take the vest off, therefore I always had to support the weight of all my equipment stored in it.

Recently I have changed to a lighter orange vest and just carry my EDC items, plus the essential hunting equipment on my person. The heavier hunting specific equipment I carry in an orange backpack so I can remove it when I get to my watch, when I need a break (e.g. lunch) or when I travel in a vehicle.

I may just feel the weight of my old heavily loaded vest more now that I am getting older; I like to think that I am just getting smarter.

Mike

#105707 - 09/15/07 12:15 AM Re: MOLLE Vest [Re: thseng]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Yup, black pouch is my GPS. I completely understand the desire to fiddle with gear until it is just right. My kits change regularly as I tweek the contents etc.

While that vest is a great stand along kit for some SAR operations like mounted ops or short foot patrols it has extreme limitations and VERY uncomfortable with a pack. Not an uncommon problem with vest setups. A MAV like Ironraven mentioned is a great option for a BOB "vest" you can carry a good quantity of necesities and still carry a pack comfortably.

I prefer a smaller chest rig, Eagle Industries' Universal Chest Rig mostly because it is smaller and fills a wider range of fuctions for me. SKD Tactical (who I will second as a great vendor) offers a slimmer version of Eagle's Universal Chest Rig that gives you pals webbing inplace of the large radio (etc) pockets to customize your setup.

Your options for a vest or chest rig are limitless. If you aren't in a great hurry and can spend some time planing/researching you should be able to find what you need. Make a list of what you want to carry and how, than GOOGLE is your friend.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.