Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104394 - 09/03/07 05:30 AM First Aid Bag
Ronin Offline
Stranger

Does anyone have a good source for empty FAK bags? I am putting together my own custom FAK, just need a bag at this point.

#104395 - 09/03/07 09:24 AM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: Ronin]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I did a complete FAK revamp a year ago and found that if it's marketed as a "FAK bag," meaning lots of compartments/pockets, red exterior, a white cross and the words "First Aid" stenciled on the outside, the price goes up considerably. And often the online sources don't provide a decent look at the interior layout, a big drawback for me. Obviously your choice is going to depend on the amount and depth of the supplies you include.

Here's one of the largest selections I found for "first aid kit bags." But still pricey (I'm "thrifty").

My wife actually deserves credit for pointing me in another direction. She suggested I look at a soft-sided bag like she uses to carry toiletries/make-up when we travel. By their very nature, lots of compartments with clear sides to see the contents. eBags.com has a fair selection of kits on the small side — a couple here and here.

For a larger kit, you might consider soft-sided fishing tackle bags. Huge selection of sizes/configurations and by design, lots of compartments. Take a look at Bass Pro's selection. Some include clear plastic compartmentalized containers which may or may not appeal to you. For one of my more recent smaller kits, I ended up using the #3 organizer bag here from Outdoor Research.

You might look at soft-sided camera bags. All shapes and sizes with compartments at a reasonable price.

#104399 - 09/03/07 12:25 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: xbanker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You could look at "range bags" too. My vehicle FAK is a "nylon" (who knows what it really is) bag, it has six snap closed pockets on the sides (where I stick the most often used items), and zippered central compartment that is large enough for just about everything else. Got mine, if I recall correctly, from Cheaper Than Dirt, for about $15 (altho that was quite a few years ago)...

#104404 - 09/03/07 01:47 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
You could try running down to your local ambulance or fire station. Sometimes they have bags that they'll toss out as they get "worn" out. If you don't mind a bit of dirt, they've still got plenty of life left.

#104411 - 09/03/07 03:15 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: Ronin]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Ronin,

I was surfing through the Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) www.mec.ca site recently and saw a great deal on First Aid Bags in the Camping - Health and Safety section.

They come in 3 sizes (Product #4007-376 - small, medium, large) are red in color with a white cross, fold open completely and have clear interior sections. The price is between $7 and $15 CAN and the bags have recieved 4 excellent reviews on the site.

I have dealt with MEC many times in the past and found them to be a great company with terrific customer service. You have to be a member to shop with them but it is free, good for life and only takes about a minute on-line or by telephone.

Standard disclaimer applies here: I am not affiliated with MEC in any way, other than I like to shop there (when my wife says I can).

Mike

#104429 - 09/03/07 05:40 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: Ronin]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

It depends on how large of a kit you're talking about, but I packaged a decently-sized kit using a bag intended for toiletries. I can't find the exact bag that I used, but it was one that was something between these and this one, except larger.

You might also look into soft or hard sided tackle boxes for fishing. Basically, you just want something with a million compartments to keep everything visible and organized.

#104430 - 09/03/07 05:43 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: xbanker]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Bingo! The one I used was made by Outdoor Research, and was one of their "backcountry organizers," a predecessor to some of the ones currently available.

#104448 - 09/03/07 09:07 PM Re: First Aid Bag [Re: Ronin]
Derek_G Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Try nocora.com Very durable and you can order the bags separately

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.