Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104642 - 09/04/07 11:29 PM car kits
DFW Offline
Journeyman

I'm putting together a home-made emergency kit for my car. I live in a part of the country that gets very cold in winter and hot in summer, so I'm concerned about the "shelf life" of the items in the kit, things like adhesives (duct tape, Bandaids) and plastics (poncho, tarp/groundsheet) etc. I haven't chosen to include any meds, but they would also be effected by temp extremes. The emergency candle is probably out. It would be a puddle after one summer day.

Anyone have any ideas about how often these things should be replaced?

Thanks -

DFW

#104651 - 09/05/07 12:06 AM Re: car kits [Re: DFW]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
DFW

How hot does it get where you live, it's been in the upper 90's here this summer, so with the windows rolled up its probably over 100 and the candles, duct tape,first aid supplies, plastic etc have done just fine.Oh yea !! winters can get cold, in the teens and everything survives, I read another post that mentioned keeping food & esp water in a soft sided cooler, that might be an option for you to try.

Shadow out !!!

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#104652 - 09/05/07 12:13 AM Re: car kits [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
here's what i've got in my car. this should cover most potential car-related situations

Car Kit
1 full case of MREs
2 15-packs of bottled water
heavy wool blanket
poncho liner
dynamo-powered emergency radio(freeplay plus)

1st aid kit:
weeks supply of Rx meds
roll of gauze
medical tape
antibiotic ointment
alcohol wipes
assorted sized flexible cloth bandaids
folding scissors
bottle of hydrogen peroxide
bottle of isypropal alcohol 91%
short belt for tourniquet
Advil caplets
Pepto
baking soda
benadryl
"new skin"

Car tool kit
inova X1 LED
duct tape
electrical tape
jumper cables
Fix-A-Flat
3 bottles of oil
2 bic lighters
100' of 550 cord
adjustable wrench
4 spare AA litium batteries
Shop-cloths
hand flares
reflective road markers

ETA pigskin gloves and 2 emergency ponchos(dunno how i keep forgetting to list these things)

Edited by Erik_D (09/05/07 10:46 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#104672 - 09/05/07 02:27 AM Re: car kits [Re: DFW]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Inspect the kit and rotate season specific gear every quarter. Replace anything that needs replacing- like meds in the summer, most of them don't like high heat. And the candle is easy- look at the NuWicks, and store the wicks in a little baggie that you tape to the lid. Or find small oil lamp and carry a small bottle of fuel, or a small alcohol stove.

At least that's how I do it- my annual low is usually somewheres between -30 and -40, and the annual high is right around the hundred degree mark. If your weather is worse... well, the theory should be sound.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104680 - 09/05/07 02:50 AM Re: car kits [Re: Erik_B]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Erik,
Good job preparing.
You may need to schedule a seasonal rotation if you have extreme variations.
I did not see gloves on your list; definitely include these in a car kit.
Also a headlamp will supplement the Innova with a hands free option which may be very important while working on a car in the dark.

Not to sound morbid but do you have any expedient weapons? A broken down car can often be a target for thugs. Maybe keep a D-cell maglite (I know it is a dinosaur but..) and a LARGE tire iron in the trunk. Having two large tools in your hands while disabled is both legal and discouraging to thieves.

In this day and age I assume all your drivers have cell phones? Todat this is a total must have. If check out a prepaid emergency option like Tracfone.

#104686 - 09/05/07 03:03 AM Re: car kits [Re: billym]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
BillyM, may I delicately point out that tire irons aren't any good for anything but removing hubcaps?

For lug nuts, you want one of those X-shaped things that you can stomp on after the fool that put your tires on used an impact wrench set on WELD.

As a weapon, a good-sized pry bar is much more useful. Used properly with consideration for aim and windspeed, the V on the hooked end can probably remove someone's nose, which can be discouraging to them and helpful to you, as the tears it causes will blur their vision enough so they don't see the back of the hook coming at them on its return trip. grin

Sue

#104700 - 09/05/07 03:45 AM Re: car kits [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Maybe, but once it's gone, it's gone. Unless you've got a stack of them...

You go into parking garages??? Yikes! That's where the mutant ninja fire-breathing zombies with ray-guns hang out! You're gonna need more than just a tire iron!

Sue

#104709 - 09/05/07 10:52 AM Re: car kits [Re: billym]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: billym
Erik,
Good job preparing.
You may need to schedule a seasonal rotation if you have extreme variations.
I did not see gloves on your list; definitely include these in a car kit.
Also a headlamp will supplement the Innova with a hands free option which may be very important while working on a car in the dark.

Not to sound morbid but do you have any expedient weapons?[/b] A broken down car can often be a target for thugs. Maybe keep a D-cell maglite (I know it is a dinosaur but..) and a LARGE tire iron in the trunk. Having two large tools in your hands while disabled is both legal and discouraging to thieves.

[b]In this day and age I assume all your drivers have cell phones?
Todat this is a total must have. If check out a prepaid emergency option like Tracfone.

forgot to list them but the tool kit also contains pigskin gloves and 2 emergency ponchos

i havent found a good deal on a good led headlamp, but i'm looking. Suggestions? cost not an issue.

for self defense i rely on my EDC folding knife and two years of MA training, as i'm not of age to purchase a handgun and a long gun is impractical for car use.

yeah, prepaid cell phone with 1000 minutes is part of my EDC.
EDC
Inova X1
SOG multi tool
prepaid cellphone
emergency poncho
coleman FAK
2 emergency water rations
15' 550 cord
advil travel sized bottle wrapped in duct tape
wallet
Floss-Card
sample credit card wrapped with duct tape and electrical tape
p-51, photon mini, 2 gig flash drive, and 3 days of RX meds on keychain
Benchmade Ambush

Edited by Erik_D (09/05/07 11:08 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#104710 - 09/05/07 11:27 AM Re: car kits [Re: DFW]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What's the emergency candle for (in your kit)? Light? get a good LED flashlight. Heat? Get a small propane campstove like the MSR Pocket Rocket. Signaling? Much better options than a candle.

As has been said, go through the kit quarterly and change things. It helps you remember what's in the kit.

As for meds and other heat sensitive items, get a small cooler. What color is your vehicle? Folks it's a fact that white cars (and trucks) are cooler in a hot sun. Why people buy black and other neat looking (but HOT) colors. . . Even here in SOCAL it's not unusual to see a black interior wrapped in a high gloss black paint job.

#104714 - 09/05/07 01:19 PM Re: car kits [Re: Russ]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
In defense of the Nuwick-type emergency candles, they do supply both light and heat, they're self-contained and light weight, and darn-near idiot proof.

- Frank2135, who has recurring problems with propane tanks he THOUGHT were full.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.