The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104391 - 09/03/07 04:32 AM odd sighting
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I was outside tonight, and saw something I'd never seen before. It was certainly a satellite- right speed, right track- but its magnitude oscillated from nothing to fairly bright (about on par with Altair) on a 15 second cycle.

Anyone else ever seen this? It was very cool, and I'm sure anyone who didn't watch the sky regularly might mistake it for an *cough* import or tourist. I'm assuming the satellite is spinning and the changing faces have different reflectivity, but I didn't think most satellites continued to spine after the solar panels and other squashed down bits had been pulled out by centripetal force if that was the method they used.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104393 - 09/03/07 04:57 AM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Thanks to your post, I learned something.

An excerpt from heavens-above.com:

"Quite a number of satellites that can be observed are tumbling, and this causes their brightness to vary with time. This variation can often be seen with the naked eye, and the frequency of the brightness peaks can range between several per second, to once every minute or so...The tumbling can be started by several mechanisms, but the most common is probably out-gasing."

The full text is here.

#104396 - 09/03/07 10:38 AM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Ironraven,

Sounds to me like you witnessed an Iridium Flash.

http://www.assa.org.au/observing/iridium/

I once saw an iridium flash over east Scotland during the daytime. The locations and times of the Iridium flashes can be predicted and observed in advance.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/03/07 10:46 AM)

#104600 - 09/04/07 07:11 PM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I did see a small satelite come down the other night. It came from the southwest and fell to the northeast. It did not take long to burn up, once it had heated up.

#104640 - 09/04/07 11:25 PM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

Great info. Now I know what those stationary lights are. I kept thinking they're too bright and in the wrong place to be a star. Is there some sort of sky guide to these satellites?

#104654 - 09/05/07 12:35 AM Re: odd sighting [Re: LED]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: LED
Is there some sort of sky guide to these satellites?

Heavens Above

"Our aim is to provide you with all the information you need to observe satellites such as the International Space Station and the Space Shuttle, spectacular events such as the dazzlingly bright flares from Iridium satellites as well as a wealth of other spaceflight and astronomical information.

We not only provide the times of visibility, but also detailed star charts showing the satellite's track through the heavens. All our pages, including the graphics, are generated in real-time and customized for your location and time zone."

#104717 - 09/05/07 01:44 PM Re: odd sighting [Re: LED]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: LED
Great info. Now I know what those stationary lights are. I kept thinking they're too bright and in the wrong place to be a star. Is there some sort of sky guide to these satellites?

LED,
If they're stationary, those might not be satellites you're seeing. A satellite is buzzing across the night sky at a good clip (17,500mph if I'm not mistaken), and can usually only be seen from about the 10:00 and 2:00 positions. After that, it it's so far away and moving so fast that it begins to fade and disappear from (naked eye) vision.

Ironraven,
I've never seen what you described unless I did and didn't take note of it... maybe just dismissed it. I'll have to watch for that effect.

If anyone has access to quality night vision devices, take a look at the night sky on a clear, dark night. I was amazed at how many satellites are moving up there. It made me feel ignorant. Also, they're travelling in all directions, as opposed to the normal north/south direction that we see most of them travelling.

#104785 - 09/06/07 02:20 AM Re: odd sighting [Re: LED]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Stationary... The only things in the night sky that appears stationary is Polaris. If you mean stationary relative to known stars, if it is twinkling, it is a star. If doesn't twinkle, it's a planet. If it's noisy and blinking, you are a landing strip and about to become road kill. smile

This guy moved as a satellite. I'm tempted to say it was an Iridium flare due to the brightness (the peak was on par with the ISS or Jupiter, maybe a little more), but this wasn't a single *FLASH*, it was *blink-blink-blink* during it's entire transit of my sky. Increase in intensity seemed to mirror the decrease.

I keep going back to the 15 second cycle- I couldn't see any red or green blinks, I listened for anything that could have been engine noise and it moved pretty darn fast, so I don't THINK it was an aircraft. I've got to think it is a satellite that is spining, but I can't find any with a rotation that is a harmonic of 15 seconds.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104801 - 09/06/07 05:14 AM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

Twinkling, not moving, star. Got it. Time to break out my old starguide book.

#104871 - 09/06/07 09:04 PM Re: odd sighting [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Ironraven,

Could have been Aurora, the blink-blink-blink being the equivalent to the Donut on a rope contrail frequency during the nightime.

Was there a infrasound effect, something you couldn't hear but could feel in the pit of your stomach every 15 sec?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 233 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.