Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105488 - 09/13/07 03:06 AM Ultralight Cordage
GoatMan Offline

If you could only pick one type of "ultralight cordage", what would it be?

The idea behind this is to pick only a single type of line for use in a pocket size survival kit. The goal is to pick a single type to use for fishing, snares, sewing, and other typical light cordage duties when the 550 cord isn't needed. This is also assuming you do not want to use the inner strands of the 550 cord.

The three best options that come to mind and that have been suggested in various posts include: Coat & Clark's Upholstery Thread, Spiderwire Superline fishing line, and Dacron (2) kite string.

I haven't seen true weight limits on the upholstery thread, but you can get the Spiderwire Superline and Dacron kite string tests up to several hundred pounds. The broad range under consideration is 50-200# strengths. For the sake of arguement, consider anything less as insufficient to use as snare wire and anything stronger as too bulky. But if you have a strong argument to make here, you'll probably share anyway.

If other equal quality ideas are out there, include them in your post. My question is, has anyone out there used more than one of these quality options? What are the pros/cons of each? What do you prefer and why?

Thanks as always!
GoatMan

#105496 - 09/13/07 04:30 AM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: GoatMan]
quietmike Offline
Stranger

I'd throw type 1 paracord into this group as well. 1/16 of an inch w/100# tensile strength and has five inner strands.

Would have the advantage of being a little more versatile I'd think.

#105515 - 09/13/07 01:38 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: quietmike]
GoatMan Offline

The 100-200# paracord like cordage sounds like it could prove very useful and be worthwhile for hip pack size kits, but it may not fit the bill for a true pocket size kit. It could be wrapped around other objects or the kit itself like true 550 cord, but it is not something I would personally put onto a sewing bobbin. It may also be a bit large for sewing & fishing. The inner strands may work well for sewing, but how about fishing?

The quest for the ideal all-purpose lightweight cordage continues. Specifically interested in the three options I posted on earlier. But thanks for the input!

#105518 - 09/13/07 01:56 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: GoatMan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Paracord is too bulky for pocket carry of enough length to be useful to me. I will EDC 25-50 yards of 120 lb test dacron. It is small enough to use as dental floss (be careful because it's abrasive qualities will cut your gums something fierce if you aren't). It works well for stitching up clothing, leather, plastic, or flesh. It doesn't biodegrade, but it is susceptible to UV decomposition. It doesn't stretch and it doesn't shrink. You can fish with it and it'll handle 200 lb halibut or 70 lb king salmon, yet still be light and soft enough in the water for catching crappie or bass or trout. It is wicked netting and snare material. It works really good as a lashing material for constructing a primitive shelter. It makes a most excellent backing for duct tape.

10 strands of 120 lb dacron yield enough strength to use it as a climbing line, except that dacron has no give to it, so it is a bit hazardous if you slip and free fall any distance, and the diameter of the rope will be too small to grasp properly.

#105527 - 09/13/07 02:40 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Spiderwire is a lot like Dacron, and I think more resistant to UV and less abrasive. It is also more expensive lb for lb.

I'd go with either one. I just happen to have a lot of the Dacron already on hand.

In fact, I think there are now about half a dozen different synthetics out there that spec out about the same. I guess it just depends on what you are familiar with and what is available.

I grew up using dacron line both for my top end kite flying out at the Oregon coast, and for fishing up at Hakai and the inside passage. Back then, that was pretty much all there was for sportsfishermen. I guess that's why I always go back to it; I know what it will do and am familiar with it. I suspect I would find the others do just as well.

#105528 - 09/13/07 02:46 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: benjammin]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i did a quick ebay search and found 400# monofilament, and 100# monofilament. the 400# doesn't show the actual line, so i don't know how bulky it is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ande-400-Lb-Test-Cle...1QQcmdZViewItem

the 100# line looks fairly normal, and for fishing, sewing, lashing, etc, i inagine 100# would be more than sufficient, unless you're fishing for sharks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Anbe-Monofilament-10...1QQcmdZViewItem

(i am in no way affiliated with either of these sellers; i'm just listing examples.)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#105535 - 09/13/07 04:03 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: Erik_B]
rabagley Offline
Student of Life
Stranger

400# monofilament is a solid hunk of plastic and does not drape well. Actually, I don't even like 100# mono when I need it to lay flat. It's just not limp enough.

To the original question, I prefer 100# braided spiderwire (or 80# sufix braid, which I just started playing with), you just need to be careful of the mantle. If that frays, spderwire's kernel threads quickly degrade in UV (sufix may have better UV resistance, I'm still testing). These exotic materials are more expensive than dacron, but the cost isn't that significant in the amounts I usually try to have around.

As for emergency climbing, I keep 300ft of 550 paracord in each vehicle and 100ft in the BOB. I have climbed on it (doubled, short fall only), and the stretch was really important on my test falls. I wouldn't climb on a static line unless that's all there was between my ass and oblivion. I'd probably try to move the attachment point away from my waist. Too easy to break your back with a static line that way.

#105553 - 09/13/07 05:56 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: rabagley]
GoatMan Offline

rabagley - How would you compare the Spiderwire - Superline Ultracast-Invisiband , Stealth, and Ultracast ?

Not having fished all that much, it is difficult to tell what advantage one has over the other. Maybe based my lack of experience in this area, it wouldn't matter.

#105567 - 09/13/07 07:29 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: GoatMan]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I like 50# test fishing line; strong, but small enough to carry in a wallet.

Teacher

#105570 - 09/13/07 07:40 PM Re: Ultralight Cordage [Re: GoatMan]
rabagley Offline
Student of Life
Stranger

I've only used spiderwire classic braid and fusion. I like them both. I'm happy to see improvements, but those newer variations you mention weren't available last time I bought for fishing. I just picked up a few reels of sufix braid a few months ago, but have to admit that I didn't even look over at the spiderwire to see if there were newer products.

Even sight unseen, I'd trust that these new things are plenty tough, just be careful about fraying and sunlight. If your use requires the full strength of the line, be sure to tie around frayed sections as soon as you notice the damage.

Just did some quick reading and it looks like the spiderwire ultracast has a tougher and more tightly woven mantle than the classic braid. That sounds like a real improvement to me, but I'd recommend only buying one spool and practicing tying knots in it and using it for some real world tasks before you invest smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.