The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105319 - 09/11/07 07:22 PM Hi
vin7 Offline
Stranger

Hi everyone
I am a new member although I have visited this site quite often.Some thoughts? I am interested in military individual survival kits and their doctrine. Many of their ideas are good and spin over into the discussion area of this forum.The outdoors survival training scene has benefited greatly from the military especially Gen Curtis Le May and Lt Col Burton T Miller after World War 11. Of course some of the doctrine has been flawed
Has anyone visited the Freedom Industries website and looked at their pdf 2006 brochure. Included in it are both the USAF personal survival kit and escape and evasion kits with quick clot, handcuff key etc. Some good kit ideas.The photos are pretty good and it is in the public domain.By the same token has any body visited the stinet.dtic military documents site and looked at the study and design of the Special Warfare Individual Aid and Survival Kit for 1963.It is unclassified. Interesting.
I have not seen any comment on the current BCB kits and I am not impressed with their so called Special Forces Survival kit as issued to SAS etc.
If any body is interested I shall post a couple of genuine SAS and SASR survival kits list just for comment.
cheers
Vin 7

#105326 - 09/11/07 07:42 PM Re: Hi [Re: vin7]
thtimster Offline

I did like the warning not to set up sleeping arrangements under a coconut tree.

Tim

#105332 - 09/11/07 08:48 PM Re: Hi [Re: vin7]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Vin7,

Welcome to the fire! Sounds like you'll fit right in.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#105335 - 09/11/07 09:01 PM Re: Hi [Re: vin7]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: vin7
Hi everyone
I am a new member although I have visited this site quite often.Some thoughts? I am interested in military individual survival kits and their doctrine. Many of their ideas are good and spin over into the discussion area of this forum.The outdoors survival training scene has benefited greatly from the military especially Gen Curtis Le May and Lt Col Burton T Miller after World War 11. Of course some of the doctrine has been flawed
Has anyone visited the Freedom Industries website and looked at their pdf 2006 brochure. Included in it are both the USAF personal survival kit and escape and evasion kits with quick clot, handcuff key etc. Some good kit ideas.The photos are pretty good and it is in the public domain.By the same token has any body visited the stinet.dtic military documents site and looked at the study and design of the Special Warfare Individual Aid and Survival Kit for 1963.It is unclassified. Interesting.
I have not seen any comment on the current BCB kits and I am not impressed with their so called Special Forces Survival kit as issued to SAS etc.
If any body is interested I shall post a couple of genuine SAS and SASR survival kits list just for comment.
cheers
Vin 7

Vin7,
Welcome. Could you post some links to the sites/sources you mention?

#105337 - 09/11/07 09:11 PM Re: Hi [Re: thtimster]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
I'm curious as to what's in the genuine kits. So please do list away.

Yes, please post links. Not finding FI.

Edited by JamesJ (09/11/07 09:12 PM)

#105352 - 09/11/07 10:40 PM Re: Hi [Re: JamesJ]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: JamesJ
I'm curious as to what's in the genuine kits. So please do list away.

Yes, please post links. Not finding FI.

Your search-fu is weak Grasshopper...

Actually, I am having a little problem with the FI link too.
BUT...

The Defense Technical Information Center...etwork (STINET)

SMALL DEVELOPMENT REQUIREMENT FOR INDIVIDUAL AID AND SURVIVAL KIT FOR SPECIAL WARFARE

They have some INTERESTING things on that site...
Quote:
Title: Implantable Neural Interfaces for Sharks
AD Number: ADA470127 Corporate Author: MICHIGAN UNIV ANN ARBOR DEPT OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING Personal Author: Kipke, Daryl R. Carrier, Jeffrey Anderson, David J. Report Date: May 01, 2007 Media: 38 Pages(s) Distribution Code: 01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE Report Classification: (Not Available). Source Code: 602019 From the collection: Technical Reports

!!!!!!

#105359 - 09/12/07 12:51 AM Re: Hi [Re: jamesraykenney]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Quote:
Title: Implantable Neural Interfaces for Sharks
AD Number: ADA470127 Corporate Author: MICHIGAN UNIV ANN ARBOR DEPT OF BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING Personal Author: Kipke, Daryl R. Carrier, Jeffrey Anderson, David J. Report Date: May 01, 2007 Media: 38 Pages(s) Distribution Code: 01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE Report Classification: (Not Available). Source Code: 602019 From the collection: Technical Reports

Ah, those must be the sharks I ordered with frikken' laser beams straped to their heads.
Buwaahaahaa!!

-Blast, who is one step closer to ruling the planet!
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#105364 - 09/12/07 02:35 AM Re: Hi [Re: vin7]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

Funny, I never thought of LeMay in any contex other than Attack Attack Attack...

#105365 - 09/12/07 02:43 AM Re: Hi [Re: billym]
vin7 Offline
Stranger

Hi BillyM,
The url to Friendship Industries is www.friendship-industries.com
They are a firm who put together packages and kits for various industries. The kits are in their online pdf catalogue. As to the other kits I need to get to my notes and books for precise references as i have just moved to New Zealand from Australia. I am ex military and always kept my eyes open for survival doctrine. I debriefed everybody that would talk informally. The first SAS kit is published and was used by 22 and 21 and 23 Regiments from the 60s into the 70s. It is photographed in a Leroy Thompson and Ken Mc Swan book on the SAS.
The kit is basic and has no consumerables in it as per then Commonwealth doctrine. It consists of a simple dark vinyl pouch with tape ties,magnifying glass, larger brass button compass, steel shirt pocket size heliograph, half heavy duty hacksaw blade,wire saw,water sacs(vinyl bags) MOD Nato approved fishing kit,like the BCB one and a brass wire snare. All wrapped in brown vapour inhibited paper. I guess they supplemented it with the matchless fire kit ( similar to the BCB) water sterilising tablets, milbank filter bag, insect repellant and stolen aluminium pocket sized med kits ripped of RAF aircraft. The pocket NZSAS medical kit of the period was a simple pill tube roll in canvas. i worked with them in the 1970s but they were equipped in many ways for the 1950s and 1960s.
As to the other kits one was put together by a trooper of SASR in the 1970s and one is a dixie kit (mess tin) kit put together by a 22 SAS man of the same period. I will check my notes on these. The other lists are what troopers carried as emergency packs for when they broke contact with the enemy, often shrugging off their web gear and heading to their emergency RV. Some were given to me and one has been published in Horners Phantoms of the Jungle History of the Australian SAS.
More to follow
Vin7

#105373 - 09/12/07 03:03 AM Re: Hi [Re: vin7]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Welcome aboard Vin7!

I am a bit worried about this WW 11 you speak of though... I missed all of them after 2 I think. Kidding. smile

Welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (jds, NAro), 173 Guests and 112 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.