Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#105504 - 09/13/07 11:54 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: saniterra]
NAro Offline
Addict

I really like this one.

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#600X1146

Neck or pocket.. both comfortable. I have no need for a rigid (e.g. Altoids) box.

#105505 - 09/13/07 12:13 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: NAro]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
I have mine in an Otterbox 2000. Very tough and waterproof to 100 + feet.

#105516 - 09/13/07 01:48 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: SwampDonkey]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I like the multi-purpose aspect of a metal container.

I am afraid container serching has become an addiction for me, I often care more about the container than the product inside.

Know how you feel. Sometimes the container contents are an absolute nuisance. Unfortunately, buying new plain tins, etc., from commercial suppliers usually means you have to buy in lots of at least 100. Say...do you think we could get 98 fellow addicts to pitch in?

On second thought, 100 of us would never agree on "the" perfect size, so forget it. Oh, well. The search goes on.

Frank2135

#105521 - 09/13/07 02:08 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: GoatMan]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Quote:
Has anyone used the BCB mini messtin box yet?

I have tried this box and still us it. It is fairly bulky in a pocket, kind of fragile too. I bent the lid by trying to over-fill the box. I doubt that the seal works very well the way I have it packed. Despite the shortcomings, I like it better than an mint tin or otter box.

Edited by GarlyDog (09/13/07 02:19 PM)

#105540 - 09/13/07 04:38 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: GoatMan]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
How about the shell of a Adventure Medical Ultralight First Aid Kit or something similar. They have a tough zip lock type interior bag and an outer zip nylon bag.

I am totally sold on the Aloksak zip lock interior bags that come with the AMK Ultralight kits. You can also buy them separately: REI Aloksak 4 Pack

They're clear, 6 mil, and waterproof to 200 feet. They also seem more flexible to me than most Ziplocks, which helps resist punctures.

I also get a lot of mileage out of the 4 mil Elkay poly zip top bags for things that don't want to get wet while I'm hiking -- cell phone, driver's license, etc. They hold up a lot better than your average freezer Ziploc. The freezer Ziplocs are more compact, so I always throw a couple in my gear (both quart and gallon size), even if I don't know what I'll be using them for, whether I'm hiking or traveling. Invariably, when I get back to civilization I've found a use for every last one of them.

#105545 - 09/13/07 05:02 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: GoatMan]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
I have a couple of those kits...don't remember the number..maybe .5...anyway, the included sack is an Aloksak...very cool...waterproof to 200m...in case you want to take it deep sea diving smirk
Also puncture resistant and dust proof...if the company's claims stand up. Aeromedix was billing one size as a perfect fit for the DR PSK...and now mine lives in an Aloksak. A lightweight insurance policy. I had carried my first PSK in my back pocket and eventually split the seam of the pouch it comes in, although now the new one rides in a Spec Ops pouch in a cargo pocket.

One word about zip loc type bags (in case it hasn't been mentioned). I prefer freezer bags as opposed to the standard weight. Much more durable, and packing space wise they are a titch more bulky, but the added strength is worth it IMHO. The Wal Mart brand of quart size freezer bags (the only WM bags I've used) seem to hold up as well as the name brand...maybe even better.

#105548 - 09/13/07 05:23 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Buffalohump]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Although certainly not pocket sized, what about the good old Nalgene bottle? Waterproof...tough, see through. I've been mulling over the idea of what to put in quart size for a while now, but a pint size might yield good results as well. I've thought about individual kits for my family to keep in the car...easy to carry if we should have to abandon the car for some reason. Like so many of us who spend time re-working and re-thinking kits, it gives me something to do.

Speaking of which, I'm going to check out some of those Elkay bags...looks pretty handy.

#105556 - 09/13/07 06:30 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Ors]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
It's been done, actually. In the spring I went to the local sports equipment store with Number One Grandson to outfit him for the summer soccer league. We were looking at water bottles, and I noticed one labeled "Emergency Kit". Packed in the bottle was a mini flashlight, a whistle, bandaids, a small compass, some string, a mylar emergency blanket, and a few other goodies.

Not a bad idea, until you need to use the bottle for water, at which point I guess you fill up your pockets with everything else.

#105563 - 09/13/07 07:20 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Frank2135]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
We were looking at water bottles, and I noticed one labeled "Emergency Kit"

I saw these at LL Bean. They are clever enough to include a ditty bag so you can both use the water bottle and carry the contents, although they seem kind of gimmicky to me, and the contents aren't of the greatest quality. They have a bunch of them -- Fitness in a Bottle (biner, pedometer, sunscreen, lip balm, first aid kit and stuff sack), Outdoor Survival in a Bottle (whistle, compass, shake flashlight, small knife, emergency blanket, poncho, duct tape, first-aid kit, waterproof matches, biner, carry bag), Paddler in a Bottle (compass/whistle/waterproof match case, light sticks, emergency blanket, poncho, first aid kit, sunscreen), Auto Aid in a Bottle (shake flashlight, knife, screwdriver, tire gauge, safety flasher, reflective vest).

...and if all of that surviving is stressing you out, you can go for the Toblerone in a Bottle (1 lb. of Toblerone chocolate), or the Travel Spa in a Bottle (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor, shaving cream, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, bath salts, vanity kit, mending kit, stuff sack). smile

#105565 - 09/13/07 07:24 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.